Just not connecting

I hate to be posting this here, but I didn't know where else to do it properly.... but now that my wife and son are in the US,.... there is no connection.... I'm not sure what to do about it either. I have tried everything I could. It is my hope someone here might have the answer for us. I really don't know where else to turn. :)

Lao Po's laptop is throughly Chinese.... we are trying to connect wirelessly and we are unable get an IP address. I do this for a living and I'm unable to get this resolved... We even went to a Chinese computer store where I used to do a lot of business. I left it there for 2 days and they got it to work in the store... but once back at my house... still no IPadress. I know it is a setting on the laptop, because I already put the password in for my router and it is connected, but just not getting an IP adress,,, I call the computer store and they said bring it back... heck, they are 15 miles away. Just wanted to know if anyone here experienced this.

It's got to come from a DHCP server - the router should get it's IP address from your provider's DHCP server, and then it also needs to be a DHCP server for your own computers.

Check the setup on the router. You should be able to access it through a browser at http:\192.168.0.1, or 192.168.0.100, or 192.168.1.0 or something like that.

You may already know this - if so, give us more details - you know, the dirt.

Pretty creative there with the topic, but watch it! :)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

It's got to come from a DHCP server - the router should get it's IP address from your provider's DHCP server, and then it also needs to be a DHCP server for your own computers.

Check the setup on the router. You should be able to access it through a browser at http:\192.168.0.1, or 192.168.0.100, or 192.168.1.0 or something like that.

You are right Randy, I don't need any bad luck... maybe a kind Mod can move it to a more appropiate place... I was just having a little fun like others have in the past, although it made me nervous doing so.

yes, I know this about the DHCP.... it's not the router.... she can use the laptop with a cable... just not wireless.... it is a setting on the laptop, they had the same problem at the computer store, but the person who finally connected there was not there when I was.

You are right Randy, I don't need any bad luck... maybe a kind Mod can move it to a more appropiate place... I was just having a little fun like others have in the past, although it made me nervous doing so.

yes, I know this about the DHCP.... it's not the router.... she can use the laptop with a cable... just not wireless.... it is a setting on the laptop, they had the same problem at the computer store, but the person who finally connected there was not there when I was.

My wife's laptop is the same but she could access my time warner wireless modem ok useing the laptop card she used in china.

We got our own Netgear so could stop the extra 10 bucks a month.

Didnt have a problem useing the Netgear router and Netgear usb

adapter. We did have a problem useing diffrerent routers with

different cards. Sorry not much help.

Edited by JingJoseph (see edit history)

Could be the wireless adaptor or radio isn't operating on the same channel frequencies as the wireless router.

Good point, made me think of another problem. We have italkbb but our phone we found out was not wifi friendly. She couldnt access the wireless because of that. Maybe not why,probably a long shot. Netgear had no problem finding the IP with the software that came with our router and usb adapters

Edited by JingJoseph (see edit history)

buy her a PC ? :unsure:

or just let her take over yours like Jin has mine. :D

Her's is newer than mine. I have a computer in my house that has problems getting wireless sometimes(actually exact same symptons), I simply go to the wireless properties and check the box that says let Windows manage wireless connection... then it works like a charm...

Problem with my wife's computer is, everything is in chinese and I can't read it, I have tried to follow it, but t is different a little, I know her system is using something called broadcom.... I'm at a loss, but she can use it when she uses a Cat5 cable, go figure...

Thanks Mods for the move.

Could be the wireless adaptor or radio isn't operating on the same channel frequencies as the wireless router.

Good point, made me think of another problem. We have italkbb but our phone we found out was not wifi friendly. She couldnt access the wireless because of that. Maybe not why,probably a long shot. Netgear had no problem finding the IP with the software that came with our router and usb adapters

It actually connects to the router, it just won't get an IP address. I even had to enter the router authentication password and it then connected to the router, just no ip address

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

Guest Rob & Jin

It actually connects to the router, it just won't get an IP address. I even had to enter the router authentication password and it then connected to the router, just no ip address

Jin just downloaded all her chinese software onto mine, no IP address problems through the router.

using the same router profile ?

The router doesn't care who connects if you have the password... I have the router set to use A B G... it is her system, IMO

Jin just downloaded all her chinese software onto mine, no IP address problems through the router.

using the same router profile ?

if you have an open physical port on the back of your router, take a network cable and phsically connect your wifes computer to the router.

You should try to assign a static ip address to your wifes computer and see if it connects. Also, the DNS in the network settings. pretty straight forward , even in Chinese XP.

Edited by john90 (see edit history)

Uhg... My pc likes to do this ALL THE TIME when ever the power goes out. It's hell getting it to work. I constantly change settings and restart the router, unplug/replug the modem and router. I can never figure out what the problem actually is before I can get it working.

Have you tried manually setting the IP? ><'

Uhg... My pc likes to do this ALL THE TIME when ever the power goes out. It's hell getting it to work. I constantly change settings and restart the router, unplug/replug the modem and router. I can never figure out what the problem actually is before I can get it working.

Have you tried manually setting the IP? ><'

Hey lubmahgrl,

When the power goes out :D and then back on again the router and modem will boot up at the same time and that may be why it doesn't want to work properly for you. Try this, turn everything off, wait a minute, turn on the modem and wait several minutes until it completely boots up, when it's finished then turn on the router and wait until it completely boots up, it should now successfully find the modem, now turn on your computer and everything should work fine. ;)

This used to drive me crazy until I figured it out. About six months ago my cable modem bit the dust ;) and I replaced it with a Motorola cable modem/wireless router all in one. Even though my wireless router was fine I thought it was a prime opportunity to eliminate one piece of hardware and also avoid the boot up sequence required with a separate modem and wireless router :rolleyes: ... works like a charm :D

FYI: Another thing that will break a wireless internet connection is a cordless phone as some models work at 2.4GHz just like a wireless router. I used to have one and every forth or fifth phone call would put it on the exact same frequency as my router and break my internet connection. I've since tossed the cordless phone for a wifi phone that works through my wireless router over the internet and eliminated that problem.

If you have a neighbor in close proximity that uses a cordless phone they could be breaking your connection also.

Hey Charles,

If your router is a little older it may not recognize your wife's newer laptop. When I replaced my older router with the new one there was something about newer settings in the new modem that Comcast told me would make my connections more reliable ... they were full of you know what :P as I had better service from Cox in California than I've ever received from Comcast using the same hardware ... anyway ... I digress ... back to the subject.

Try going into the laptop and giving it a static IP address, then go into your router and enter the name of the computer into it's list with the same IP address, then shut down everything and boot up in the sequence I mentioned above and see if that works. I had to do that with my router here in China to get my wifi phone to work. I had to enter it into the router with a static IP address and then it worked fine. The funny thing was, this wifi phone was an exact replacement for the one I had here last year and I didn't have to do that with the old phone :unsure: :blink: :wacko: I don't understand why it was necessary to do that with the new one but at least it works now :P

Good luck to you!

Bob