What is the cheapest way to make calls back to the US?

I used skype, I have Skype-out enabled on my account, you may find skype installed in most internet cafe's or can quickly install it in most hotel's business center, or carry a laptop with it installed, and make the call anywhere you can find highspeed internet.

2cents per min.

http://www.skype.com/

I appreciate the personal recommendations that start off with, or include, ..."I have used..."

On the other hand, simple links to a site, without endorsement, and said site then tells me calls FROM China to USA are really 1.8 min plus toll charges, plus cell phone charges are less helpful.

Well, I had a bad experience with one of those "discount" sites. 'No connection fees,' in big print.

Trouble is, a 30 minute card lasted about ten minutes because they did have unadvertised service fees, disconnect fees and you name it other ways of ripping me off.

I appreciate the personal recommendations that start off with, or include, ..."I have used..."

On the other hand, simple links to a site, without endorsement, and said site then tells me calls FROM China to USA are really 1.8 min plus toll charges, plus cell phone charges are less helpful.

Well, I had a bad experience with one of those "discount" sites. 'No connection fees,' in big print.

Trouble is, a 30 minute card lasted about ten minutes because they did have unadvertised service fees, disconnect fees and you name it other ways of ripping me off.

Yep, first time I went to China 2005, I was clueless and used ATT to call home a coupe of times, it was a $200 mistake, I then did some research and discovered Skype, and have been using it ever since, I used it past 2 times to China, and my wife uses it now to call home all the time.

NO hidden fees, just prepay up front using pay-pal. When they say 2 cents per min they mean 2 cents per min.

Eventually I may be able to get a number in China that people could call in to Skype, currently the closest I can do is get a HK number.

When I was dateing my Yu on line we used Skype at both ends and talked for hours for FREE.

rong buys international phone cards from a older woman on the street...does a little bit of haggling for the price....can't tell you just how much she pays for the cards or how many minutes they are good for...i know is not as cheap as calling from the usa, but i am 90% of the time the one that calls her....but when i am in china and want to call home, i use her cards...am sure can get these cards about anywhere in any major city in china

I haven't tried it yet but I have heard that those of us with I-talk BB can take the modem and an American phone to China, plug it into a computer and use it there just like you would at home.

Actualy it is an IP phone device, it plugs into an Ethernet port on router, or DSL or Cable-Modem, and allows the plugging in of a telephone to high-speed internet, the box is programed with a North American phone number, so calling from and to the box anywhere in the world looks like calling a number in North America.

voitelPhoneAdapter.jpg

Companies that offer this type of device are:

Vonage http://www.vonage.com/help_vonage.php?refe...BHO0706010001W1

Voitel https://www.marketamerica.com/danyu/index.c...IP.voipOverview (My Yu and I sell this one)

Skype (IP Phone, get a NA Skype IN (Online) number)

Purchase and activate the device in the USA and then take it to China.

....can't tell you just how much she pays for the cards or how many minutes they are good for...
My wife and I bought 100 rmb face value, famous name phone cards, in China, for 48 rmb at the wholesale place when we bought two cards at the same time. My wife recalls it was about .03 rmb per minute. but, the fact is, we do not recall, exactly. One advantage is that you can use this kind of card with a cell phone or home phone and no computer connectivity is required.

Before we had Italkbb, I used pincity.com. It was a calling card that worked not only from US, but China as well. Lisa had the local Nanning access number and pin. This is how she woke me up, oops I mean called me, to tell me the P4 invitation letter had arrived. I also called my sister when ever I was in China. Access number was no charge and the fee was either 2 or 4 cents a minute. Always worked with hotel phones and many public phones without anything extra. Calling to China was always 2.1 cents. Not a bad rate back in 2004. SInce I have Italkbb, I have no clue what rates are now.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

....can't tell you just how much she pays for the cards or how many minutes they are good for...
My wife and I bought 100 rmb face value, famous name phone cards, in China, for 48 rmb at the wholesale place when we bought two cards at the same time. My wife recalls it was about .03 rmb per minute. but, the fact is, we do not recall, exactly. One advantage is that you can use this kind of card with a cell phone or home phone and no computer connectivity is required.

yep.....sounds like the same thing rong gets......has a face value, but i dont think anyone pays face value.....and really very easy and convenient to use...no need to hunt for a computer if you or she is away from her home