Evolution of Relationship

do we really really need this letter and what kind of details should be included? please advice

yes, you do. it should be a 1 page timeline of how you met and how the relationship developed. good luck!

I was wondering about the letter too. Should it be liek an ACTUAL time line, or more like an essay?

I wrote about 3 pages and stapled an actual timeline together with it. got it notarized at GUZ two days before the acutal interview.

I guess you can never be too prepared hehe

Lauren - suggest you take the 'kitchen sink' approach when making that first I-130 submittal. Make copies, use it again for the I-129F submittal.

Some Kitchen Sinks are 4 inches thick.

I wrote about 3 pages and stapled an actual timeline together with it. got it notarized at GUZ two days before the acutal interview.

I guess you can never be too prepared hehe

Lauren - suggest you take the 'kitchen sink' approach when making that first I-130 submittal. Make copies, use it again for the I-129F submittal.

Some Kitchen Sinks are 4 inches thick.

Oh i figured evidence wise i'll be sending my husband with "war & Peace: sized copies. I just was unclear about the evolution paper

This letter is really hit or miss. It has come to some [seemingly] primary importance because GUZ started blue slipping people for it. I tend to see it as one of those 'shifts' we see about once a year at the consulate; they decide to focus on something new.

The real opportunity seems to be to include it in the initial petition, where it is not required specifically since USCIS approves that step; but by it's inclusion, GUZ would see it when the case gets to post.

If it was not turned in with the petition, there is little evidence that bringing it to the interview is worthwhile; meaning, often GUZ asks for some specific explanation within the evolution to be explained but you won't know what that is till they tell you.

So, does it hurt to bring one to the interview? No. But don't be surprised if the VO declines it. They may or may not want your version if they want something specfic.

I would tend to keep it more like a timelines; factual mixed with a little tenderness.

I provided one with the petition before it was on anyone's radar; and it included the 'intent to marry' requirement as well.. so I did these two as a single document.

The good news is: GUZ often wants to know how you meet originally. So whether you give that with the petition or at the interview, those facts don't change. But if they are more interested in what has 'evolved' since filing, then supplying one later is what is needed.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

1 more thing about the eor letter is to attach copies of your profile from the dating site where you met, if in fact you met thru a dating site. this shows guz how you met. when my so had her interview she handed the vo her passport and our eol letter. the vo pushed it to the side of her desk, but a vo standing behind her picked it up and read it.

This letter is really hit or miss. It has come to some [seemingly] primary importance because GUZ started blue slipping people for it. I tend to see it as one of those 'shifts' we see about once a year at the consulate; they decide to focus on something new.

The real opportunity seems to be to include it in the initial petition, where it is not required specifically since USCIS approves that step; but by it's inclusion, GUZ would see it when the case gets to post.

If it was not turned in with the petition, there is little evidence that bringing it to the interview is worthwhile; meaning, often GUZ asks for some specific explanation within the evolution to be explained but you won't know what that is till they tell you.

So, does it hurt to bring one to the interview? No. But don't be surprised if the VO declines it. They may or may not want your version if they want something specfic.

I would tend to keep it more like a timelines; factual mixed with a little tenderness.

I provided one with the petition before it was on anyone's radar; and it included the 'intent to marry' requirement as well.. so I did these two as a single document.

The good news is: GUZ often wants to know how you meet originally. So whether you give that with the petition or at the interview, those facts don't change. But if they are more interested in what has 'evolved' since filing, then supplying one later is what is needed.

Hey HelloWorld08,

We did very similar to what David has mentioned here.

When we filed our I-129F petition we included two letters of intent to marry one written, dated and signed by each of us that were also an evolution of relationship to that point. We included how and when we met online and in person, how we communicate, what we did together, where we traveled together, when I met her family and why we wanted to marry each other. These were not notarized.

For the interview I did an updated Evolution of Relationship letter again expressing the intent to marry her when we came to the USA. This one I had notarized in the USA before coming here for her interview.

Like Darnell has mentioned, check the kitchen sink and include anything you think will help your case.

Best of luck to you!

Bob

Guest WenDylan

Yes, I included this as well, and this is before I was a CFL member. Just a good solid page of info. I look forward to reading more of your posts here on CFL by the way! I read your signature and it looks very colorful now. :victory: