How It Went

First, I must thank everyone here at Candle. Some people may think that some of the posts become mundane and duplicitous, but I know the information I garnered while I had blinders on during the last weeks was truly priceless.

I attended ACH on the 1st and was finally called to a window. The VO was a very attractive young lady. She politely answered my questions and I was quickly on my way. Easy questions according to her but some that I had worried over for some time.

As everyone has mentioned, the great 7:15 rat race the next morning came and went. I waited until 11:30 before Yi came down. There were many school kids interviewed that day for I am guessing B2 visas and at least three were denied so a large crowd gathered at the corner to see the denials and this kept me from seeing Yi immediately. She was in the no BS mood and I had no idea what she received. Finally by the elevators she told me she got the pink but was concerned that we had not checked out of the Westin in time so she wanted to get going and not pay additional charges. She told me after check out about the lost X-Ray was why she was not excited.

She went through the normal pre-interview steps and went to the window and began her interview. I have 19 Hispanics working for me and Yi's English is better than all but two of them, unless she feels intimidated by another English speaking person. She said she was nervous and luckily the VO switched to Mandarin after the first 3 or 4 questions. The questions in no particular order:

Good Morning

Do you speak English?

Who is your fiancee? Yi corrected the VO that it was husband

Where did you meet?

When did you meet?

How many times did he come to China? I made four trips including this one. The second was only for two days as I knew that we would both be busy for the summer.

Why only two days in March?

The VO also asked/stated if I was still with her after Yi told her I came in November.

Why did you marry him so quickly?

Why do you say you love him?

How do you feel about your English?

Have your parents met him?

Do they like him?

Has he been married before?

How long?

Why divorce after such a long time?

Do the boys live with him?

What are their names/ages?

Do you talk only on the cell phone?

What do you talk about?

What food does he like?

What is his favorite color?

Do you have pictures?

What does he do?

What do you do?

How much does he make a month?

How much do you make a month?

Has he sent you any money?

How much?

How old are you?

And my favorite exchange, How old is he? after answering the VO replied, Oh really, he looks much older in the pictures.

She said that there were other questions but she doesn't remember because it went by so quickly. What bothered her was the VO was constantly typing the entire time and it distracted Yi. The other thing that bothered her was that the VO so "so beautiful and spoke perfect Mandarin". She had the same VO as I spoke to at ACH. Not implying anything other than very coincidental.

I chose to gamble on the quality over quantity approach in setting up Yi's proof file. It was the right approach for us and this VO. She correctly answered all the questions and while she did not supply any back up proof that was in the file to the majority of the questions, when she did need something it was immediately at her disposal, arranged by her the night before.

There is a chopper pilot on here who's mentioned before that this is all a crap shoot, luck of the draw, call it what you want. I firmly believe this. Had she been interviewed by a VO with a woody to deny anyone she may not have passed. We drew the right VO for us. She asked many questions that someone should know if they are in a real relationship. Asked them very quickly with additional stress to see how they were answered. If I could thank this particular VO in person, I don't know where I would start. After reading the trials and heartache of Charles and Tsap and others I feel very fortunate that we did get the perfect draw we have been waiting a year for. Hope this helps someone.

First, I must thank everyone here at Candle. Some people may think that some of the posts become mundane and duplicitous, but I know the information I garnered while I had blinders on during the last weeks was truly priceless.

I attended ACH on the 1st and was finally called to a window. The VO was a very attractive young lady. She politely answered my questions and I was quickly on my way. Easy questions according to her but some that I had worried over for some time.

As everyone has mentioned, the great 7:15 rat race the next morning came and went. I waited until 11:30 before Yi came down. There were many school kids interviewed that day for I am guessing B2 visas and at least three were denied so a large crowd gathered at the corner to see the denials and this kept me from seeing Yi immediately. She was in the no BS mood and I had no idea what she received. Finally by the elevators she told me she got the pink but was concerned that we had not checked out of the Westin in time so she wanted to get going and not pay additional charges. She told me after check out about the lost X-Ray was why she was not excited.

She went through the normal pre-interview steps and went to the window and began her interview. I have 19 Hispanics working for me and Yi's English is better than all but two of them, unless she feels intimidated by another English speaking person. She said she was nervous and luckily the VO switched to Mandarin after the first 3 or 4 questions. The questions in no particular order:

Good Morning

Do you speak English?

Who is your fiancee? Yi corrected the VO that it was husband

Where did you meet?

When did you meet?

How many times did he come to China? I made four trips including this one. The second was only for two days as I knew that we would both be busy for the summer.

Why only two days in March?

The VO also asked/stated if I was still with her after Yi told her I came in November.

Why did you marry him so quickly?

Why do you say you love him?

How do you feel about your English?

Have your parents met him?

Do they like him?

Has he been married before?

How long?

Why divorce after such a long time?

Do the boys live with him?

What are their names/ages?

Do you talk only on the cell phone?

What do you talk about?

What food does he like?

Do you have pictures?

What does he do?

What do you do?

How much does he make a month?

How much do you make a month?

Has he sent you any money?

How much?

How old are you?

And my favorite exchange, How old is he? after answering the VO replied, Oh really, he looks much older in the pictures.

She said that there were other questions but she doesn't remember because it went by so quickly. What bothered her was the VO was constantly typing the entire time and it distracted Yi. The other thing that bothered her was that the VO so "so beautiful and spoke perfect Mandarin". She had the same VO as I spoke to at ACH. Not implying anything other than very coincidental.

I chose to gamble on the quality over quantity approach in setting up Yi's proof file. It was the right approach for us and this VO. She correctly answered all the questions and while she did not supply any back up proof that was in the file to the majority of the questions, when she did need something it was immediately at her disposal, arranged by her the night before.

There is a chopper pilot on here who's mentioned before that this is all a crap shoot, luck of the draw, call it what you want. I firmly believe this. Had she been interviewed by a VO with a woody to deny anyone she may not have passed. We drew the right VO for us. She asked many questions that someone should know if they are in a real relationship. Asked them very quickly with additional stress to see how they were answered. If I could thank this particular VO in person, I don't know where I would start. After reading the trials and heartache of Charles and Tsap and others I feel very fortunate that we did get the perfect draw we have been waiting a year for. Hope this helps someone.

Congratulations! Great essay! This will help many..

R/ Pete

Thank you for sharing... but I wonder...

B) :D :lol: :D :blink: :angry:

And what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? Sorry, couldn't resist.

the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour. :D

Oh yes, CONGRATS!

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)