China's growing weight problem

One in four Chinese 'Overweight'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7495330.stm

I had to post this link because I find it so hard to believe.

I didn't pay that close of attention, but during my trips to China it didn't seem like a quater of the people I saw were overwieght. I wish the article would have went more into the methodology of the survery used to arrive at their conclusions....

25% just seems so high

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mike and Lily

I didn't pay that close of attention, but during my trips to China it didn't seem like a quater of the people I saw were overwieght. I wish the article would have went more into the methodology of the survery used to arrive at their conclusions....

25% just seems so high

I agree. 25% seems way too high. It could be that the percentage of overweight people is unevenly distributed, as it is in the USA, but I doubt it.

Guest Tony n Terrific

25% just seems so high

I agree. 25% seems way too high. It could be that the percentage of overweight people is unevenly distributed, as it is in the USA, but I doubt it.

Mac Donalds, KFC and Western high fat foods. China is becoming a mobile society with the cars now. No bicycles or walking help add to those who indulge bulge.

It's coming, we all know it. The price of prosperity is having a 36" wide butt. :) Seriously, I see it (weight gain) among my many Chinese friends in the US who no longer walk long walks, walk up stairs etc and have the American lifestyle that really doesn't offer much alternatives to taking an elevator or driving a car.

As far as China goes, (where's the head scratchin' emoticon) dern, everyone is skinny. Even those with a full figure would be considered thin back in the US.

While we're at it, is it just me being in China or do the women here seem more feminine? Knee length girlie girl dresses everywhere. Just seems the ladies here really enjoy being a woman...

My neck is sore and it's late here... goodnight.

It's coming, we all know it. The price of prosperity is having a 36" wide butt. :) Seriously, I see it (weight gain) among my many Chinese friends in the US who no longer walk long walks, walk up stairs etc and have the American lifestyle that really doesn't offer much alternatives to taking an elevator or driving a car.

As far as China goes, (where's the head scratchin' emoticon) dern, everyone is skinny. Even those with a full figure would be considered thin back in the US.

While we're at it, is it just me being in China or do the women here seem more feminine? Knee length girlie girl dresses everywhere. Just seems the ladies here really enjoy being a woman...

My neck is sore and it's late here... goodnight.

Goodnight Dennis

I don't know about right now. That figure seems pretty high. But judging from what I saw in every single American fast food joint in China, they are no doubt on their way to joining us in our obesity. Every time we went into a McDonalds or KFC or the like, they were packed with KIDS. Not so many adults. I'm afraid those kids are developing the same bad eating habits that we essentially invented in this country.

If it continues it means more kids and adults with high cholesterol,diabetes,high blood pressure and heart disease among others. And the increased burden on society that goes along with those health problems. We're experts on that as well. :rolleyes:

The next time someone bitches about a tainted toy from China, they should consider the poison we've exported to them.

25% overweight?

Horsefeathers!

However, the Chinese are putting on weight as a group.

On my first trip here the people were tiny, now a good number of women are as tall as me. ...and it seems their waist size is competing with mine as well.

It's sad that my 9-year-old niece constantly craves KFC and Mickey D's. She would eat this trash everyday if she was allowed. She is so tainted by this gastronomical refuse that she's no longer partial to rice and veggies.

Guest WenDylan

The Chinese definition of overweight, and your definition of overweight is definitely two different things. :D

My lao po always tells me how she is overweight and she weighs maybe 92 lbs. :P When I tell her she isn't, it is no use arguing because she is always right, so I trust whatever she says. :rolleyes:

Just a little bit different standards there I assume, but again with all the KFC and McDonald's springing up over their, I would think that things will start to get dramatically different. Those places are always packed when I have been there, I could hardly ever find a seat, thus I didn't go very many times. :D

One thing I noticed is that a lot of nine and 10 year old kids there are now almost as tall as their adult moms. Jie's friends all have kids and it is interesting to me to just look at the dispairity between the sizes of the generations. Your dead on about the kids and the KFS's MickeyD's. Few parents, wall to wall kids, no tables free, and so expensive!

As to the fat thing? Comapred to the US certainly not, but by Chinese standards maybe. Jie is 5 nuthin' maybe 105, but her mom says she is fat! At one big New Years dinner there, Jie was sitting next to me, and her mom was on the other side of her, and the rest of the family squeezed in around the table. They were talking and I could see it looked to me like her mom was scolding her and I could see her mom nodding toward me while she was talking. I got worried because I thought I was doing something wrong. :D After they finished Jie looked at me and said "eat more slowly". (I was already finished by this point) I asked her why, and she said her mom scolded her because the "big american" already finished eating, and she was still eating (just picking really) and that she was getting fat! :rolleyes: Then she tells me again, "so you eat more slowly!" I guess that's one way to handle it! :D

Jeff

I knew it was a reality that the american fast food ("drug dealers") had set up shop in China and it still sickened me to see them. Ten horses couldn't drag me into one of those lil' shoppes of horror called Mickey Dees and KFC while I'm in China. And as I've stated before, my lil' rabbit almost puked when I showed her a Mickey Dees, as we entered a shopping mall (Gawd, I was happy to see her reaction when I showed her a shop filled with poison).

You can generally tell how long a Chinese woman has been in america by the size of her waist, and formerly small, but now large butt. :P

My hat is off to the Chinese women who don't give into the temptation to eat "american". :rolleyes: :D

I see one guy going on and on about all the delightful tubs of ice cream he now buys and the cakes. I think we'll soon read that he's buying 55 gallon drums of ice cream. :D I shudder to think.

If the Chinese government cared about it's youth it would make KFC and Mickey Dees off limits to the Chinese citizens and put armed guards in front of their doors. :cheering: Force the Chinese to immigrate to america if they want to eat high off the hog...so to speak.

And now I will attempt to step down from my double decker family pack box of KFC fried chicken, biscuits, and mashed tatters, go drink myself a SUPERSIZED coke, and drive 2 blocks over to see my cardiologist. :cheering:

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)