Sending money to Family

I saw the BOA post but what if you dont have

a BOA account? Little less than 1k with western

union is $74. Our bank is $60 for the same amount.

Anyone found a beter way? What is money you

send in USD converted to? Less or more?

What about a prepaid visa like green dot or

something, anyone used these?

My wifes dad has just died trying to get

our family there some money ASAP!

Western Union is $14 if you carry cash to an agent location, which might be at a grocery store or some other place with the Western Union sign.

Agent locations in China are just as plentiful - China Post and China Agricultural Bank (or something like that).

I always sent the amount in dollars, so they could convert it at the other end.

Yep. Western Union outlet - in person. Cheapest and fastest method. Check your phone book for locations. Like Randy said, some grocery stores have them but you can also find them in check cashing joints.

Thanks much!! Will go now

Thank you guys very much!!!!!

Guest Tony n Terrific

I sent my SO some money to fix her computer last month. The cost to Western Union was $14 to send it. If you go on line and pay with a credit card you are going to get knocked in the creek. The CC will charge you a 3% transaction fee plus Western Union will hit you about 11% of the total.

To find a WU close to you call Western Union 1-800-325-6000

https://wumt.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB/stat...amp;method=load

I sent my SO some money to fix her computer last month. The cost to Western Union was $14 to send it. If you go on line and pay with a credit card you are going to get knocked in the creek. The CC will charge you a 3% transaction fee plus Western Union will hit you about 11% of the total.

To find a WU close to you call Western Union 1-800-325-6000

https://wumt.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB/stat...amp;method=load

Yeh found that out. Crazy mess. Send 1k on the web from

NC to Xi'an fee is $81 not 70 something. Do it at Food Lion

its $14. Have you guys seen Moneygram? Only took a quik

look but seems not to bad send it on the web. Fees I mean.

We got overwhelmed trying to find a way fast to help our

family. Can't explain how hard this is on my wife, me too.

Money cant take the place of being there but we cant.

Thank you guys very much, means more than can say.

Thank you all for your help!

One minute everything was fine. Next minute he left us.

Edited by JingJoseph (see edit history)

I'd avoid Moneygram. Smaller amounts may be OK, but it's not nearly as good as WU. We had some money sent from China via Moneygram. I spent a full day trying to get it cashed here in Salem.

WU is cheap, fast and reliable. It's pretty easy for the receiver in China to get cash. For occasional transfers, it's a good way to go. For periodic transfers, there's better options.

Understand. Will call brother-in-law and mom their time.

Just off the phone with WU. You are right. Thanks Don!

Very much so!!

I use WU, pay for it on line with my debit card and it only costs $14.

• 1 month later...

I use WU, pay for it on line with my debit card and it only costs $14.

I've sent tons of money to China since July of this year, and sent $2,000 more yesterday by western Union. The exchange rate was 6.80rmb per US dollar, my lil' rabbit picked up 13,640rmb. The fee was $17.

On the many times I sent the max that W/U allowed ($7,499.99) in a single day, the fee was $26.

When you make the transaction over the phone you just tell the W/U operator you want the money converted into "local currency".

Too easy!!

tsap seui

On my second trip to China, I left my wife with a debit card from my second bank account. When she came here in March of 2005, we left it with her brother. We have since given them the replacement card. Brother uses it to withdrawl money for family. It is also used for when my wife needs anything from China.

This is cheap, we are charged 2.00 from the bank withdrawl in China. The exchange rate we get with US Bank is slightly better than we would get with Western Union, but not as good if we went to a bank in China to exchange. It has been a while since I checked, but ever time I do, I am very happy with the rate. Still unless you can send US Dollars, this is the best way I have found to send money.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

So what to think is the better way to send money thru W/U? Have it sent in UDS or in RMB, Don't they get hit with a fee for converting the USD to RMB when they go to pick up the money on top of the cost W/U charges us to send it?

On my second trip to China, I left my wife with a debit card from my second bank account. When she came here in March of 2005, we left it with her brother. We have since given them the replacement card. Brother uses it to withdrawl money for family. It is also used for when my wife needs anything from China.

This is cheap, we are charged 2.00 from the bank withdrawl in China. The exchange rate we get with US Bank is slightly better than we would get with Western Union, but not as good if we went to a bank in China to exchange. It has been a while since I checked, but ever time I do, I am very happy with the rate. Still unless you can send US Dollars, this is the best way I have found to send money.

So what to think is the better way to send money thru W/U? Have it sent in UDS or in RMB, Don't they get hit with a fee for converting the USD to RMB when they go to pick up the money on top of the cost W/U charges us to send it?

I've always sent USD. I think they can then exchange the money wherever they get the best deal

I opened a free "My Smart Cash" account at Fidelity.com. I then mailed the ATM card to my fiancee and when it arrived I told her the PIN number.

ATM withdraws are free at any bank in the world. There is no minimum balance and no monthly fees. Can't get any better than that.

This is a great ATM card to have when traveling overseas too. No need for travelers checks and no ATM fees.

A Paypal debit card also works great. $1.00 transaction fee. You can transfer funds from your bank account to your Paypal account and withdrawals can be made 5 or 6 days later. Daily withdrawals are limited, seems like 2,000 yuan. Beats paying WU $14.00 plus you don't have to leave your house to transfer the funds.

Everybody has their comfort level on sending money. Personally I don't know squat about online banking and pay yer pal accounts. ;) No clue. ;)

I had a bunch of days back in July and August where I sent W/Union's daily max of $7,499.99 to China. Each transaction was $26.... the lil' rabbit was picking up her 51,000 yuan up at the W/U window, walking 15 away, and depositing it all in her account. We were looking to buy a house and it was the quickest way my Homer Simpson thinkin' mind could figure out to get the cash into the dagnabbit rabbit's account...and where she could QUICKLY access it.

tsap seui :D