New Laptop

Hi everyone,

I will meet my new family in Newark on November 6. Meanwhile, my new son's father just bought him a new laptop in China. So, when he arrives, I need to get windows xp installed on it. I am not proficient in uninstalling and installing software. What is the best way for me to go about this. Also, I seem to remember someone saying that it is possible to keep the computer so that it functions well in both English and Chinese. If this is true, how do I do it? Or maybe I need to take it to someone and let them do all of this for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

You just need to buy a copy of Windows XP.

What do you mean by functions well in both? For most people it means the programs will display both languages and you can type Chinese characters. This is normally a setting in Regional and Language Options. It also might require an additional program if you desire wubi style input, like loading NJ Star Communicator. This is what I have done for my wife. This is usually all the dual functionality required by most people. It is the simpliest way and almost anyone can set it up, no need for professional help. When you install the English OS, just tell it you are replacing the Chinese OS.

The other option for dual functionality is to dual boot the computer. This allows you to run both OS's, one at a time selectable at time of booting. This would be required if and only if you have a program that needs to be run that is available only for Chinese OS system. My wife had a wubi input program that would only work with her Chinese Windows XP system. I simply found a different program when I upgraded our computer and went away from the dual booting. Dual booting requires that you run two partitions, installing each OS on it's own partition. If done incorrectly, each OS can crash the other, so I would not recommend this for a beginner. It requires a bit of computer literacy to get it set uo correctly. I seriously doubt you need to do this so, just stick with option one and replace the Chinese OS.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

If you replace the operating system, I would advise that you re-format the hard drive before installing. I don't remember for sure, but this should be an option when you begin the installation. This will definitely get rid of any viruses that may be present.

Simply insert the XP installation CD, and boot from the CD drive. Just follow the prompts from there.

I do this all the time.

Step 1 You need to purchase a copy of XP for new pc, and install. (More than likely VISTA)

Step 2 is to locate the manufacture's support website and download the network driver for the computer to a USB drive on another PC, then install the driver on the laptop.

Step 3 connect the laptop to the internet and go to the manufactures support site and download all the other drivers and software and install. (Sound, Video, media readers, etc...)

If you replace the operating system, I would advise that you re-format the hard drive before installing. I don't remember for sure, but this should be an option when you begin the installation. This will definitely get rid of any viruses that may be present.

Simply insert the XP installation CD, and boot from the CD drive. Just follow the prompts from there.

True...Also if you need free tech advice go to Craigslist.

Go to the computor section and ask away. Found answers

to most any tech problem free there. Of course many want

to fix it for you but many will tell you free. Very good

website for this have used it many many times. Dont matter

where the cpu is from theres always someone there that knows.

When you post ask what if I do this? What if I do that?

I found most times will get free advice with an offer to

help if you need a pro.

Edited by JingJoseph (see edit history)

Hi Yemmie -

I would suggest getting it set up for Dual Boot.

Assume Vista already installed -

look at

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...ystep_guide.htm

If you can't understand how to do or what to do after reading that, suggest you hire a professional for a few hours.

Good Luck !

Guest ShaQuaNew

One thing I've noticed about the computers sold in China, is that the hard-drives are smaller, and they are fitted with less RAM than what's being sold in most US stores. I agree with Randy about reformatting the hard-drive before installing a new version of Windows. You might also look at upgrading the RAM and Hard-Drive after they get here. If you do that, many stores will install Windows for you.

I just bought Ting a computer and it had regular Vista on it. After much research come to find out you MUST get Vista Ultimate if you want to function 100% in ant onter language other than english.

Don't know about XP

what version is it?

I do this all the time.

Step 1 You need to purchase a copy of XP for new pc, and install. (More than likely VISTA)

Step 2 is to locate the manufacture's support website and download the network driver for the computer to a USB drive on another PC, then install the driver on the laptop.

Step 3 connect the laptop to the internet and go to the manufactures support site and download all the other drivers and software and install. (Sound, Video, media readers, etc...)

I usually just download ALL the drivers first... then do the install.

If the disk is by any chance partitioned or you can partition some off... then you can put the drivers on the partition you will not format... otherwise, they can go on a memory stick...