China visa for new US citizen

Heres another question, our daughter was born while we were living in China. My wife was chinese at the time but I am american. my wife has since become a naturalized citizen a couple years ago. We had a birth abroad certificate issued by the consulate in China so my daughter was issued an american passport. She also has her original chinese birth certifcate. So does anybody know what we will need to do to get her a visa to go to china, if or when my wife ever decides to go back for a visit. She hasn't wanted to go yet even after being in the states for over 6 years now but if she does will our daughter have a problem getting a visa.

Gale

if born in the usa, then usa citizen, china does not recognize dual citizenship, jmho

If her parents are Chinese, they may choose either China or US. I believe if her parents choose Chinese, then the girl could at the age of 18 choose American.

Heres another question, our daughter was born while we were living in China. My wife was chinese at the time but I am american. my wife has since become a naturalized citizen a couple years ago. We had a birth abroad certificate issued by the consulate in China so my daughter was issued an american passport. She also has her original chinese birth certifcate. So does anybody know what we will need to do to get her a visa to go to china, if or when my wife ever decides to go back for a visit. She hasn't wanted to go yet even after being in the states for over 6 years now but if she does will our daughter have a problem getting a visa.

Gale

if born in the usa, then usa citizen, china does not recognize dual citizenship, jmho

If her parents are Chinese, they may choose either China or US. I believe if her parents choose Chinese, then the girl could at the age of 18 choose American.

She can get a visa to go to China, just like any other American citizen.

It may be possible (under age 18) to also get her a Chinese passport - maybe someone will know about this

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest Rob & Jin

Gale

She can get a visa to go to China, just like any other American citizen.

It may be possible (under age 18) to also get her a Chinese passport - maybe someone will know about this

my understanding on this Randy is that if the child (or adult) has a USA passport then they are a US citizen, China does not recognize duel citizenship . So they have in effect abandoned their chinese citizenship or chance of getting it in the future.

Unless of course they denounce their US citizenship.

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

Since your daughter was born in China and issued an American passport there she would have had to have had an exit visa from China. Since China doesn't recognize dual citizenship I assume it would have been notated then that she is an American citizen and would no longer have any claim to Chinese citizenship. My wife is a naturalized citizen and still has a valid Chinese passport. she could probably enter China on it fairly easily but wouldn't be allowed to leave without a green card or visa. Not a good idea. If she travels on her US passport she would have to send her Chinese passport in with the American passport in order to get the visa. The Chinese passport will be voided at that time.

Your daughter will need to get a visa to visit China just like any other American citizen.

my understanding on this Randy is that if the child (or adult) has a USA passport then they are a US citizen, China does not recognize duel citizenship . So they have in effect abandoned their chinese citizenship or chance of getting it in the future.

Unless of course they denounce their US citizenship.

I'm thinking here of a rule that they can choose which is their country of citizenship at age 18.

Now I don't know if this applies to China, or if it would allow them to have two passports if it did.

- edit - Okay here we go (Nope)

Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China

Article 5 Any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. But a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality.

Article 15 Nationality applications at home shall be handled by the public security bureaus of the municipalities or counties where the applicants reside; nationality applications abroad shall be handled by China's diplomatic representative agencies and consular offices.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

I am not sure this helps but for future reference, when I adopted my 13 year old daughter, she became eligible for US passport. I was also told when she goes back to china, they will punch a hole in her Chinese passport. I don¡¯t want there to be any question about her citizenship so I am filing a certificate of citizenship with Immigration so there will be no questions in the future.

Carl

Carl,

My wife has a form N-659 "Naturalization Interview Document Check List" for her citizenship interview that requires "All passports and travel documents (including expired and current) issued to you by any government"- the underlining of All is USCIS' doing.

Did Bing get to keep her Chinese PP? Did they punch a hole in it? Best of my (somewhat aged) recollection my ex-wife surrendered her Thai PP at her US Citizenship swearing in.

Richard

Edited by Chinese Wife!!! (see edit history)