Chinese Cookbooks

On one of my trips to China I picked up a couple of Chinese cookbooks that were written in english.

1) "Chinese Home-Style Cooking" edited by Bai Ziran, Written by Wang Jinhuai & Xue Yuan (I REALLY REALLY like this book and if I could have only one it would be this one.)

2) "Learn to Cook Chinese Dishes Vegetable" - published by Foreign Languages Press and has a forward by Zhu Xijun (this is a great vegetable only book and is written in both Chinese and English)

I also found this book in the US at Barnes & Noble that I like but would find it difficult to use had I not had the 2 books mentioned above to practice on 1st

"The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook" by Gloria Bley Miller (this has sooooo many dishes in it and good sections on techniques and alternative ingredients)

I really like the chinese food website mentioned before

Another site you can try is

www.allrecipes.com

Not only good chinese recipes but also many other styles of cooking plus you can convert from english measure to metric

I tried the clone of a Cinnabon recipe and my Chinese students loved it

Have fun

Paul

From watching my wife who NEVER :

uses a recipe

measures or times anything

ALWAYS :

knows the cooking techniques for Chinese food

knows the ingredients, spices, sauces, etc

CAN MAKE 'SUMPIN DELICIOUS OUT O' NUTHIN...

Back in another life I did have that 10,000 recipe cookbook by GBM...Now I really woder if that was REAL Chinese food at all... :rolleyes:

A recipe site I really like is GroupRecipes.com.

As the name would imply it's basically a networking site comprised of many interrelated food groups. For example the Chinese group has 37 members and 86 recipes at the moment.

I've found the site particularly good for traditional international food, for example they have some great Middle Eastern recipes. Then they also have content oriented groups such as Garlic Lovers, Pasta Place, Pork to Go, etc.

One additional feature is you can enter the ingredients you have around the kitchen and they have an engine that will suggest recipes. It also tracks your views, ratings, and preferences and attempts to estimate what recipes you'd like.

Check it out if you like to cook.

From watching my wife who NEVER :

uses a recipe

measures or times anything

ALWAYS :

knows the cooking techniques for Chinese food

knows the ingredients, spices, sauces, etc

CAN MAKE 'SUMPIN DELICIOUS OUT O' NUTHIN...

Back in another life I did have that 10,000 recipe cookbook by GBM...Now I really woder if that was REAL Chinese food at all... :threeques:

LOL! My wife is the same way, never measures anything. I can't imagine how she can do it but I'm sure it has something to do with experience ;)