Reply from Guangzhou II

Well, at long last, Daoqun went to the post office today (after we checked the tracking on EMS) and she actually received her visa! You know we are really relieved, and I am pretty certain some of you, at least, had more than just a passing interest in the outcome.

We filed our DCF on August 29, 2007, had our interview on February 20, 2008 (with a blue card for a result), submitted the additional material they requested in early March, received a "Call in Letter" the third week of May, 2008, and were sent to the post office any number of times, always returning empty-handed, and were finally told to return to the Consulate for finger printing three days ago.

Today it finally, actually, came. It's a colorful little thing! Whew!

So, the visa took just about ten months, start-to-finish, which is not long by non-DCF filings, but definitely on the long side for the direct route. My previous marriage to a different Chinese woman was surely the hang up.

But we persisted and were ultimately given the visa. So . . . hang in there. Dog them. They may still deny some who dog them, but not many.

Our heartfelt thanks to all of you who directly and continuously gave us support (you know who you are!), and also to all of you who wished us the best from the peanut gallery. How lonely and lost we would have felt without the Candleforlove.

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)

Wally...I am so happy for you two. It's great to see couples get the visa and start their dreams...but bubba.....it is REALLY SA-WEEEEEET to see couples that have been in the land of the REAL wait to finally get their visa!!!!

Damn, I'm THRILLED for you and Daoqun.

Ol' Chawles and Charles will be next!!!! Bring em' home southern boys.

tsap seui

CONGRATULATIONS on this great news !!!! :D :D

Yes, living in Guangzhou, does have it advantages, a lot of them !!! ;)

Best wishes to you both and get out of Dodge City fast !!!

The airline ticket quotes are going up fast daily !!!

Congratulations, to you both! Excellent news...and thank you for sharing the ordeal!

And thanks for your well-wishing.

I was thinking about what someone said about it: that we "fought the good fight (and won)" and felt a few comments on that vein were worthwhile and might be useful.

What is "fighting the good fight" in terms of a visa? In my view it is at least two things: getting your ducks in a row (doing all the paperwork and other required stuff) and also remaining calm and composed in the face of the inevitable delays, obfuscations, chain-yanking, humiliations and such.

The paperwork stuff is usually accomplished easily enough, especially with help from the many knowledgeable folks on the Candle. But it's that other part that causes all the problems.

Learning to be calm and moderate when dealing with the Consol at GUZ is essential: they have all the power and they hold all the cards. It is pointless (and counter-productive) to mouth off to them or to be anything but rational and professional (oh!, if only they were, too). So angry letters or outbursts are out, except in really rare circumstances when the interviewer is really off base).

So, learning to relax and take one day at a time is so important. Do all the venting you want, but do it on the Candle so you can get supporters to cheer you on and bolster your justified rage. That is a very important, but often not well-recognized function of the Candle. It's a sort of padded cell where we who have been driven crazy by the moron bureaucrats can rave and slam ourselves against the soft cyber walls.

Every person just starting the process ("First Steps" people) should be aware of that: that they will inevitably be rebuffed, delayed and frustrated at some (if not all) of the stages of getting a visa for a loved one, and they need to learn that all that delay and frustration

is part and parcel of dealing with the US government that is represented in Guangzhou.

So, the lesson from today (and from every day) is fill in everything they ask for (no more), pay the fees, remain respectful and composed at all time, and let it all vent here on the Candle. And wait . . .