about parents visiting

my chinese parents will visit us soon,but according to our apartment's agreement, it only allow guest to stay two weeks,so we are kind of worried is there any other way?

£Ð£®£Ó¡¡cause we just came back from China,even our apartment was co-sponsored by other people,£É don't think we could rent other one for them...

does anybody have some idea?¡¡£Éappreciate a lot.thank you!

Check yer local craigslist listings for 'renting a room' over at http://www.craigslist.org

and

contact your local chinese church, put some feelers out about temporary housing, either a rental or a barter or for free.

If i was you ,i would talk to the one you lease the apartment from, maybe if you explain your situation, that your parents will travel a long way , and it is in fact a timely visit, maybe they would make this a acception, i would at least give it a try :bangin:

"Richard"

Who's gonna tell em...

Do you have apartment police? :yahoo:

What is the worst thing that could happen? Kicked you and them OUT? I don't think so.

These people are relatives, not guests. They ARE visiting but I would think they wouldn't mind parents coming over to visit.

Besides what are they going to say... "I saw some old people living with you guys"

Check around with you neighbors and see how strict this place is... you may be surprised to find out that they don't care as long as you don't have any... wild parties! ;) :happy2: ;)

p.s. - If your parents are like my parents... they are as quiet as mice!

Edited by Urkidding (see edit history)

I agree with Andrew - overly strict rules are often only enforced for those who abuse them - but check your lease to see if you might be charged extra for the time they're here. That 2 week limit sounds like they might be rounding up to a month.

I would talk to your landlord and explain the situation to them because the reason they put that in the contract is to keep some people from subrenting out to others and claim that they are visiting. But if it is your parent they would understand. At most they will ask for a little bit more in rent and that is still usually cheaper then renting another room or apartment.

Joe

During the 1st two weeks of their visit, if mom or dad happen to slip or fall and hurt themselves at the apt. complex, they could always sue the apts. and probably have enough $ left over (after pain and suffering) to own the complex.

You''l have free rent, the apt complex will be asking your parents to lower thier rent and everyone lives happily after. ahhh only in America, isn't it wonderful? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks everybody here! I tried to talk to my apartment officer before,they were so strict, I was told it doesn't allow even my family stay there over two weeks! we just found out our apartment is so heartless after we moved in! but what can we do since we have one year lease ahead.. :)

actually,my parents asked me if I can rent some business place for them,so I can sell some chinese commodity there and they can stay there at night,but I don't know how to start...

Thanks everybody here! I tried to talk to my apartment officer before,they were so strict, I was told it doesn't allow even my family stay there over two weeks! we just found out our apartment is so heartless after we moved in! but what can we do since we have one year lease ahead.. :rolleyes:

actually,my parents asked me if I can rent some business place for them,so I can sell some chinese commodity there and they can stay there at night,but I don't know how to start...

A lease is usually a little "loose" legally. That is why a lease has all it's rules spelled out. If you violate those rules, they still have a hard time getting you out of an apartment (if you are still paying rent). If not stated exactly what the two weeks mean, you could have them stay with you for two weeks, let them stay in a hotel for a night, and then let them stay with you for two weeks. Technically, the guest is staying two weeks... However, I would think that the landlord could also decide not to renew the lease with you at the end of the current terms. So it would be a Catch 22 for you to decide what to do.

Another issue to consider would probably be the occupancy permit, which states the maximum amount of people who could live in a particular area.

Ah geez. tourists want to sell 'chinese trade goods' ?

What city are you in?

Mostly, the concept of 'shop houses' does not exist in the USA - it's a prevalent form of 'doing business' in China for many family-run small businesses. A real 'shop house' in the usa would be astronomical in price, imo. There, instead, are markets they can set up shop in, rental by the day or week, depending, and NOT sleep there. What happened when you took my first suggestion of contacting the chinese church in your area? Any results from those conversations?

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have any other family in the area that they could "stay"with at night for the remainder of the time other parents or friends i mean the apartment cant really regulate who is with you during the day time right?....just an idea

Who's gonna tell em...

Do you have apartment police? :blink:

What is the worst thing that could happen? Kicked you and them OUT? I don't think so.

These people are relatives, not guests. They ARE visiting but I would think they wouldn't mind parents coming over to visit.

Besides what are they going to say... "I saw some old people living with you guys"

Check around with you neighbors and see how strict this place is... you may be surprised to find out that they don't care as long as you don't have any... wild parties! B) B) :lol:

p.s. - If your parents are like my parents... they are as quiet as mice!

I have to agree with Urkidding. Don't sweat it. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Rule of life in the military anyway.

Do you have any other family in the area that they could "stay"with at night for the remainder of the time other parents or friends i mean the apartment cant really regulate who is with you during the day time right?....just an idea

It is hard for them to do that at night too. They need to give you 24 hours before they go into your house anyway. If they break in then just smack them with something. Call Dylan and tell him you have a robber in the house what should you do. At night Dylan is always awake.

Edited by flowers (see edit history)