What do Chinese use in the US to write in Chinese

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask a question............ :D :P :blink:

Ling is not really a computer expert, and I refused to have her bring a Windows XP Chinese version over to the states, since if anything went wrong I would not be able to fix it. And Ling has had many repairs to the computer she left behind.... :blink:

So, she has an almost brand new desk top computer with English Windows XP.

So, my question is what do other Chinese in the US working on an English Windows XP system use to input Chinese Characters into e-mails and instant messenger messages ??

Is there special software or input devices that Chinese use to communicate with loved one back in China that can not read English??

Also....Simplified or Traditional Chinese or Both??

The curious want to know and I want to help the wife write her family since no one speaks English.... :D :D

Tom and Ling

My Yu uses the PinYin IME that is built into Windows Vista, and Windows XP, simply add the language bar, and support for eastern languages.

Windows XP:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Goto: Date, Time, Regional Options
  3. Then Add other languages
  4. Check Install files for East Asian Languages (This will allow computer to properly display Chinese Characters)
  5. May have to reboot.
  6. Repeat Open control panel.. Add other languages.
  7. Click <Details>
  8. Under installed services click Add.
  9. Roll input languages to Chinese (PRC) then check keyboard layout/IME, select the default MS Pinyin IME and OK
  10. Under Preferences select Language Bar.. and make sure language bare and additional icons as checked.
  11. OK out of the settings diologs.
  12. An (EN) should now be displayed next to system tray on the windows toolbar. If you click that you can switch from EN to CH input.

Google also offers an IME that can be added to XP. Repeat step 6 through 11 to add it.

http://www.google.com/ime/pinyin/

Language support is also built into Macs.

My wife says the pinyin input methods are too slow. She uses a Wubi input method which is like typing in shorthand.

I found NJ Star Communicator and download it for free which includes a WuBiAZiXing method. She doesn't have to stop and select which character like required in the pinyin method. She can type a lengthy email is just a few short minutes. If your wife knows WuBi, then this is the kind to get for her.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

If your wife does not know PinYin or the WuBiAZiXing method of input, you're stuck with handwriting recognition.

My handwriting solution for my wife works perfectly for my daughter, but not at all for my wife. I'd suggest having a Chinese OS installed and be prepared for the service calls.

If your wife does not know PinYin or the WuBiAZiXing method of input, you're stuck with handwriting recognition.

My handwriting solution for my wife works perfectly for my daughter, but not at all for my wife. I'd suggest having a Chinese OS installed and be prepared for the service calls.

Yes this is what I originally thought.."I'd suggest having a Chinese OS installed and be prepared for the service calls."' :eatyum: ;) :xmastree:

Tom and Ling

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...amp;btnG=Search

It can be done without having the Chinese PRC version of XP, but she needs to be able to tell you WHICH Input Method Editor she can use , as there are at least 6 that she can choose from the Input Method Editor Settings for Chinese Language.

But, before that, ya gotta install the Chinese Language packs - one for the OS, one for browser support.

Take a look at the link above, it's covered in there, buried deep with nuggets.

FWIW, my wife knows the quanpin method, but we only got to that point via trial and error reiterations...

NO need to install traditional chinese - that's mostly for TaiWan and some parts of Hong Kong... Stick with Simplified.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

My Yu uses the PinYin IME that is built into Windows Vista, and Windows XP, simply add the language bar, and support for eastern languages.

Windows XP:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Goto: Date, Time, Regional Options
  3. Then Add other languages
  4. Check Install files for East Asian Languages (This will allow computer to properly display Chinese Characters)
  5. May have to reboot.
  6. Repeat Open control panel.. Add other languages.
  7. Click <Details>
  8. Under installed services click Add.
  9. Roll input languages to Chinese (PRC) then check keyboard layout/IME, select the default MS Pinyin IME and OK
  10. Under Preferences select Language Bar.. and make sure language bare and additional icons as checked.
  11. OK out of the settings diologs.
  12. An (EN) should now be displayed next to system tray on the windows toolbar. If you click that you can switch from EN to CH input.

Google also offers an IME that can be added to XP. Repeat step 6 through 11 to add it.

http://www.google.com/ime/pinyin/

Language support is also built into Macs.

Hi dnoblett,

Tried your instructions and they worked well.

We will try other metods as well.

We also have an electronic translator which we bought in China which has a CD and a computer interface. So we will also try to install this to.

What is good about this electronic translator is it has the ability to write in Chinese Characters and interprets them, but all the CD and instructions are in Chinese.

With all of the suggestions from here...I should have Ling up and running.... :lol: :) :V:

Tom and Ling

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask a question............ :o :D :ph34r:

Ling is not really a computer expert, and I refused to have her bring a Windows XP Chinese version over to the states, since if anything went wrong I would not be able to fix it. And Ling has had many repairs to the computer she left behind.... :huh:

So, she has an almost brand new desk top computer with English Windows XP.

So, my question is what do other Chinese in the US working on an English Windows XP system use to input Chinese Characters into e-mails and instant messenger messages ??

Is there special software or input devices that Chinese use to communicate with loved one back in China that can not read English??

Also....Simplified or Traditional Chinese or Both??

The curious want to know and I want to help the wife write her family since no one speaks English.... :angry: :D

Tom and Ling

On Vista Ultimate Edition you can have two profiles. 1 in English and 1 in Chinese. Ultimate is the only one that can do this. Also Microsoft office 2007 in ultimate can have chinese too. I think that can solve your problem but it is expensive.