Beijing China re-visited

Yeah, gotta have some reaction shots. :hug: Do they let you inside The Birds Nest or do ya have to stay outside?

You can go inside the Birds nest but will cost you 80 rmb? The water cube is 30 RMB.

We decided to go in, the tickets were 50 rmb each, it was cool but I think the outside structure is the real attraction, inside it seemed to be pretty much another stadium...but it was a haven from the wind outside, we walked around and then relaxed in the sun and took some pics.

Richard

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We moved to another Home Inn hotel about half a mile from the Square. The room is smaller and more expensive but it is in a GREAT location and we will actually save money by not using he subway and corrupt taxi's. We did alot of walking taking in the new sights and shops here, much cheaper then where they sell the bugs. We hit the square real quick but it was very cold and windy so we stayed near the alley shops. Had a very good lunch at a Korean place. It was a family owned and run restaurant with maybe 6 tables but the food was great. Didn't do much else then hit the little shops and take pictures. I went out to get some of those cakes while Ting chatted with her mom on her new computer. I think mom politely chewed our butts for me not having a thicker coat and Ting not kicking my butt hard enough to go buy one. If the weather improves enough today I'll go try some bugs so CFL peeps can have some entertainment shots of me :lol:

To give you a perspective of the tourist trap area where that sell the bugs, a terracotta statue there asking price is about 189 RMB. You can get it here for maybe 18 RMB or less. Kind of funny every time we see a big store, according to Ting it is "World Famous" so cute.

Well off again on another adventure :smartass:

gallery_19773_458_280241.jpg

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)

We were up at the crack of dawn and off to the shops. After much looking and bargaining we finally found me a decent coat and both of us some really nice hand made gloves. We decided to hit the Square and the Forbidden City today. It was cold but with our new duds we were prepared for it. We walked the half mile to the square and got some good photos. Every time I whipped out the camera to take a photo of Ting or another monument she would instantly say "Honey ask someone to take photo of us". To which I would reply "I can't speak the language, you have to ask". This went on for the better part of the day, I think she just liked needling me a bit for the laugh. Once we hit the Forbidden city we first went in a side entrance to some kind of garden area that cost 3 RMB a head. At the back of this area was a drained fish pond that said no fishing next to an empty ticket booth. All the fish appeared to be removed and put into wall mounted aquariums for the winter. When we entered the Forbidden City the wind was starting to pick up a bit along with the amount of people. We purchased the tickets to enter at 40 RMB each, a bit pricey to say the least. This place was much larger than I thought and about 3/4 of the way through I was starting to feel it and so was Ting. The buildings there were incredible but the lack of up keep was showing through more than just a little bit, it's a shame to let such a beautiful monument become so dilapidated.

We buckled up and pushed all the way to the end of the city and decided to go back over to Noagan Shopping Center. On the way out we were deep into conversation and I was cold and tired. Some guy kept interrupting us with some offer and I quickly told him Bu yao (Don't want). The third time I had to tell him as he was now being rude I verbally took his head off right above the chin line with another Bu yao. He laughed and said "oh you mad hahaha" and went about his business irritating other people. Ting thought it was hilarious seeing the look on my face, and all i could do was shake my head and dream of that guys neck in my hands later that night :coolthumb: . I don't loose my temper easily but this guy was REALLY rude and I was REALLY tired and sore, made for a bad combination. The shopping center has a Dairy Queen there on the 5th floor and some very welcome chairs to sit in, the Blizzard is Tings new favorite Ice Cream by the way :) . The wind is thoroughly kicking by now and the temperature is dropping fast. We went down the street selling the bugs to eat, I asked ting if she would eat that, she said maybe on a 50 RMB dare. This coming from a woman who can eat a chicken head and a duck eye. Not to mention the guy cooking them up wouldn't eat them either. Ting said not to eat it, I would maybe get sick so I pussed out and agreed with her. Now in my defense the damn things were still moving! I think that was the deciding factor for me. Squid and rat on a stick is about as adventurous as I will get, draw the line at things that bite me back. Maybe if a have a few drinks and I am in that area again...who knows. ;)

gallery_19773_458_128309.jpg

On our way back home we stopped to get a ride home with one of those small 3 wheel motorcycle cart things. The old guy wanted 15 rmb. A bit stiff but Ting and I were tired and cold so I agreed even after she told me to shut up maybe bargain for 10 rmb. Then he upped the price to 20 rmb turning his near toothless mouth into my general direction to tell us this. The smell from this mans breath almost made me loose my lunch and I had to exit the cart with a quickness, it was like he just got done eating dog shit. I was going to leave anyway after he said 20 rmb for a 10 rmb ride, wish I spoke the language well enough to tell him where he could put the 20 rmb. On our walk home we had many a laugh discussing what that guy ate all day before he almost melted my face off. We picked up a bottle of some clear liquor on the way back to our room, I took 1 sip and gagged. So sad, I was really looking forward to a lil night cap and here I bought something that tastes like paint thinner. Think we will stay in the rest of the next day and finish up our visa paper work and recover from the long walk. I went down stairs for a quick smoke and to relax my back a bit while ting was in the shower. I went into the store directly across from the hotel to try and get a light. As the nice lady there with her 2 year old son was rummaging in a bag to see if she had a lighter I started to look around. It did not register at first what I was seeing, apparently I had walked into a VERY ADULT sex shop. As soon as she said she didn't have a lighter I stepped out or rather slunk out, face down a quickly down the street a little bit. Hopping no one saw the stupid sex starved foreigner come out of the shop. Even though it is not true I know that's what would have went through there minds. After closer inspection of my surroundings the 1st 3 shops by my hotel are sex shops, I was stuck thinking, how the hell did I not notice this for the past 2 or 3 days? I told Ting about my experience, she thought it was funny as hell and she knew about the shops though she has never been in one. This had me thinking of making a list called "You know your getting old when..." The number 1 slot would be filled in with "You don't notice sex shops anymore".

I really need to find a back message shop, we did come across a foot message shop and ting reminded me Lee said to get one. But it was cold and I am probably to most ticklish person on the planet when it comes to my feet. I could only see that experience ending badly and being posted on some sort of international version of Saturday night live. Most of the food I had today was really very good and didn't upset my stomach to much. So food wise my 2nd time around in China has been not to bad.

OK kids time to go hunt down breakfast. :coolthumb:

Guest WenDylan

Thanks for posting! You're thread is making me hungry, though, they closed all the Dairy Queen's here... they were famous, maybe not world famous, but they were famous... for somethings... :blink:

Keep us posted, I really enjoyed your pictures!

Nice write-up. :blink:

You definately don't want to be bashful about getting your picture taken together. They could come in handy for the interview. :o We would usually try to find younger looking folks who might be less leary of a "foreigner." BTW, if you can find a Cubs shirt for Ting to wear in the pics it could help your cause. :D

Well we both just vegged in the room and watched some movies to recover from our previous days walk. The hair on my legs' was rubbed away and red and sore. To day we will take it easy to, stay local and do some trinket shopping.

I've just gotta ask ya buddy, and I may get banned for this question...but...after reading your posts, I have GOT to ask ya, are you Don's younger brother...or...heavens forbid...HIS SON?

I LOVE reading both of your's travels diarys....they are both good, and hilarious. Thank you.....

tsap seui

We kept it light yesterday as far as walking went. I have been learning very quickly the correct prices for food around here as it seems they love to charge the white man more. Every time I come back in the room with food Ting will ask me how much did I spend. Then we would go out and she would ask the merchant how much for something, the something being what I had bought last night. Most of the time they told her a cheaper price than what they sold it to me for. Then I would come around the corner and we would start in on why they want to dishonor China and cheat people. I love poking cheats in the eye and causing them loss of face, they deserve it. Every morning I buy some sort of breakfast cakes from the guy across the street. You deal with me fairly you will earn my business, you cheat me, well lets just say you better hold on to your socks for some public humiliation.

gallery_19773_458_187011.jpg

I did a little trinket shopping with Ting and looked around for a coat for her. They would always quote some outrageous price, sometimes as we walked away they would offer a slightly better deal and sometimes not. The general rule of thumb is when shopping don't be seen together and when you find something you like, go out side and discuss it and then send in your Chinese SO to negotiate the price. Once that is done then you can walk up and pay for it. So you want a fair price? don't show your foreigner face LOL. We did find a hair cut place and I must say they did a great job. The lady doing the shampoo had rather sharp fingernails, I felt like if I moved I'd be getting stitches so I kept as still as a rock.

There was a nice silk shop and we did find a decent suit top I would like for our wedding. Ting said he wanted to much, like 800 RMB that's about 117.00 dollars US? That is not with pants, just the suit jacket.

Seem a good price to me but I think if I bought it Ting would mop slap me.

Don...I mean Dad... can I have a loan? ROFL...don't ban me, be gentle ha ha ha.

Well it has been a rather interesting morning so far. While I was out getting breakfast a guy tried to pick my pocket right in front of a police guy. Now I am a very experienced traveler and good luck trying to pick this guys pocket. He did the usual bump and grab used by amateurs. I spun around and grabbed his wrist bending it back until he was on his knees, my passport still in his hand. The police guy rushed over and grabbed him, put some plastic cuffs on him and gave me back my passport before leading him off.

We are getting ready to spend the day with Tings cousin, he goes to school here but his studies are difficult and can only see us on a weekend. He is a very nice kid and does speak some English. He has lead the usual sheltered life style of a book worm so were going to take him to a few places he has never been to. What he doesn't know is he will be our official photographer for the day hahaha. :)

This morning I found two sweet cakes that resembled doughnuts but they were heavy like rocks and quite dense with sugar, not much flavor to them, Kind of like eating sugar bread, to sweet for me.

We also came across a tea house that has live shows but the admission cost was very high, I would still like to see one but Ting yanked me away fast before I wasted my money LOL.

There is still so much construction going on here, the dust from it covers everything. Starting to wish I had a face mask like I see people wear every so often.

OK were off to see the wizard of oz :)

Well it has been a rather interesting morning so far. While I was out getting breakfast a guy tried to pick my pocket right in front of a police guy. Now I am a very experienced traveler and good luck trying to pick this guys pocket. He did the usual bump and grab used by amateurs. I spun around and grabbed his wrist bending it back until he was on his knees, my passport still in his hand. The police guy rushed over and grabbed him, put some plastic cuffs on him and gave me back my passport before leading him off.

We are getting ready to spend the day with Tings cousin, he goes to school here but his studies are difficult and can only see us on a weekend. He is a very nice kid and does speak some English. He has lead the usual sheltered life style of a book worm so were going to take him to a few places he has never been to. What he doesn't know is he will be our official photographer for the day hahaha. :)

This morning I found two sweet cakes that resembled doughnuts but they were heavy like rocks and quite dense with sugar, not much flavor to them, Kind of like eating sugar bread, to sweet for me.

We also came across a tea house that has live shows but the admission cost was very high, I would still like to see one but Ting yanked me away fast before I wasted my money LOL.

There is still so much construction going on here, the dust from it covers everything. Starting to wish I had a face mask like I see people wear every so often.

OK were off to see the wizard of oz :)

It is the reason why I always remind Richard to be careful his wallet and his passport.

As for food,we have found that the sweet potatos in Beijing are better than in Shanghai. We like Shanghai "Baozi" but somehow expensive.

http://food.dlxp.com/photo/yp/2006111495126503.jpg

Edited by amanda1969 (see edit history)

I will have to try the soaking bit with those cakes next time. Didn't even occur to me to soak them like coffee sticks.

We just got back from getting a little BBQ from a shop out side out hotel. Some lady hit a little kid on her 3 wheel bike thingy and knocked him down. Mom came out swinging here purse and things went down hill from there, the fight lasted like 15 minutes and 4 or 5 people were swinging by then. So we had dinner and a show...

Tings cousin was about an hour late showing, the subway I guess was a bit confusing for him and slower than he anticipated. We took him to some tourist trap road with alot of shops and indoor malls. We fed the poor kid till I think he was hurt and then fed him some more. :lol:

All in all I think he had a good time. Other than our visit and the fight out side not much really happened today.