AOS interview

This one is more about reflecting back on the process and how I prepared and organized for it, and some advice.

---

THE CASE:

Although I was across the table from the Adjudicating Officer (AO), I was at an angle which allowed me to see the entire case as he thumbed through it. This allowed me to see his thoroughness with which he reviewed the case and the consistency marks he made in it; Often he would stop at one, ask a question, then either circle or checkmark something. Everything appears to be there including the medical exam from BJ. One thing I noticed was that the tabs I had put on the original I-485 submission were no longer on those pages.

This AO clearly wanted to validate the case first, and sought to verify her eligibility issues by wanting to see her medical and biometrics were complete. Then he moved on to questions to us…

FYI: I filled out the I-485 on the computer. I also filled in the section asking if anyone prepared this form other than the applicant and I signed this section. My wife signed the section for applicant signature. Neither one of us was asked any question regarding the form’s preparation. It could be that she was asked so many questions because of this, but based on others AOS interview feedback, I think asking the I-485 questions to the applicant should be expected.

GAME PLAN:

Just like the GUZ interview, my review of interviews helped me to formulate a game plan and how to organize our material. As well, in both cases, I made a critical change to ease issues for my wife: At GUZ this was the decision to do the interview in Chinese (decided about 2 months prior) and for the AOS this was the decision to get a translator (decided a few weeks prior).

Our plan for AOS was that I would mostly be in control (retrieve any documents and answer any questions that appeared general), and she would interject whenever she wanted and ask the translator for clarification at any time. The three of us talked through this as we waited to be called to the backroom.

TRANSLATOR:

It seemed that the AO wants to know that the applicant understands the questions (after all, we are sworn in—including the translator). So the use of a translator seems to be welcomed and in the best interest of the applicant if there is any doubt. For about half of the interview, the translator was not needed; the main need was for the I-485 questions.

With a translator, this also eased the burden on her; she did not have to study the questions and could simply respond more spontaneously, which is her style.

I would only suggest that each person prepare in such a way as best suits your SO.. if she likes to know everything and be in control over some issues, then build your plan, prepare and use a translator around that. Let your SO be herself and be informed as much as she wants.

QUESTIONS:

I prepared and expected (and indeed received) questions on the following levels:

1) Verification of previous documents

2) Focus on the I-485 questions (I gave translator printouts prior to interview)

3) Relationship/emotional questions

ORGANIZATION:

Here is what I decided to do:

1) One folder had ALL pre-AOS material The I-129F NOA2 original was in it’s original envelope, marked on outside; Had a copy of this as well.

2) One folder with any documentary evidence that included photocopies of anything about me (birth certificate, SSN, passport), her (ID, EAD, SSN, passport) and complete sets of the AOS filing (I-485 and I-765 filings, passport photos and financials). All original documents were in their original envelope, marked on outside as to what it was (ie: I-485 NOA1).

3) Separated from this was a complete set of the I-485 & I-765 filing and about 8 photos in a store envelope. This complete set was mine, to quickly review for any reason. If a copy or original of something was requested, I would of taken that from the folder #2.

I don’t think you need to spend stressful amounts of time organizing and preparing. But being organized and prepared means both the material and mental side. My approach is to think thoroughly through what I want to do and then the night before I gathered and organized it all, even going out the morning of our trip to make all the photocopies.

PUBLIC CHARGE:

I approached the AOS the same as the GUZ interview; that there’s more than one way to satisfy the public charge requirements. Since I was in charge of this interview, I could decide how to handle any request or problem. Going into it, I assumed they would want to verify both last year’s income and this year’s income (both are reflected in the I-864).

I did not update my employment letter, but brought the same one used for the GUZ interview, which was dated about 5 months ago. I expected to be asked for pay stubs, which I knew I did not have since I am paid direct deposit. So I prepared for this by bringing copies of my bank statements for the last few months showing the deposits and I knew that this would also serve as proof of joint ownership with both our names on it. My one oversight was taking out my W2s the night before and forgetting to put them back in.

I think this is an important issue to realize: That although you might not of filed taxes yet (ie: for GUZ or AOS interviews between Jan and April) , they have every right to ask for W2s. So, for both GUZ and AOS, we need to be careful about advising people that they might not need taxes, but W2s should still be brought.

As expected, I was asked for an employment letter and/or pay stubs. Since my first choice was to provide the bank statements, I gave that and it was accepted without issue.

Next he asked if I had filed taxes and I responded NO. I was then asked if I had my W2s. Admittedly, I had absolutely nothing to backup my I-864 number for the previous year. And while I suspect that he really would of liked something, he let it go. Ultimately, he did not feel a need to press that issue and demand something or deny us till we could furnish proof. I also believe that ultimately the proof of current income is probably more important and his overall satisfaction was meet.

PICTURES:

I will say that the AO did not ask for pictures. This was probably the biggest surprise mainly because I studied one AOS case where an AO stated a requirement to have at least one picture for their files from the interview.

He saw that I was minimally organized with a few folders and small picture envelope. As we left, and I gathered my stuff, he freely said to me that some come in these interviews with 10 lbs of paper and pictures and it’s not necessary.

The A Number:

Each K1 is given an [A-] number early in the process at the I-129F NOA2 and it appears that this number is used as the primary identifier for the petitioner/applicant. We ran into an issue that the I-485 NOA1 has the wrong [A-] number, so that her biometrics were not recorded against her file/name. It was our oversight not to have noticed this upon receipt of this notice, as it states to notify them of any correction. Since I had the original with biometric stamps, we quickly resolved this issue.

So it would be a good practice to ensure the proper [A-] number on:

- I-129F NOA2

- Any P3, P4 requiring it.

- I-94 stapled in passport (I will say that ours looks wrong here, a third number)

- Any document and cover letter for filing AOS, EAD, and AP.

- Any NOA1, NOA2, appointment letters during AOS, EAD, and AP.

My wife says that at the biometrics, the lady also wrote down her SSN incorrectly and that she was looking over the woman’s shoulder and told her it was wrong. Although she had no knowledge of the proper [A-] number at the time.

You might want to start collecting in one place all the various numbers and have your SO write a note if needed what each one is (my wife keeps a little book on her for everything under the sun). I would recommend you collect throughout the process and have a page that contains:

- INS receipt number (ie: WAC# is for CSC; EAC# is for VSC)

- A- number on the I-129F or I-130 NOA2.

- Case number: GUZ #

- Passport # (in red at top of first page with picture)

- Visa # (in red) and expiration date

- I-94 # and arrival date and expiration date

- Any MSC # from filing AOS, EAD, AP

- SSN

- State ID / driver’s license #

IDs:

Our State ID was a pain to acquire, but we were saved by the fact that on the last page of her Chinese passport is BEARERS SIGNATURE, which she signed in english, so this served as signature verification. I would recommend that she sign this in english (or both). In the future, any need of validating signatures makes this a useful source.

Although we only had our EAD for a short time, it was useful in a few situations to serve as a second form of ID.

NAMES:

I follow two rules of thumb in regards to names:

1) Any form that asked for any name, I always put the LAST/FAMILY name in ALL CAPITALS, and the First/Given name in Mixed Case. I have seen government documents this way and even noticed that our civil surgeon did this as well.. so I think it is a good practice to visually reinforce name differentiation.

2) Any Chinese given name with two characters should list the english translation of them as one single word/name. If you separate them, there’s the possibility (which has been reported) that the second character gets interpreted as a middle name gets on the NOAs or Visa that way. The exception would be those cases where the P3 and P4 asks for telegraphic codes, you should have the Chinese character with each code.

Someone pointed this out as an issue recently, so I thought I would borrow the suggestion to ensure people are aware of it. When asked for the country of your SO, write CHINA as a minimum (do not just write PRC). You could write: People’s Republic of China, but it seems unnecessarily long, although correct.

MORE INFO:

Any AOS interview you can research and read is worthwhile. The AOS FAQ will contain useful information to help prepare you. Here’s two links. The first two are my after and before; The last one proves that any interview obstacle can be successful.

AOS Interview, PASSED, with some twists and turns...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16430

AOS Interview, evidence and questions

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16040

AOS Interview, Passed but not official 'til CIA is done

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10181

Wow! Great summary David and I am sure it will be helpful to many who follow you.

I am still amazed at the detailed your interview was. As I mentioned in another thread, ours was very brief and over before we knew it. Also, you mentioned that you were sworn in. We were not.

Interesting.

Where did you have your interview? :)

Wow! Great summary David and I am sure it will be helpful to many who follow you.

I am still amazed at the detailed your interview was. As I mentioned in another thread, ours was very brief and over before we knew it. Also, you mentioned that you were sworn in. We were not.

Interesting.

Where did you have your interview?  :)

197381[/snapback]

In boston.

Someone who lives in the next town over, still in MA, only about 10 minutes from us will be going to Hartford, CT

Interesting.

Where did you have your interview?  :blink:

197381[/snapback]

In boston.

Someone who lives in the next town over, still in MA, only about 10 minutes from us will be going to Hartford, CT

197383[/snapback]

I can relate!

The Alabama/Tennessee state line runs right through the middle of the town where we live. We live less than a half-mile into Tennessee. If we moved 3/4 of a mile south, we would have had to go to Atlanta rather than Memphis.

In fact, when we first returned to the States from China, we lived on the Alabama side. Our initial paperwork for AOS was filed in Atlanta. When we moved, because we crossed the state line, our case was transferred to Memphis.

Only got one more question regarding the AOS interview: are we expected to have copies of the paperwork we submitted along with the 129F?

Please say no......... :greenblob:

198555[/snapback]

Other than the sponser's birth certificate and passport, I've read the instructions to mean only the NOAs.

We are bringing the following:

Birth and marriage certificates.

Credit/Bank Cards, health insurance card, bank statements and utility bills in her name. Also my dependant elections printout from my employer.

Print out from SSA (three request for the card :clapping: )

I was lucky enough to file jointly for 2005 so I have a copy of our return

and a copy of the refund check. In addition to all returns from 2002.

And last, copies and originals of all supporting docs filed with the

I485/I864 and a small photo album.

Another good tip by David is to make sure the Chinese passport is

signed. I checked my wife's and it was not so I had her sign it in Chinese and English. I guess a "signiture" is less important in China.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

If, by 'copies of the paperwork,' you mean passport pages, birth certificates, divorce papers, taxes and proof of support I guess the answer is yes. Things like phone records, copies of chats, airline tickets, photos of you and her together with her family and other 'proof of a valid relationship' have been replaced by the requirement that you provide documents that 'prove your marriage is real.'

See David's list here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...=0entry193397

Concerning the paperwork prior to any AOS paperwork:

I would say that if you have it, bring it... it won't take up too much room and should all fit into one folder (as I did).

I think it's very remote any request would be made for anything from that time period..but applying what happened at our AOS interview:

1) he could not find the evidence for biometrics in computer (which also implies they did not make a copy of the form with stamps for their own records :rolleyes: )...

2) he could not find the medical exam paperwork forwarded by the consulate

I guess there could be a chance that they ask you to furnish proof of something if they don't see it in the file... And the #2 would definitely be a show-stopper if the phyiscal was lost.. I did bring what copies I had from the physical and was ready to show them if requested...

In the end, I did have to show him proof of the first thing and he eventually found the second in the file....

Dumb question:

What's an I-129F NOA2, who was supposed to receive it (me or her) and where can I get one?

Sadly she didn't bring any of her documents here from China, including her birth certificate so I haven't seen any of the documents the US embassy sent her (I should have looked when I was in China). Otherwise I might have been stupid and tossed it if it was sent to me, although I have copies of any status notifications they sent me.

Edited by bnolsen (see edit history)