The patience to wait for the world to understand China...

http://www.bjreview.com/expert/txt/2008-04...tent_110746.htm

A very interesting view of recent events by the Chinese Ambassador to the UK... :lol:

A well written and thought out post.

I ask why, many times as well.

Why must western people demand that other countries conform to their idea of life?

Why must the freedom some western countries have, be "the" correct way? There are some things that should not be said in my opinion.

So many other "why"s...

I wish for the day that the world not only understand China, but realize that the do have "5,000 years of wisdom" :) and perhaps we should understand, and embrace some of their ideas.

http://www.bjreview.com/expert/txt/2008-04...tent_110746.htm

A very interesting view of recent events by the Chinese Ambassador to the UK... :huh:

A well written and thought out post.

I ask why, many times as well.

Why must western people demand that other countries conform to their idea of life?

Why must the freedom some western countries have, be "the" correct way? There are some things that should not be said in my opinion.

So many other "why"s...

I wish for the day that the world not only understand China, but realize that the do have "5,000 years of wisdom" :D and perhaps we should understand, and embrace some of their ideas.

The "5,000 Years of Wisdom" myth is lame.

However, I do agree with the general premise that other countries do not really understand China. It's generally very easy for the ignorant to extrapolate their views of how the world should be on countries -- such as China -- with very unique problems of its own.

I guess that depends on your definition of "wisdom","myth" and "lame."

Is it a myth that China has been around in one form or another for 5000 years? Is it a myth that during those 5000 years they've accumulated a certain,even vast amount of wisdom? Unless you're sitting in a cave and you're blind,deaf and dumb, you're accumulating some kind of wisdom no? Now not every bit of that wisdom may rise to the level of what some consider to be "useful" wisdom. But it's wisdom nonetheless.

wisdom

n.

1. The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight.

2. Common sense; good judgment:

3. a. The sum of learning through the ages; knowledge:

b. Wise teachings of the ancient sages.

As for being "lame"? What's lame? Suggesting that other people/cultures/governments could learn from that 5000 years of accumulated "wisdom"? Or that we/they could even emrace SOME of it? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Is it a myth that China has been around in one form or another for 5000 years? Is it a myth that during those 5000 years they've accumulated a certain,even vast amount of wisdom? Unless you're sitting in a cave and you're blind,deaf and dumb, you're accumulating some kind of wisdom no? Now not every bit of that wisdom may rise to the level of what some consider to be "useful" wisdom. But it's wisdom nonetheless.

wisdom

n.

As for being "lame"? What's lame? Suggesting that other people/cultures/governments could learn from that 5000 years of accumulated "wisdom"? Or that we/they could even emrace SOME of it? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

If you look at the insanities of Mao's "Great Leap Forward" and the Cultural Revolution it would be difficult to make the arguement for your "wisdom" definitions Dave... :unsure:

wisdom

n.

If you look at the insanities of Mao's "Great Leap Forward" and the Cultural Revolution it would be difficult to make the arguement for your "wisdom" definitions Dave... :unsure:

I agree for sure Rog. There are multiple definitions. I included more than just the one,3a, which made my point. They don't all apply to China all throughout it's history,but I think 3a does. They do have a large sum of knowledge from learning through the ages no?

Some of it is wise and shows common sense/good judgement etc, and some of it doesn't. ;)

wisdom

n.

There are civilizations that have been around much longer than 5,000 years. With your logic, China will have to wait in line for another 6,000 years to become the world's sage.

wisdom

n.

There are civilizations that have been around much longer than 5,000 years. With your logic, China will have to wait in line for another 6,000 years to become the world's sage.

Saying China should be viewed as the world's sage would be a silly thing to say if I'd said it. I didn't say that at all. And neither did the post your myth/lame comment referred to. I was just pointing out,and I'd bet he was too, that with 5000 years of history there just may be something others can learn from them.

And that's why I qualified my comments with words like "could" and "some" and "certain" instead of making a declaration like: "The "5,000 Years of Wisdom" myth is lame." Do you really think there's NOTHING anyone can learn from China's accumulated wisdom? Do you really think their wisdom is mythical?

wisdom

n.

Could it get any lamer? :roll:

By your definition, not a country on the planet has wisdom we could learn from.

wisdom

n.

Could it get any lamer? :roll:

By your definition, not a country on the planet has wisdom we could learn from.

First of all, it's not my definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wisdom

Second of all,are you reading another thread and then commenting here? Because your comments make NO sense based on what I've written. I'll spell it out. China, and EVERY OTHER COUNTRY on the planet has accumulated a certain amount of wisdom just by virtue of the fact that they've been around for however long they've been around.

We/others can learn SOMETHING from ANY country based on the fact that each country's history/culture is different from our own. The point I think credzba was trying to make was that since China has FIVE THOUSAND YEARS OF HISTORY maybe,just maybe, we could learn a little something from their accumulated knowledge. Neither he nor I claimed that ALL of that learning or knowledge is useful. Roger pointed out the folly in someone making that claim, and we weren't trying to.

You said: "The "5,000 Years of Wisdom" myth is lame." I took issue with that for the reasons I've explained a couple of times now. Care to elaborate on why it's a myth and why citing it in the context credzba did is "lame"?

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)