China bans dog from Olympic menu

Guest WenDylan

I came across this today, China is trying awfully hard to be politically correct for everyone for the olympics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7501768.stm

They may ban dog meat, but I'm sure the new "special meat" on the menu is quite similar. Not to judge haste to one opinion or another. I think that I would recognize and acknowledge another culture's foods respectfully. If I don't want it, I won't eat it. If you come to America and you don't like something here, I'm not going to take it off the menu for you, just order something else. Two different sides of the world trying to match is just one big complicated mess to me. I say if you don't have the stomach for even seeing it on the menu, don't visit China.

Though, if I take it from the Chinese government stance, I would assume that by making the country more acceptable and comfortable to foreigners, it will increase the economy and money trade quite well. An increase in tourism in the long run, at some costs, may help out significantly in the people's behalf. But I am no expert.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I came across this today, China is trying awfully hard to be politically correct for everyone for the olympics.

They may ban dog meat, but I'm sure the new "special meat" on the menu is quite similar. Not to judge haste to one opinion or another. I think that I would recognize and acknowledge another culture's foods respectfully. If I don't want it, I won't eat it. If you come to America and you don't like something here, I'm not going to take it off the menu for you, just order something else. Two different sides of the world trying to match is just one big complicated mess to me. I say if you don't have the stomach for even seeing it on the menu, don't visit China.

Though, if I take it from the Chinese government stance, I would assume that by making the country more acceptable and comfortable to foreigners, it will increase the economy and money trade quite well. An increase in tourism in the long run, at some costs, may help out significantly in the people's behalf. But I am no expert.

I think you've got an excellent grasp on what's going on here. The people of China are very excited, not just for the tourist dollars that will come here, but for the chance to show the people of the world that they are a friendly people forming the cutting edge of the new world. It's rather interesting to see the extended effort to familiarize Chinese people with some rather annoying habits frequently seen in China. These include:

1. Pushing, shoving, and cutting in line

2. Hocking and spitting

3. Pan faces; lacking of welcome and goodbye greetings

4. Western and non-China humor

There is a huge void of the funny in China. Most Chinese have a great sense of humor and appreciate a joke. These Olympics can help bridge the huge cultural gap between the East and West. There is no doubt that China is better prepared for that than the rest of the world.

Guest WenDylan

I think you've got an excellent grasp on what's going on here. The people of China are very excited, not just for the tourist dollars that will come here, but for the chance to show the people of the world that they are a friendly people forming the cutting edge of the new world. It's rather interesting to see the extended effort to familiarize Chinese people with some rather annoying habits frequently seen in China. These include:

1. Pushing, shoving, and cutting in line

2. Hocking and spitting

3. Pan faces; lacking of welcome and goodbye greetings

4. Western and non-China humor

There is a huge void of the funny in China. Most Chinese have a great sense of humor and appreciate a joke. These Olympics can help bridge the huge cultural gap between the East and West. There is no doubt that China is better prepared for that than the rest of the world.

You know the world has gone insane if we had been celebrating the Tehran 2008 Olympics instead!

I see what you mean though. The habits are likely not to change, and the culture differences between us are far and vast. But there is an ocean between us! Anyone who truly wants to experience that culture will enjoy it. I think the only real culture shock issue is the language barrier. Any problem can be overcome with communication. But when you can't even communicate, any welcome, or unwelcome country is only in the eyes of the beholder.

I suppose to say that I didn't mind those things which I saw when I was there. It would be no different from here, just within a huge urban sprawl, as opposed to my country home. There were a few things that found odd, but in all reality, if you spend enough time in your home environment, when things go bad, or would be seen as offensive to others, you are so accustom to your home, you tend to look away. Those who are the visitors are going to be very judgmental, and there's no stopping that. No where is perfect, and to that I say, imperfection is perfection. I think that's what I like best about going somewhere that isn't my home. It isn't my home! :D

Oh for heaven sakes!

What next? Ban the consumption of fish (For those of you not acquainted - they are the lovely silver animals that remain under the surface of lakes and oceans without breathing).

China has an opportunity to demonstrate to the world a most efficient method for dealing with the tremendous waste we experience in the "enlightened" west. Every day we euthanize thousands of these creatures because we have not adequately addressed the need to spade and neuter these delicious animals. We then wantonly discard them in dumps and incinerators. We view this treatment of excess inventory as proper and cast a shameful glance at those that consume this flesh.

China has an opportunity to enlighten the west on opportunities we have overlooked. If we continue to ignore the proper treatment of God's creatures, perhaps we should follow China's example - not criticize them.

Don't even get me started on chicken feet and heads! :P

Guest WenDylan

Every day we euthanize thousands of these creatures because we have not adequately addressed the need to spade and neuter these delicious animals...

Yes! Good point. To most American's though... ignorance is bliss and they don't really think about it, unless they have too.

So, I have to give my hats off to a company that tried to adjust the American consumer to be more accepting of these ideas most people here would find strange. My only regret is that it didn't work, however they planned it to work... :lol:

http://www.upc-online.org/pics/mcd_chicken_head.jpg

Although this is old news now. The times have changed. Someone will try it again... :lol:

Every day we euthanize thousands of these creatures because we have not adequately addressed the need to spade and neuter these delicious animals...

Yes! Good point. To most American's though... ignorance is bliss and they don't really think about it, unless they have too.

So, I have to give my hats off to a company that tried to adjust the American consumer to be more accepting of these ideas most people here would find strange. My only regret is that it didn't work, however they planned it to work... :lol:

http://www.upc-online.org/pics/mcd_chicken_head.jpg

Although this is old news now. The times have changed. Someone will try it again... :lol:

Perhaps McD could begin to shape all their nuggets like heads and feet to desensitize children to these delicacies. :lol:

Guest WenDylan

Perhaps McD could begin to shape all their nuggets like heads and feet to desensitize children to these delicacies. :P

I would say this is a novel idea, but then we would definitely have an obesity epidemic. Everyone would fear American children, they will eat you alive!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/luffjess/FatMcDonaldsKid.jpg

Maybe you can cook dog to taste like chicken :toot: but i do not care how much you wash chicken feet,I wont eat them, I know what they grew up standing in :)

But i agree with what has been said before.China has a vast culture and experience for everyone. I love it there and as far as eating strange things, some areas of this country eat some wild stuff also.

Guest Mike and Lily

Maybe you can cook dog to taste like chicken :lol: but i do not care how much you wash chicken feet,I wont eat them, I know what they grew up standing in :toot:

But i agree with what has been said before.China has a vast culture and experience for everyone. I love it there and as far as eating strange things, some areas of this country eat some wild stuff also.

It doesn't bother me if they ban dog, as long as I can have my scorpions! :)

Ok Mike, now i have to know, what do scorpions taste like and please do not say chicken :toot:

I have seen them in the markets in China but never had the chance to have them.

I guess like the worm in a bottle of mescal, big ones chewy and small ones crunchy :)

I hate to see the politically correct crap infiltrating China.

I enjoy dog and cat meat. In fact, in the journals of Lewis and Clark you'll see that some members of their crew enjoyed dog meat more than elk.

I eat the coyote backstrap whenever I kill one; and cougar is delicious!

Guest Mike and Lily

Ok Mike, now i have to know, what do scorpions taste like and please do not say chicken :D

I have seen them in the markets in China but never had the chance to have them.

I guess like the worm in a bottle of mescal, big ones chewy and small ones crunchy :lol:

Actually, they don't taste like much. I had them deep fried. There's really not that much taste to them, but it does take some nerve to stick those evil looking creatures in your mouth.