Just try it

hi guys and gals,

has any americans eaten dog meat yet? :D

Yes and monkey, lizard, cat, snake, rat and a few other things I was affraid to ask what it was, but the monkey was by far the hardest to eat, not because of the taste, which was very good but because of the way it looked like a small human body when all cut up. :rain:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone tried the nuts and screws? i have tried lamb's nuts and it has a creamy texture. my friend didnt tell me until the dish was empty. hahaha. andrew zimmerm went to this resturant that serves only the screws part of different animals in GZ. my wife and i are going to GZ soon for interview and we would like to try IHOP aka international house of p***s. does anyone know this address or website?

my wife in china says us americans eat raw beef and raw osysters/clams are crazy. i say people in china eat anything that walks, flys, swims and claws are crazy too. do you see the contrast between china and america. her food must be 100% cook, even salads. i guess she will be having a culture shock when she comes to america. hahahahahah :D

I bet you eat more MSG than you know. Ever eat beef jerkey? Many american foods also contain this, contrary to popular belief that it's an asian thing. Just fyi..random search here, not sure of it accuracy, but you can verify next time you shop.

http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

Actually no i dont eat beef jerky. I'm a country girl, most food i eat is actually dairy, breads, potatoes(my family's irish so that's a whole catagory on its own lol), pasta, etc. My diet is fairly MSG free. The things that would contain MSG end up making me just as sick, so i stay away from them.

I also have a TON of food allergies, so you'd be suprised how limited my diet is.

hi guys and gals,

has any americans eaten dog meat yet? :rolleyes:

I was tricked into trying it. I was very pissed when I found out.

I don't eat anything with a personality.

I do want to share a quote from my Japanese friend lol. I know Japanese and Chinese don't get along, and sometimes i get the most fun out of hearing them making biting remarks at each other. One time my Chinese friend goes "It is so sad. Japan is such rich country, but they can not afford fuel to cook thier fish." I nearly laughed my butt off.

My Japanese friend then countered with, "Chinese eat everything with 4 legs... except desk." I didn't quite understand how funny that was until i was IN China. Let me tell you, out in the countryside it's no holds barred. I finally got to the point of no longer asking and having my husband decline any and all meat put near me.

And i actually saw a dog body hanging in the meat market with a few pieces carved off...

I fainted.

Very good post, and quite timely for me. My wife was told that turkey tastes bad here... because her friend who moved here last year said so :rolleyes: ... my response, maybe that person who cooked the turkey didn't cook it good, but turkey is good and good for you. She really doesn't cook, but she will have to learn. I will be open to eating Chiense food, but definetly not every night, especially since I will be doing a lot of the cooking at first. I can make some good fried rice and noodle soup, and I will fry some dumplings (frozen :) ) with the best of them, but they will be in the good olde USA... so we will all have to be more flexable.... ok dear? :P

Jen laughed when I told her about your post. She thought the same thing about the first Thanksgiving turkey but agreed that last year's was better. We'll see how it goes this year as we will have the family here at our home.

Yes, great post. My wife has been very flexible when it comes to eating "American" food. Her current favorite is Olive Garden. Of course the all-you-can-eat soup and salad has nothing to do with that. :D

Thanks for this one Dave. Sizzler is the place to compare because of the salad bar. If Olive Garden has one, that will help get Jen in the door. :coolthumb:

hi guys and gals,

has any americans eaten dog meat yet? :D

I'll try almost anything but I draw the line at eating Fido. You can eat Fido if you want and I won't be offended but don't ask me to join in.

Same here. Would never knowingly eat dog. And if told after the fact I would not be happy. :coolthumb:

Closest I came to eating dog was seeing it on the menu in Suzhou but noone ordered it. If it was there, I would have at least tried it. I would not go for the grubs or scorpions we saw in Beijing, but then, Jen won't eat that either.

hi guys and gals,

has any americans eaten dog meat yet? :coolthumb:

Yup. I enjoy dog meat, if cooked properly. I'm not a 'dog as pet' person, though I've trained about 18 working dogs in my lifetime. Emphasis on Working.

When I returned from my first overseas booking (Guangzhou for 18 months), I looked at dogs differently - you know - take a look at one thats still walking and try to figure out how many pounds o meat he'll dress out..

But I digress. Dog Meat is wonderful..

Great post.

My husband says he's WILLING to try things. And when my mom sent me a box of American food while i was in China he did kinda try it. He always takes a bite, and it's in his mouth for two seconds before it falls out in disgust. I've tried Chinese food, but due to MSG allergy, i kept ending up with food poisoning. So there is no more "try it" on my end unless i absolutely know there is no MSG. But now i gotta try to convince my husband to actually EAT the food instead of going on the first taste

Well, hey - maybe one of my suggestions stuck. That's good - at least now you know about an MSG allergy. Which of course, mondo sucks. YOU CAN MAKE chinese dishes without the MSG, of course, but the taste will be nothing like one WITH MSG. I've successfully used chicken bullion cubes in place of MSG, not have such a big 'reaction' and the taste was ok.. Not stellar, but just ok...

I remember a quote from Anthony Bourdain after slamming Americans who travel to another country only to stay in a western hotel and refuse to venture out. The greatest honor is to have a family invite you in for a meal. This is something they have worked hard for in order to provide for thier family. If you are given such an oportunity, it is most polite to accept it, and eagerly ask for seconds.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I remember a quote from Anthony Bourdain after slamming Americans who travel to another country only to stay in a western hotel and refuse to venture out. The greatest honor is to have a family invite you in for a meal. This is something they have worked hard for in order to provide for thier family. If you are given such an oportunity, it is most polite to accept it, and eagerly ask for seconds.

Anthony Bourdain is great, I always enjoy watching his show. He has a no-holds barred view of getting right into whatever culture he visits. Andrew Zimmern, is even more adventurous. I started liking him after seeing that he also gags after tasting durian, he even tried it twice before swearing it off for future investigation. I will try most anything once, but like to see someone else eat it first. Heck, I can always spit it out. Get in there, get your feet wet. No need to be skittish, enjoy the food, enjoy the culture. If it doesn't kill you, you can at least say you tried it.

:coolthumb:

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Bizarre_Foods

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I bet you eat more MSG than you know. Ever eat beef jerkey? Many american foods also contain this, contrary to popular belief that it's an asian thing. Just fyi..random search here, not sure of it accuracy, but you can verify next time you shop.

http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

Actually no i dont eat beef jerky. I'm a country girl, most food i eat is actually dairy, breads, potatoes(my family's irish so that's a whole catagory on its own lol), pasta, etc. My diet is fairly MSG free. The things that would contain MSG end up making me just as sick, so i stay away from them.

I also have a TON of food allergies, so you'd be suprised how limited my diet is.

hi guys and gals,

has any americans eaten dog meat yet? :coolthumb:

I was tricked into trying it. I was very pissed when I found out.

I don't eat anything with a personality.

I do want to share a quote from my Japanese friend lol. I know Japanese and Chinese don't get along, and sometimes i get the most fun out of hearing them making biting remarks at each other. One time my Chinese friend goes "It is so sad. Japan is such rich country, but they can not afford fuel to cook thier fish." I nearly laughed my butt off.

My Japanese friend then countered with, "Chinese eat everything with 4 legs... except desk." I didn't quite understand how funny that was until i was IN China. Let me tell you, out in the countryside it's no holds barred. I finally got to the point of no longer asking and having my husband decline any and all meat put near me.

And i actually saw a dog body hanging in the meat market with a few pieces carved off...

I fainted.

Wow, just noticed you're in Huntsville...I have a slight chance of coming out there myself. country girl, we'll go go cow tippin' if i end up there...jk :D

though not definitive, there's a growing claim in the medical industry that people who have many food allergies are ones that were not introduced to different types of foods in their early years, and who's foods and environments were very sterile. possibly useless factoid I thought i'd share...

Great post.

My husband says he's WILLING to try things. And when my mom sent me a box of American food while i was in China he did kinda try it. He always takes a bite, and it's in his mouth for two seconds before it falls out in disgust. I've tried Chinese food, but due to MSG allergy, i kept ending up with food poisoning. So there is no more "try it" on my end unless i absolutely know there is no MSG. But now i gotta try to convince my husband to actually EAT the food instead of going on the first taste

Well, hey - maybe one of my suggestions stuck. That's good - at least now you know about an MSG allergy. Which of course, mondo sucks. YOU CAN MAKE chinese dishes without the MSG, of course, but the taste will be nothing like one WITH MSG. I've successfully used chicken bullion cubes in place of MSG, not have such a big 'reaction' and the taste was ok.. Not stellar, but just ok...

90% of everything i cook is chinese food (no, not kung pao chicken and fried rice - real chinese food) and i never use MSG. MSG is used primarily in restaurants where they want to substitue spcies and such with MSG. MSG is a flavor enhancer that is as cheap as salt...it basically open the pores/taste buds on your tongue so you get a fuller flavor than without it. no need fo bouillon cubes...beef stocka nd chicken stock aren't reaidly used, at least not in the regions of chinese food i'm familiar with. if you don't get your sodium/flavor out of salt and soya sauce, then, i suspect, you must be putting too much water,.

look here and see such cubes are very high in sodium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_cube not so good for blood pressure/stroke, but then food fried in oil and salt ain't all too healthy in the first place. :D of couse hcinese don't consume as much as we do.

Baby Back Ribs at Applebees, followed by the half price deal on Nachos Nuevos after 9PM.

A salad at Jason's deli. I get what I want. Her salad is so enormous (a mountain on a plate) from one visit to the bar that we completely fill a take home container after she is full, which is not the jest of the deal............what can I say?

ONLY seafood Chinese buffets. (They make no money on her visits)

Golden Coral on Friday evening. (again the BBQ ribs) (Ryan's is OUT)

Anthony Bourdain is great, I always enjoy watching his show. He has a no-holds barred view of getting right into whatever culture he visits. Andrew Zimmern, is even more adventurous. I started liking him after seeing that he also gags after tasting durian, he even tried it twice before swearing it off for future investigation. I will try most anything once, but like to see someone else eat it first. Heck, I can always spit it out. Get in there, get your feet wet. No need to be skittish, enjoy the food, enjoy the culture. If it doesn't kill you, you can at least say you tried it.

:D

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Bizarre_Foods

It is amazing to me when I talk to family and friends about my travels to China. Even an Aunt and Uncle who visited the same places in China just weeks after Jen and I came home. Most of us here can talk of places so forien to our friends that they could not ever truly understand. I mean, to be the only westerner in a bejing restaurant enjoying a meal, or even better, eating Shanghai hairy crab at a cousin's home, or reaching under the table to catch the jumbo prawn trying to get away.

It is the same feeling I get watching Jen's face light up when she realizes that the lime shrimp fajitas at Chevy's are really good or how so many different things taste so good in a fresh and warm flour tortilla.

I'm sure I'll catch her showing these things off to her Aunt when she arrives in a few more days. I can't wait.