Just try it

Wow, just noticed you're in Huntsville...I have a slight chance of coming out there myself. country girl, we'll go go cow tippin' if i end up there...jk :rolleyes:

though not definitive, there's a growing claim in the medical industry that people who have many food allergies are ones that were not introduced to different types of foods in their early years, and who's foods and environments were very sterile. possibly useless factoid I thought i'd share...

Omg really?? Please message me if you come out this area. I'd love to get together! And lol we COULD go cow tipping lol

And actually that's not a useless factoid. You hit the nail completely on the head. I grew up in a single family household, and my mom did the best she could to provide for me. However because of my eating habits as a child, if you look i eat EXACTLY the same way today. My doctor thinks it's weird because somehow i'm still getting all my nutrients and vitamins but my diet is one you would expect a 7 year old to pick for themselves. i have a couple wild cards like curry and udon, but nothing too unique. Also my mother was a crazy neat freak and my food and enviroment was indeed very sterile.

Some of my allergies make no sense though. Like carrots. They are my ultimate kryptonite! Even if a carrot just touches my skin it will cause terrible sores, burning, and bleeding. I don't know what i did to carrots in a past life, but damn do they hate me now.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post. I agree that sharing the culture is so important to a relationship, that includes Sizzler, Popeyes, hotdogs and apple pie!

Great post. i really like this idea. it's not the food you tried counts but that you are willing to try it. That shows your willingness to get in his/her life. Actually, this reminds me about the days with my ex. He likes ham very much, but i don't. Anyway, i bought ham and cooked it for him almost everytime he came to my home. Gradually, i found it seemed that i kinda started to like ham too. But one day at the beginning that we broke up when i went to the supermarket, i bought a ham as i usually did and then cooked it as before, it turned out that i didn't like to eat it. i was not forced myself to like ham when i was with him. it was love that made me do it i think. so even couples in the same cultures have to try things that he/she doesn't like or get used to but his or her spouse likes, not to mention those in cross -cultural relationships.

i like trying different food, especially he likes as long as it's healthy or even though it's not very healthy, hehe. He is coming soon and he said he is not picky on food. I hope he likes my cookings, of course most of them are chinese food^_^. Maybe i am going to learn how to prepare western food. He is reading a very good book about the food, disease and people's misconcept of nutrition. It's lucky that we share our views about food. Eating healthily is most important. We plan to cut down animial products gradually when he comes and maybe we will become vegetarians. hah, my yoghourt!!!

so just try it, why not! Be open-minded. even if you don't like it, it may be good to your health. even if you can't eat it for a second time, at least you have a new member in your food lists. Life is an adventure, we should try different things to rich it. of course, if the food is really unacceptable to him/her, don't force it. For me, never snake, i even dare not to see it, haha.

:lol:

Great post. I agree that sharing the culture is so important to a relationship, that includes Sizzler, Popeyes, hotdogs and apple pie!

Great post. i really like this idea. it's not the food you tried counts but that you are willing to try it. That shows your willingness to get in his/her life. Actually, this reminds me about the days with my ex. He likes ham very much, but i don't. Anyway, i bought ham and cooked it for him almost everytime he came to my home. Gradually, i found it seemed that i kinda started to like ham too. But one day at the beginning that we broke up when i went to the supermarket, i bought a ham as i usually did and then cooked it as before, it turned out that i didn't like to eat it. i was not forced myself to like ham when i was with him. it was love that made me do it i think. so even couples in the same cultures have to try things that he/she doesn't like or get used to but his or her spouse likes, not to mention those in cross -cultural relationships.

i like trying different food, especially he likes as long as it's healthy or even though it's not very healthy, hehe. He is coming soon and he said he is not picky on food. I hope he likes my cookings, of course most of them are chinese food^_^. Maybe i am going to learn how to prepare western food. He is reading a very good book about the food, disease and people's misconcept of nutrition. It's lucky that we share our views about food. Eating healthily is most important. We plan to cut down animial products gradually when he comes and maybe we will become vegetarians. hah, my yoghourt!!!

so just try it, why not! Be open-minded. even if you don't like it, it may be good to your health. even if you can't eat it for a second time, at least you have a new member in your food lists. Life is an adventure, we should try different things to rich it. of course, if the food is really unacceptable to him/her, don't force it. For me, never snake, i even dare not to see it, haha.

First time I was with Jen, we would eat Chinese one day and then westers the next. I found that most western places were ok in China but the food wasn't really the same as it is here. But then, Chinese food here really isn't the same as in China. When he is there, show him what you like. Give him the chance to learn about "your" China. When the day comes that you can come to the US, he'll have the oportunity to do the same. Finding your common ground though food is a wonderful time. I wish you all the best learning about each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a post Jun made about how all american food was heavy, greasy, no good... then after about 6 months of corruption favorites became: Steak-bloody(or extra-extra rare as she would call it), fried cheese, cheese bacon and sour-cream filled potato skins, anything with melted cheese on it. Fondue appitizer at red lobster she would leave the bread and eat the cheese with a spoon :blink: Lasagna, cheesecake, 2 in-n-out double doubles... when she is here she doesn't even cook Chinese unless I push. When she's in China for very long she just complains that the cheese sucks and she can't get good American food.

Edited by Jeikun (see edit history)

I remember a post Jun made about how all american food was heavy, greasy, no good... then after about 6 months of corruption favorites became: Steak-bloody(or extra-extra rare as she would call it), fried cheese, cheese bacon and sour-cream filled potato skins, anything with melted cheese on it. Fondue appitizer at red lobster she would leave the bread and eat the cheese with a spoon :o Lasagna, cheesecake, 2 in-n-out double doubles... when she is here she doesn't even cook Chinese unless I push. When she's in China for very long she just complains that the cheese sucks and she can't get good American food.

That really is sooo funny!! You rascal, you corrupted her, didn't you!!

Funny, Leiqin and I went to PF Chang's for dinner today. Nothing on the menu was written in Chinese, so I had to order for us. She started complaining that the food wasn't good and why didn't we go to the Sizzler instead!! :D

I remember a post Jun made about how all american food was heavy, greasy, no good... then after about 6 months of corruption favorites became: Steak-bloody(or extra-extra rare as she would call it), fried cheese, cheese bacon and sour-cream filled potato skins, anything with melted cheese on it. Fondue appitizer at red lobster she would leave the bread and eat the cheese with a spoon :o Lasagna, cheesecake, 2 in-n-out double doubles... when she is here she doesn't even cook Chinese unless I push. When she's in China for very long she just complains that the cheese sucks and she can't get good American food.

That really is sooo funny!! You rascal, you corrupted her, didn't you!!

Funny, Leiqin and I went to PF Chang's for dinner today. Nothing on the menu was written in Chinese, so I had to order for us. She started complaining that the food wasn't good and why didn't we go to the Sizzler instead!! :D

When Jen's aunt arrived, we went to a Chinese buffet only to find that it wasn't a buffet nor was it even open. :D So it was off to Sizzler, for us, the 2nd night in a row. :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys and gals,

has any americans eaten dog meat yet? :blink:

Yes, I tried dogmeat in a restaurant in Sichuan. It was a very nice hotpot place, we had the special room. It was my second time the interior of China and the table was absolutley loaded up with many different dishes that we would cook in the hotpot. Near the end of the meal the waitress brought in a special black laquer box and inside was thin strips of a gray meat.

I asked what it was and I was told "duck". I questioned... "DUCK, like quack, quack"

No came the laghing reply... "DUCK, like bark, bark"

Ok, duck sounds like dog. But it was dog and I tried it after it was explained to me that these were special dogs bred for eating. I did not care for the meat and most of our family did not like it either.

We are very informal about a lot of things including food. Li is partial to the type of food she has been eating her entire life (that seems natural to me). But, she will try different things, some American food she really likes. Our son, on the other hand, doesn't care for American food and eats almost exclusively Chinese food. I prefer the food I've been eating my entire life (but, I'm adventurous). So, at home we have a wide variety of foods and all do our own thing. I think it works out best for me, I like almost everything.

In China, I'm not picky and am willing to try new things. But, I haven't gone 'native'. Some things I just couldn't get past my entirely western pallet. (Like dog meat: No way, no thanks!)

The most exotic thing I came to enjoy in China? Fried silk work larva. At first, there was no way I was going to eat an insect. However, after seeing how much the kids like them, I decided to try one. Unusual, I thought - not really bad at all. The next time, I ate several and began to like them. Nice texture and an interesting flavor. Since, then I eat them whenever they're served. It's a treat! :eatyum: