Beijing China re-visited

Well the sun should be rising any moment on my 3rd day in Beijing. The flight was thankfully uneventful. I am not sure what gate we got off at this time in China but it was nothing as beautiful as last time and the immigration lines and processing area now unfortunately resembled the American side of the house. I was able to meet usaRichard in Newark, we didn¡¯t have enough time to really grab lunch so I ran to Micky D¡¯s and crammed a couple Cheese burgers in my carry on, mama didn¡¯t raise no fool. Unfortunately Richard was a few rows back in a separate compartment so I couldn¡¯t really irritate him as much as I wanted. He was able to at some point just as I was about to try and zen out to sneak up and scare the living daylights out of me LOL. Any way my bag was waiting for me after a quick men¡¯s room break, so no waiting around for an hour like last time. When I exited the baggage claim area I saw Richard and his gal and Ting was next to them. She looked so different from the last time I saw her with a much improved fashion sense this time (I later found out Dad picked out the clothes lol). I was thinking WOW!, of course we were separated by a long railing, felt like forever to walk around this thing. Got my kiss this time though (yay) she was very nervous again like the first time we met, well not as bad but still pretty nervous. When someone sneezes close buy she jumps like a rabbit, need to get her off the caffeine.

Ting mentioned about taking the subway, I didn¡¯t want a repeat of last time so we took a cab. The cab driver made many excuses for taking ¡°short cut¡± to avoid traffic, he was of course ripping us off for an extra 50 rmb and adding 20 min to the drive time. I just wanted a shower, I didn¡¯t feel like arguing, yes every now and then I put away my fangs if I¡¯m really tired. The pollution was bad today, could barely see the sun as a pale orange disk in the sky.

The hotel promised us a single big bed with wireless internet, ¡°all the rooms had wifi internet¡°¡­riiight.

We get there, the room is a cracker box, the bathroom and shower, yeah won¡¯t even touch that one, would take to long. No internet and we were told just to stay for tonight in this room and would get us one of the three rooms with internet but all the rooms with internet had small twin beds, no big bed. All I could think of is, HERE WE GO AGAIN¡­.. I turned on Tings new computer to confirm my suspecision¡¯s, yep, no wifi connections in the area, so she was lying to us again. We left the next day after an attempt by the manager to get us to stay. I told Ting to tell her flat out NO, I don¡¯t like being lied to and refuse to stay at any business were lying is an accepted practice. That her lies are now causing me the pain and effort to move to another hotel. I would have given her the finger but I was able to restrain my self , the gesture probably would have been lost on her anyway. Home Inn was our next hotel, very happy with this hotel, everything as promised. I had to get a second bed spread to fold in half to lay on halfway through the night. Once again the rock hard beds is a huge point of back ache and sleepless nights for me. It did make it a little better, I got in 4 hours of sleep instead of 2 this time. On the second day Ting got off the phone laughing, the family tracked us down, we were cold busted and now were having lunch with #3 Uncle and a business associate.

We took the subway most of the way there and it was cheap (4 rmb) fast but very crowded. When we arrived Uncle #3 and his driver picked us up and went straight to a hot pot restaurant. The last time I was at one of these places caused me 2 hours on the toilet. My stomach start to gurgle with the remembrance of pain. I was pleasantly surprised by this restaurant, everyone got there own little hot pot to season as they pleased YAY! The meal was pretty good and was I able to get a bottle of cool drinking water instead of the hot cups of water. I don¡¯t know why but when ever I drink hot hater with a meal I feel ill afterwards. Uncle was his usually very funny self with a big smile, chop sticks in one hand and a smoke in the other. His relatives would remind him that the doctor told him not to smoke so much! When ever they tell him that, he with a great effort of show stuck one in his mouth, lights up and blows smoke in there direction LOL. When the feast was done and over, we said our good byes. The days was cool and brisk, the sun was out and overall very pretty today. Off to the subway and Tienanmen square! We both about half way into the trip decided to go back to the hotel for a rest. I guess the jet lag nailed me as I fell asleep shortly after arriving back to the room while watching a movie. Woke up about midnight, my body cursing me for the bed I was on. Went back to sleep till 4am and took a long hot shower, my back just couldn¡¯t take the bed anymore. Maybe we can meet up with Rich and his gal today before they have to leave. I will try and do the sight seeing thing and exploring with Ting today to, find some really cool weird stuffs to eat¡­I mean aside from the normal Chinese foods LOL. I am going to so get mop slapped for that aren¡¯t I? be gentle¡­

We had to ask for directions many times, every one was very friendly and helpful. I¡¯m kind of starting to wish I was back in Baotou, I am not one for big city¡¯s, I will genuinely try to find something I enjoy today, wish me luck!

gallery_19773_458_257142.jpg

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try and do the sight seeing thing and exploring with Ting today to, find some really cool weird stuffs to eat…I mean aside from the normal Chinese foods LOL.

If you're serious about getting some of the more exotic foods head over to Wangfujing Road at night. There's a famous snack street that has just about anything you may, or may not :unsure: want.

I will try and do the sight seeing thing and exploring with Ting today to, find some really cool weird stuffs to eat…I mean aside from the normal Chinese foods LOL.

If you're serious about getting some of the more exotic foods head over to Wangfujing Road at night. There's a famous snack street that has just about anything you may, or may not :blink: want.

Thanks we will do that tonight. Ting said we can take the subway....joy lol

I will try and do the sight seeing thing and exploring with Ting today to, find some really cool weird stuffs to eat匢 mean aside from the normal Chinese foods LOL.

If you're serious about getting some of the more exotic foods head over to Wangfujing Road at night. There's a famous snack street that has just about anything you may, or may not :o want.

Thanks we will do that tonight. Ting said we can take the subway....joy lol

I can't wait to hear the report. :D

Guest WenDylan

Hey, great photo you all! It sound like everyone is enjoying, even the not enjoyable parts of your time together! :rolleyes: I really enjoy seeing as well as hearing from you all. Eat something fun and let me know what it was, if you know what it was. :flowers_and_kisses:

Today was a bit windy and cold, not to bad as long as you can duck for cover about every 15 min or so. We woke up and had breakfast at a small local shop around the corner serving some sort of oil boiled pan cake like bread and soup.

gallery_19773_458_325341.jpg

Ting called Rich and his Gal to see what there plans were and the girls decided to meet up at the birds nest for around 10am. We took a taxi to the subway and after about 4 line transfers we arrived at the birds nest and water cube area. Ting called again then she said "They meant leaving for here at 10am" I quit trying to figure out what girls plan with each other a long time ago and the explanations kind of went in 1 ear and out the other followed buy a stream of "ok, yes dear's" from me.

A little after 12 they arrived but we were thoroughly cold by then after seeing the sights and drinking milk tea. We were able to get a couple quick photos together before we said our good byes. I really wanted to get a lunch with them but I guess it was not in the cards this trip, were both here on a limited time frame too.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/uploads/ga..._458_443696.jpg

On top of everything else my camera battery died, was not happy about that one, I am sure I charged it before flying here.

Ting and I went to that street that serves all the bugs and stuff to eat. I did ask for a tentacles on a stick with out the sauce. Of course it came with the stupid sauce anyway, but it was still edible. Found a few shops and went to buy ting some decent house slippers, They had some sort of store lottery going on. I picked a card out of a bowl and the lady scratched off the little box, this was quickly followed by much excitement by Ting and every one in the general area. You guessed it, I won the store special lottery. I could pick any thing in the store and pay only .08% of it's actual value. So I got Ting and her mom each a nice ring with a combined value of 5200 RMB, costing me 416 RMB total. I don't know much about jewelry and stuff but I suspect what I paid is probably what they are worth, of course I could be wrong. Doesn't matter anyway, it brought a smile to Tings face and a spring in her step. She said last time when I was here she won a lottery from a restaurant receipt too. It was for 20 dollars but it was the 1st time she ever won anything, she said "we will be very lucky couple"...wait till she see's me try to grow a plant. :eyebrow: We will probably be moving to a hotel today closer to the square, we're just to far out from anything decent that does not take a 15 to 25 rmb cab ride, that adds up after a while. OK the scorpions on a stick were like still alive...wow...ok. I will eat something adventurous but I at least want a photo of the look on my face when I do it. Will return with a fully charged camera. That way everyone here can enjoy the stupid look on my face I am sure to have on. Oh yeah, Rich, that last photo of us at the birds nest turned out not to be a photo but a short movie clip, the guy fiddled with my buttons before snapping it. Oh well LOL.

Ting also makes sure she carefully reviews photos before I post them. Something about no more big head photos of her LOL :lol:

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)

Guest WenDylan

Yeah, gotta have some reaction shots. :( Do they let you inside The Birds Nest or do ya have to stay outside?

You can go inside the Birds nest but will cost you 80 rmb? The water cube is 30 RMB.

Do you get a souvenir when you're in there? or toilet paper?

Edited by WenDylan (see edit history)

I was at Wangfujing St. last month. I wasn't brave enough to try the scorpions, but the silkworms were pretty good. The shark was excellent. The snake was great too, but they asked 50 rmb for it. I offered 20, which I thought was still high, but I wanted to try it. The guy accepted and threw it in the pot to cook it for me, but then wanted me to pay more for it. I refused, and he called me cheap. :) I had fun there, but my fiancee said the food was just so-so, and too expensive, because they target tourists.

Yeah, gotta have some reaction shots. :blink: Do they let you inside The Birds Nest or do ya have to stay outside?

You can go inside the Birds nest but will cost you 80 rmb? The water cube is 30 RMB.

Cool. Thanks. Hopefully we'll get back to BJ next year for a visit. That'll definately be on the list. ;)