Bringing Desktop to China

I built my new Desktop computer about 5 months ago and I'm rather attached to it. The way I see it I have several options, none of which I am particularly fond of.

1. Disassemble and package with care, take in luggage.

2. Package entire thing with luggage, big chance of it dropping 10FT to its doom (I see it happen every day).

3. Disassemble and package with care, ship to china, possibility of it being stolen (is there an insurance option with packages in China?)

3. package entire thing and ship to China.

I'm not sure which would be the cheapest option, and which would be best. I suppose I could Disassemble and take the important/expensive parts with me and have the rest on my checked baggage. Any other thoughts/ideas?

I built my new Desktop computer about 5 months ago and I'm rather attached to it. The way I see it I have several options, none of which I am particularly fond of.

1. Disassemble and package with care, take in luggage.

2. Package entire thing with luggage, big chance of it dropping 10FT to its doom (I see it happen every day).

3. Disassemble and package with care, ship to china, possibility of it being stolen (is there an insurance option with packages in China?)

3. package entire thing and ship to China.

I'm not sure which would be the cheapest option, and which would be best. I suppose I could Disassemble and take the important/expensive parts with me and have the rest on my checked baggage. Any other thoughts/ideas?

What would be the shipping destination in China (a person, a business)? Have you sent other packages to that address? If it's a person, do they have experience receiving packages from overseas? Do they know what the postal delivery would do if they weren't home?

My personal experience with sending packages to China is very good: 100% success. The packages were sent to a hotel owned by a family member, not to a residence.

My experience with sending letters to China is not so good.

If it were me, I would take the hard drive(s) in my carry on luggage and ship the rest of the PC intact. You can get peripherals (flat-screen, keyboard & mouse, etc.) in China for a reasonable price.

There are some materials that are taboo on computers going into and out of China. Read up on it if you haven't already. I always take a laptop and I've never been checked. But, hard drives are probably a bit unusual and might raise suspicion with customs.

If this is a location to which you will travel often, you might consider buying a PC in China and leaving it there. (That's what I did.)

I'm baffled... why bring a desktop to china?

She can even get a used one for 1000 RMB or not more... and it would at least have chinese OS...

I'm just personally really against bring a computer from US to China.. sorry that I'm not answering you question.

He's moving to Tianjin.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Chinese law will not allow a desktop to be shipped to China. Before moving to China, I bought a laptop in the US, and then used a copy application to transfer all my files to it. Of course, you have to re-install all your applications. You can carry a laptop on the plane.

Be aware that computers are not only more expensive in China, but also have reduced capability in RAM and speed. It's best to buy a computer in the US.

Hey Carl.

I packed one, twice, to China and back, no problems at customs anywhere. Was a mid-tower beastie.

It was in my luggage.

First I taped 1/4 inch foam sheeting around all of the edges.

Then I made 2 U Shaped holder thingies out of cardboard, taped them to the chassis. They kinda look like a larger 'magazine rack/holder' thingie.

I only brought the box, I bought mouse, k/b, screen in china.

I did pack it, the 2nd time, with baggies full of oatmeal.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Thanks Darnell, that gives me some peace of mind. This is not a cheap computer, the graphics card alone was bought for $400. I will take out any cards attached to the motherboard and package them neatly so if any falls do occur nothing bad will happen. And then tape the rest of it up with foam and use peanuts for the rest.

I understand your attachment to your Mac Jim :P but this is a gaming computer, and a graphics tool for Maya and 3Ds Max ;-) as soon as Macs can play all games I'll consider one :ph34r:

Guest Mike and Lily

Thanks Darnell, that gives me some peace of mind. This is not a cheap computer, the graphics card alone was bought for $400. I will take out any cards attached to the motherboard and package them neatly so if any falls do occur nothing bad will happen. And then tape the rest of it up with foam and use peanuts for the rest.

I understand your attachment to your Mac Jim :P but this is a gaming computer, and a graphics tool for Maya and 3Ds Max ;-) as soon as Macs can play all games I'll consider one :ph34r:

If it's too advanced, the US government might consider you a spy for exporting sophisticated technologies to the commies! ;)

Guest WenDylan

This is not a cheap computer, the graphics card alone was bought for $400.

It wouldn't happen to say "Made in China" on it? :sosad:

All that kind of stuff is so cheap at the electronics markets... from the factory straight down the street. ;)

Carl, I don't think you need peanuts at all. If you use foam strips around the edges, then cover the rest with cardboard, yer set.