China's hopes for gold in 110M hurdles dashed?

Qualifying just finished....... Liu Xiang was in final heat and appears to have injury to his right ankle from practice(?), was unable to get to the first hurdle after the start. Very sad for such a great athlete :D .

Update: apparently Liu Xiang has been suffering from an injury since May, according to a press conference just finished in Beijing. Also, he actually withdrew from the race after having difficulty during the first start which was halted due to a false start by another runner. At the press conference it was stated that his injury was to the heel.

Edited by Bill & Tian (see edit history)

Qualifying just finished....... Liu Xiang was in final heat and appears to have injury to his right ankle from practice(?), was unable to get to the first hurdle after the start. Very sad for such a great athlete :rolleyes: .

Update: apparently Liu Xiang has been suffering from an injury since May, according to a press conference just finished in Beijing. Also, he actually withdrew from the race after having difficulty during the first start which was halted due to a false start by another runner. At the press conference it was stated that his injury was to the heel.

It is always sad that an athlete makes it this far only to be stopped by an injury. Maybe he will make it to the next summer Olympics.....

There was an awful lot of hype that he would repeat his Athens gold. But that's athletics for you...stuff happens...Although speaking of gold I am postive he made a very large pile of it in the last four years endorsing everything fom soup to nuts... :)

There was an awful lot of hype that he would repeat his Athens gold. But that's athletics for you...stuff happens...Although speaking of gold I am postive he made a very large pile of it in the last four years endorsing everything fom soup to nuts... :)

You're right Rog. Costas said last night that you couldn't go anywhere in China or watch anything on TV without seeing his face constantly. My wife confirmed how popular is there and what a huge dissapointment this is for China. :D

I knew he was popular but had no idea just how so. What a shame. Can you imagine the electricity that would've created in The Bird's Nest with him running for a gold medal? A damn shame. :P

It's a damn shame, the kid was huring badly but wanted to give it told Chinese try. That false start just killed it. I really felt sorry for the man... Once in a lifetime dream becomes a nightmare.

Besides, I wanted to see USA whomp him to try to shut up lao po.

My bed, 3:00am -- i'm sound asleep, lao po, enters ... Talking!

Lao Gong! China wins MORE gold today, much more gold that USA. Isn't that great?

mummbling: Those are chinese girls, those are boys taking drugs from communist German people. Those little boys only 7 years old.