Afidavit of support

Ok, my situation is that I've been out of work for 9 months now and I've been trying to get work, but the economy really sucks bad. I've finally gotten a part-time job.

What I was wondering is if we really do need a letter of employment and some pay stubs? Could I just use my 3 years of tax transcripts to show for support? For last year, I've made well over the poverty line and my tax transcripts show it. I know, I know I could get someone to co-sponsor... the fact is that everyone in my family is roughing it out bad as well. Has anyone ever tried just using tax transcripts?

thanks.

yes, you could use *try* using transcripts alone... here's the issue:

1. When is your predicted interview date? If the next taxes are already due by that time, then they could ask for the current taxes...

2. GUZ could ask for the I-134! WHich asks for current income, etc... THe way around that is.... your SO says, here are the tax transcripts... and just hands those over... (assuming you'd prefer the I-134 not be the basis of the review)... and hope the VO doesn't press again for the I-134.

It depends on what the VO asks for... and then really wants in the end.

oh!! is this for AOS? SO the I-864 is used...

SO you filed already? and are worried about what is asked at the interview?

I think the the interview letter says to bring new financials... I had a snafu and forget to have my W-2s for the most recent year... was able to think faster than the rate of sweat... and got through it by presenting other evidence I prepared.

Here was my experience and write-up on the AOS interview...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16457

Yes, I'm filing AOS the I-485 and everything else that goes with it. I've been trying to get a job for the longest time, but just bad luck with the economy. Anyways, I haven't filed yet. We gotten married and it's like 120 days or so, I figure I better file even without a job. I'm hoping that the transcripts would all be needed...I'm at a part time job now. I just started and don't even have a paystub yet. So... that's where I stand. I've been reading about co-sponsoring, but the rest of my family members are having a hard time like the rest of the world. Anyways, I wanted to see what other options I had...since I rent and not own. We do have a savings, I've some stocks...but in my and my sister's name. Other than that...hope to have luck on my side. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for clarifying...

ok... since you have not filed yet.. I can only ASSume you are K1 or K3 for the wife; I ASSume the former.

Yes, you can file with what you have now... and hope to find a job and than at interview have better evidence; if not, then a joint-sponsor would be recommended.

Most K1s try to file by the 90 day marriage limit; applying the 90 days of marriage to the AOS filing. In fact, this is not technically necessary.... you can apply your AOS at later than 90 days.... as your already later now.

two choices, I don't know your city where you reside, but the AOS will take many months anyways...

1. File now with what you have... give updated info later

2. Wait a bit to see if you get a job... then file.

Myself... I would wait a month or two and see your job prospects... but file soon...

This confused me :unsure:, David:

>>>Most K1s try to file by the 90 day marriage limit; applying the 90 days of marriage to the AOS filing. In fact, this is not technically necessary.... you can apply your AOS at later than 90 days.... as your already later now.

Are you saying that you do not need to have your AOS paperwork in the lockbox 90 days after your gal arrives?

>>>Most K1s try to file by the 90 day marriage limit; applying the 90 days of marriage to the AOS filing. In fact, this is not technically necessary.... you can apply your AOS at later than 90 days.... as your already later now.

Are you saying that you do not need to have your AOS paperwork in the lockbox 90 days after your gal arrives?

Yes that's correct - just get it in in a reasonable time frame. 6 months would probably go through without a problem up to a year.

Yes that is what he is saying, the marriage needs to happen within the 90 days, but the AOS filing does not. Many delay filing AOS for some time for financial or other reasons.

The only catch is the K-1 holder wont be able to get EAD or AP until they file AOS, so are essentially in limbo until they do.

we tried to apply without employment letter and pay stubs, just the tax forms (cuz my husband's in grad school and his parents are co-sponsors, we wanted to trouble them as little as possible). It's coming back to bite us. Biometrics came quickly. But got asked for initial evidence (which is all that extra stuff we tried to avoid giving) couple weeks after biometrics. Evidence received and processing resumed on 7/21. Still no news on either the EAD card or the green card yet. I don't think they'll even give you an interview without seeing complete documents. =(

we tried to apply without employment letter and pay stubs, just the tax forms (cuz my husband's in grad school and his parents are co-sponsors, we wanted to trouble them as little as possible). It's coming back to bite us. Biometrics came quickly. But got asked for initial evidence (which is all that extra stuff we tried to avoid giving) couple weeks after biometrics. Evidence received and processing resumed on 7/21. Still no news on either the EAD card or the green card yet. I don't think they'll even give you an interview without seeing complete documents. =(

Man o' Man, this hassle with USCIS makes the CR-1 visa look better and better.

Man o' Man, this hassle with USCIS makes the CR-1 visa look better and better.

Depends on whether you'd rather hassle with GUZ while separated or USCIS while together.

Ok, not sure if someone is looking over me or not...but I hope so. :)

I've officially gotten an offer letter, but it's for part-time work only. I guess I'll be over the poverty line making $12/hr getting 35 hours a week...which is 1/2 of what I use to make. Anyways, beggars cannot be choosers at this point. I'm not much over the poverty line, but it does help. Does anyone know if it would work against me if I make only a few thousand over the poverty line?

Thanks for the heads up AmyandDoug, think I'll try my best to get all the documents and paper work, even if I'm slightly delayed in sending my packet in. And thanks DaveZ.

I NEVER offer advice. I will tell you that we got married [K-1] at about 80 days after Li Wen got here. Filed for AOS about 5 months after that. In between, I got laided off. I sent the minimum [the one year EZ section] for the financials. She got the green card in about 60 days, with no RFE.