This maybe silly

pack just half a roll. depending on where yer staying, you might have access to an iron and some hangers.

too late now, but the container store sells a 'folding clothes' apparatus, useful for those who can't fold em. my cousin has one, swears by it.

once you've landed, and in the hotel, go buy a pack of tissue - these are small packs of paper, multiuse for both resturant and toilet.

if you get to a higher end resturant, you'll be 'given' these packs (though you'll be charged for it at the bill).

these smaller packs are sold in big bundles of 20 to 50 - just buy one bundle, keep one or two packs in yer pocket.

Good Luck !!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

It's not so much that you need toilet paper, just be sure to pack nose-plugs to overcome the sanitary bathroom deficiencies. No worry about toilet paper, just practice squatting for awhile so you can learn how to take a crap without sitting down...

:lol:

---

Oh, and remember, every bathroom counter has about six inches of water and other fun stuff on top of it. You might try avoiding contact.

Hey ShaQuaNew, it's not enough to just be able to squat ... you have to be able to squat, keep your balance and do your business all at the same time if you expect to use the bathroom on a moving train! :unsure: ... no sitting required or available!

Yuck. Hate to think of falling into one of those things... :roller:

I see a lot of feedback about taking TP, hangars and stuff, I have to tell you that TP is widely available in just about any store. You can buy it here and save yourself the hassle of carting it halfway around the world. As for irons, just ask in the hotel lobby. If you don't speak Chinese, then use sign language; you know, open the ironing board and proceed to iron a shirt or two. It's great entertainment for them, and most everyone in China enjoy helping laowai.

Travel light, two changes of clothes should do you fine. It it isn't enough clothes are cheap in China. I would buy a box of travel tissue packs like these

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/195926/300.JPG

They fit easily into a shirt or pants pocket. I always take my passport wallet which I can hang around my neck and tuck into my shirt to foil pick pockets. Keep your camera in front of you. Back packs are an easy target for pick pockets with sharp knives.

Travel light, two changes of clothes should do you fine. It it isn't enough clothes are cheap in China. I would buy a box of travel tissue packs like these

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/195926/300.JPG

They fit easily into a shirt or pants pocket. I always take my passport wallet which I can hang around my neck and tuck into my shirt to foil pick pockets. Keep your camera in front of you. Back packs are an easy target for pick pockets with sharp knives.

you are not a woman Carl. has to fit in handbag enough for both all things. for all day.

better just let the woman look after this same as money, men get both wrong :yahoo:

Hey Mark,

In my many trips to China I've never seen a hotel that didn't have toilet paper or hangers ... and I've even stayed in some of the local Chinese hotels. :P Sometimes you'll have to ask for more as some places will give you a partial role because many folks will walk off with the toilet paper when they check out! ... a hot commodity :lol:

If you're out on the street and use a public restroom or in some small restaurants you may find yourself in a position where there's no toilet paper. :helpsmilie: If you want you can buy it there in the stores so I wouldn't bother carrying any with you. There is a Wal-Mart and a Jusco in Shenzhen were you can buy almost anything you'll need, even some American products ... I'm sure your gal knows where they are.

I like Randy's idea a lot, can get you through until you find the Wal-Mart :lol:

Don't be surprised when your gal whips out toilet paper or tissues in a restaurant :D many restaurants don't have napkins so this is a common sight. In most of the hotels you'll find napkins in their restaurants but out on the street it's another story :bleh:

I'll often iron and neatly fold shirts but no matter how carefully I pack them they always look a little ... well ... packed. :rolleyes: Most hotels have a laundry service and can get you taken care of there. If your gal washes some clothes for you expect it to be stiff when you get it back, very few people have clothes dryers and everything is hung to dry and ends up stiff.

Talking about this makes me jealous that you're leaving tomorrow ... I'm leaving for Shenzhen a week from today :plane:

See you there! :ok:

Bob

Just in case I am taking the Sear's Catalog with me. :lol:

Mark, yaw is a man after my own heart. Remember, on a Sears catalog, the glossy pages don't have much "pick-up" power...you can get an issue of Globe or issue of National Enquirer from your local grocery store which, as well as they're, anal-litical and insightful readin'...they have EXCELLENT pick-up power, bubba.

Have a great time in Chinertucky, it's the place to be!!! ;)

One question...what is an iron and clothes hangers?

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

I think those travel tissues work the best. You will not need them in hotels . If you are going to eat any food while in china then a quick RUN to ANY restroom may be in order. You will not be happy when you look around and find you left home without it. I would check with your doctor and see if he can write you something for diarrhoea, ciprofloxin or the like. My first trip into china to see a now exgirlfriend it was needed. Her mother was a retired medical doctor and she has some handy. It seemed like 12 hours after taking some I was a new man. :helpsmilie: I would take some over the counter medical drugs with you for colds or small cuts . A quick chat with your doctor is a good idea before you go he may reccomend some vaccinations.or booster for TD. I had Hep 1+2 . Some people shrug this off.

I stayed at yans home and she washed my clothes. She did not have a dryer so it was drip dry in the kitchen. I had her put a fan on them to help speed things along.As far as buying clothes in china it depends on your size. I am over 6 ft tall and yan wanted to buy me some clothes. Nothing fit me.

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)

Get a few small pack kleenex. I mean the 10-sheet little packs. One (or two) pack can easily fit in your pocket or a lady's handbag. - available in all convenient stores in China

Get a few small packs of wet tissue, to clean hands and places that you need to clean. - available in most drug stores, grocery stores in China

You may find toilet seat cover in small packs. Those can be useful. - This could be hard to find in China. (Can only find them in a few big Chain grocery stores)

Hangers. No. You can always ask for more in hotels, or to buy locally.

I agree with the advice to have your own t/p with you at all times. I strongly disagree to all the other opinions. Those guys never left their 5 star suite.

As for all those clothes you packed. What for? They likely are all marked 'Made in China." Take 3 changes with you, counting the one you're wearing.

Then go shopping. It's a good chance to get to know everything. But, an especially good chance to meet the SO on her turf. Shopping.

Avoid the Hotel cleaning service at all costs. The rates are outrageous compared to the local shop down the street. The mop slapping begins now if you use their service.

Recommendations do not apply if you are one of the 'Elite, I fly and stay First Class travelers.' Then, of course, you'll have somebody on staff to wipe your butt. And, iron your clothes.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I agree with the advice to have your own t/p with you at all times. I strongly disagree to all the other opinions. Those guys never left their 5 star suite.

Or at least took a crap there before we left....

:partytime2:

Guest ShaQuaNew

Here is my advice:

- Pack a suit case full of nothing but TP :huh:

- While there, buy some clothes... and bring it home in the now empty suitcase :D

Please feel free to leave any unused rolls of TP with me before you leave. It'll save me from having to go to the store and buying it...

:huh:

Guest Rob & Jin

Here is my advice:

- While there, buy some clothes... and bring it home in the now empty suitcase :D

now that is great advice David :huh:

Here is my advice:

now that is great advice David :D

I agree Rob ... I like the way David thinks :lol:

Made to China just fine, no problems with TP just trying to figure out the GF for now. I will try and write more latter.

Hey Mark,

Glad to hear everything went well getting there ;) ... have fun with your lady!

See you later in the week!

Bob