Question about interview...

Question about preparing for visa interview:

I was married before....and my SO is very paranoid and scared that the visa officer will ask her about my ex-wife. Reading the forums on 001, she says she will need every piece of information about my ex-wife...even me asking my ex to write a letter of support for us to submit to the visa officer.

Is all of this really needed? Will the visa officer ask her in-depth questions about my previous marriage?

I really don't think so, but she says they will.

Advice and suggestions, please...

Thank you.

- Joe

Study the forums some more, GUZ can and does ask questions about US Citizen's EX, and in many cases asks for a letter of relationship evolution with details about the EX like ex's SSN, address, etc..

A bit of a NON-ANSWER on the part of the consulate: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=24285&hl=

I was married before....and my SO is very paranoid and scared that the visa officer will ask her about my ex-wife. Reading the forums on 001, she says she will need every piece of information about my ex-wife...even me asking my ex to write a letter of support for us to submit to the visa officer.

Is all of this really needed? Will the visa officer ask her in-depth questions about my previous marriage?

Thank you.

- Joe

this varies from case to case. make sure your so knows when and why you got divorced ad where your ex lives. i don't think a letter from your ex is needed.

Hi Dale,

Do you think it is necessary to explain why you were divorced??

Tom and Ling

Thank you.

- Joe

this varies from case to case. make sure your so knows when and why you got divorced ad where your ex lives. i don't think a letter from your ex is needed.

Hi Dale,

Do you think it is necessary to explain why you were divorced??

Tom and Ling

Thank you.

- Joe

hello tom, only if they ask. they did ask my so this question along with where do they live and when did we divorce.

Thank you.

- Joe

Joe;

We just interviewed 7 Oct with a successful outcome. However, I had read, like your SO that divorces (or multiple divorces) would cause extra questions. I spent a fair amount of time ensuring my SO knew the reasons and circumstances for my divorces. I also prepared a spreadsheet/table -- and put all of the information, SSN, contact - address, date of marriage, date of divorce, children from the marriage as applicable, phone number, website, etc. Most of "why" I put this information in a table was to aid in the interview - as needed. All of the information contained in the spreadsheet was from various "GUZ" forms that asked the information along the way. Also, I pulled off the GUZ requirements that ask for information if you want to get married in China and need a "marriageability paper" from GUZ. My thought, if that is what they need to be comfortable with a USC getting married in CHina, it must be the information that would make them feel comfortable in a K or Immigration situation.

During the interview, my SO was asked (1) How many times has he been married, (2) Why did he get 400 divorces, (3) Where does the Last ex live....the spreadsheet, although in our bag of goodies - never was needed. MY SO had the answers to the above - and quickly answered, which luckily satisfied the VO.

Based on my limited experience, prepare a spreadsheet with all applicable information on ex-wive(s). If you met or your marriage to your SO was SOON after the divorce, I would add columns that outline when you and your ex "stopped living together" or "legally separated". Many folks separate and argue for a year or two before a final divorce, which skews the perception.

I would ensure that you have SSN, address, phone number of EX (or as much information as you can get) written down. I would then school your SO on the why, when, circumstances of your divorce and ensure that your SO knows to quickly deny any meetings, conversations, or anything that could be construed as "meeting or knowing" the ex wife. I suspect your SO has never met your EX --- but you need to ensure that your SO understands what the VO is trying to figure out!

Although, I have an amicable and friendly relationship with my EX's, I would not ever go to them to write a letter for this purpose. I don't think it is appropriate or in good taste! I believe, having what GUZ asks for on various forms, and informing your SO of the circumstances of the divorce is sufficient to satisfy the overwhelming majority of potential questions. If you make a table and do this -- you will also allay the fears of your SO after reading 001 -- the source of many problems.

Best of Luck - Hawaii Mike (and now Jin)

you do have about a 95% chance that the main topic will be the exwife and marraige.

I also am divorced and the main topic of me fiancees interview was in fact the previous marraige.

As part of my "kitchen sink" approach I had already included an extra copy of my divorce decree. I have gotten a letter from my exwife which of course was notarized.

It read as ,To whom it may concern:

My name is *********

Address ************

Phone ************

SS # **********

My ex husband and I will not get back together. We have been seperated since January ** **** and finally divorced on March **,****.

Signed

Notarized.

The VO did read this letter that my fiancee handed over as soon as the old marraige was mentioned.

Also asked by the Vo:

WHy did the marraige end?

how long was the marraige?

Where does the exwife live?

Does your fiancee have any children?

Where does the child live?

LIving arrangements for the child?

If the exwife is not a natural USA citizen which mine was then you will receive more questions.

Follow the "kitchen sink " approach will find much information on in this site and you will fine.

Your SO does need to know all about your old marraige and exspouse.

I hope this helps.

Hi Joe,

I have been thinking about the same thing, and if you read the letter of instructions for K1/K2 and K3/K4, it is specific for bringing or having available the information about Ex-spouses.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fo...and_packets.htm

So, yes and everybody is right, I may even have the letter notarize (I'm stiil thinking about the pro and con's about that), but I am only going to tell my wife why. I don't think it is anybody's business except between myself and my wife.

Tom and Ling

Thank you.

- Joe

Was your ex an immigrant?

Yes. She came to US on a work visa. We met during that time and married before her visa expired. I did not petition an I-129F for her.

- Joe

Did your ex go through ANY adjustment of status? Does she have a green card NOW ?

I thought you had to fill out G-325A on yourself, which would include prior spouses with Alien Registration Numbers.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Study the forums some more, GUZ can and does ask questions about US Citizen's EX, and in many cases asks for a letter of relationship evolution with details about the EX like ex's SSN, address, etc..

A bit of a NON-ANSWER on the part of the consulate: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=24285&hl=

Will do. Thanks.

Trying to read/study as much as I can on the topic to help alleviate the fears of my SO and to help prepare her for the dreaded interview.

- Joe

Thank you.

- Joe

Hey Joe,

I don't know if the length of time since a divorce has anything to do with whether the VO will ask any questions about an ex or not but it may. My sweet Haiqing just had her interview about a month ago, I was divorced about four years ago and she was divorced over ten years ago and no questions were asked about either one of our ex's. :)

She was prepared to answer any questions as I told her everything about my ex should the subject come up. Like other's have mentioned, prepare her for everything!

Best of luck!

Bob

Joe;

We just interviewed 7 Oct with a successful outcome. However, I had read, like your SO that divorces (or multiple divorces) would cause extra questions. I spent a fair amount of time ensuring my SO knew the reasons and circumstances for my divorces. I also prepared a spreadsheet/table -- and put all of the information, SSN, contact - address, date of marriage, date of divorce, children from the marriage as applicable, phone number, website, etc. Most of "why" I put this information in a table was to aid in the interview - as needed. All of the information contained in the spreadsheet was from various "GUZ" forms that asked the information along the way.

Great advice. Thanks.

I'll start doing the same.

Also, I pulled off the GUZ requirements that ask for information if you want to get married in China and need a "marriageability paper" from GUZ. My thought, if that is what they need to be comfortable with a USC getting married in CHina, it must be the information that would make them feel comfortable in a K or Immigration situation.

We'll we want to bring her over here first, then get married, but I can see your reasoning here.

During the interview, my SO was asked (1) How many times has he been married, (2) Why did he get 400 divorces, (3) Where does the Last ex live....the spreadsheet, although in our bag of goodies - never was needed. MY SO had the answers to the above - and quickly answered, which luckily satisfied the VO.

Based on my limited experience, prepare a spreadsheet with all applicable information on ex-wive(s). If you met or your marriage to your SO was SOON after the divorce, I would add columns that outline when you and your ex "stopped living together" or "legally separated". Many folks separate and argue for a year or two before a final divorce, which skews the perception.

I actually met my SO while I was still married, but seperated. Not "legally seperated", but not living together and planning on a divorce. Divorce is now finalized.

I would ensure that you have SSN, address, phone number of EX (or as much information as you can get) written down. I would then school your SO on the why, when, circumstances of your divorce and ensure that your SO knows to quickly deny any meetings, conversations, or anything that could be construed as "meeting or knowing" the ex wife. I suspect your SO has never met your EX --- but you need to ensure that your SO understands what the VO is trying to figure out!

Will do. I have most of that information already from the divorce. So, I can make a cheat sheet for my SO and will help prep her for any questions. Kinda sneaky, aren't they??

Although, I have an amicable and friendly relationship with my EX's, I would not ever go to them to write a letter for this purpose. I don't think it is appropriate or in good taste! I believe, having what GUZ asks for on various forms, and informing your SO of the circumstances of the divorce is sufficient to satisfy the overwhelming majority of potential questions. If you make a table and do this -- you will also allay the fears of your SO after reading 001 -- the source of many problems.

Best of Luck - Hawaii Mike (and now Jin)

Definitely appreciate the awesome advice. Thank you much!

I thought the letter from EX would be inappropriate as well, but I didn't really know if it was needed.

I'll follow your examples and suggestions.

Best of wishes and happiness for you and Jin. Glad to hear you made it thru.

- Joe

Edited by Tonoue (see edit history)

you do have about a 95% chance that the main topic will be the exwife and marraige.

I also am divorced and the main topic of me fiancees interview was in fact the previous marraige.

As part of my "kitchen sink" approach I had already included an extra copy of my divorce decree. I have gotten a letter from my exwife which of course was notarized.

It read as ,To whom it may concern:

My name is *********

Address ************

Phone ************

SS # **********

My ex husband and I will not get back together. We have been seperated since January ** **** and finally divorced on March **,****.

Signed

Notarized.

The VO did read this letter that my fiancee handed over as soon as the old marraige was mentioned.

Also asked by the Vo:

WHy did the marraige end?

how long was the marraige?

Where does the exwife live?

Does your fiancee have any children?

Where does the child live?

LIving arrangements for the child?

If the exwife is not a natural USA citizen which mine was then you will receive more questions.

Follow the "kitchen sink " approach will find much information on in this site and you will fine.

Your SO does need to know all about your old marraige and exspouse.

I hope this helps.

Great advice. I'm sure I can arrange that with my EX.

I'll get to work schooling my SO with all the possible Q&As.

Thank you much!

- Joe