China visa for new US citizen

Now that my wife is a US citizen we are planning a trip to China this winter. She will now need a visa but will she have to surrender her Chinese passport in the process? In the US she has dual citizenship but China doesn't recognize that.

Yep, this is what I have been reading at the various visa services, as well as the Chinese Embassy website.

5. An applicant who was born in China is required to submit his /her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa when he/she applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport. A Chinese child born in US shall provide the original and copy of his/her birth certificate for the first time of applying for a visa.
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84246.htm

3. An applicant born in China who applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport is required to submit his /her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa.
http://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html

Thanks Dan, I was just gong to post that I had found the same quote at the consulate website. It also mentions if you are visiting friends or family that you submit a certificate of kinship. That is a little vague. What exactly does that entail?

Thanks Dan, I was just gong to post that I had found the same quote at the consulate website. It also mentions if you are visiting friends or family that you submit a certificate of kinship. That is a little vague. What exactly does that entail?

If I remember correctly the birth cert will show siblings, and parents on it.

If I remember correctly the birth cert will show siblings, and parents on it.

Or this!

Applicants staying with Family in China

Applicants staying with family iin China, rather than staying in a hotel, must provide round trip air tickets as well as an invitation from the Chinese relatives and evidence of kindship such as a copy of birth certificate OR copy of Marriage Certficate

Yep, this is what I have been reading at the various visa services, as well as the Chinese Embassy website.

5. An applicant who was born in China is required to submit his /her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa when he/she applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport. A Chinese child born in US shall provide the original and copy of his/her birth certificate for the first time of applying for a visa.
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84246.htm

3. An applicant born in China who applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport is required to submit his /her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa.
http://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html

I'm not quite sure I understand. A Chinese child born in the US will have to provide an original and a copy of a birth certificate in order to obtain a Chinese visa? Wouldn't that make him or her an American Child? Chinese children need Chinese passports, not visas right?

I'm not quite sure I understand. A Chinese child born in the US will have to provide an original and a copy of a birth certificate in order to obtain a Chinese visa? Wouldn't that make him or her an American Child? Chinese children need Chinese passports, not visas right?

No - anyone with an American passport - Chinese, American, or anywhere else - will need a visa.

Some Chinese-Americans have (originally) Chinese passports, and do not need visas, unless they have become American citizens.

A child born in the US to Chinese citizen parent(s) may get a Chinese (or American) passport. Anyone born in the US is an American citizen by birth and may get an American passport.

No - anyone with an American passport - Chinese, American, or anywhere else - will need a visa.

Some Chinese-Americans have (originally) Chinese passports, and do not need visas, unless they have become American citizens.

A child born in the US to Chinese citizen parent(s) may get a Chinese (or American) passport. Anyone born in the US is an American citizen by birth and may get an American passport.

I look at it this way. How would this "Chinese" child obtain a Chinese passport? Upon presenting the aforementioned US birth certificate to the embassy (or consulate) here in the US the gig's up, so to speak. Isn't this similar to the dilemma raised by Carl and answered?

I look at it this way. How would this "Chinese" child obtain a Chinese passport? Upon presenting the aforementioned US birth certificate to the embassy (or consulate) here in the US the gig's up, so to speak. Isn't this similar to the dilemma raised by Carl and answered?

An American born abroad would go to the nearest embassy/consulate and get his/her American passport. I would assume that an American-born Chinese citizen could do the same thing.

The American would get a "non-entry" certificate since his passport wouldn't show an entrance stamp. I'm sure the Chinese born in America could do the same thing, if needed.

This has been discussed also.

Regardless, Chinese Americans are still just Americans, right? So a Chinese American Child would have to provide a birth certificate to obtain a visa whereas a non Chinese American would not?

Regardless, Chinese Americans are still just Americans, right? So a Chinese American Child would have to provide a birth certificate to obtain a visa whereas a non Chinese American would not?

The passport shows the place of birth and usually suffices for this information, unless a birth certificate is specifically required. This has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the parents.

??

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

A child born in the US to a foreign national is a US citizen by birth, but the parents can apply for a passport for their child from their embassy, just like in China.

if born in the usa, then usa citizen, china does not recognize dual citizenship, jmho

If her parents are Chinese, they may choose either China or US. I believe if her parents choose Chinese, then the girl could at the age of 18 choose American.