Arriving in the US...

Hi All,

Now that I've brought my SO over, I was searching for the next step or process in filing docs. Is there a kitchen sink for this process? Do we go get married first or wait a while? So many questions yet, I'm not sure what would be the best way to go. Any help appreciated.

thanks

Hi All,

Now that I've brought my SO over, I was searching for the next step or process in filing docs. Is there a kitchen sink for this process? Do we go get married first or wait a while? So many questions yet, I'm not sure what would be the best way to go. Any help appreciated.

thanks

http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...ndex_New2.html#

http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_AOS_Final1.htm

There is a lot to read here. You have 90 days to get married after arrival in the US. Or let us put it this way It is best if you get married within 90 days of going through the point of entry. You have a chance while obtaining the marriage certificate to decide upon what named to use. Get more than one marriage certificate 3 is often desirable. This was obtained at the town clerks office in my case.Tell them you need to send it to a government agency . You will need both birth certificates one for each of you while obtaining the marriage certificate. At least I was asked for both. If you have not had all the shots you need while in china you will need to start the series before the AOS is submitted. MMR and TD and varciella. For varciella my wife had a blood test as it was cheaper than getting the shot. The first set is all that is needed to submit the AOS papers. You will need proof of a valid marriage. Co-mingling of assets (difficult without a SS number)Letters sent to both of you at the same residence. Phone bill with both names on the bill is about the easiest to do. Try to get a SS number. Sometimes hard to do you may need to go to more than one SS office . Get photos of the two of you together (and with family). At the marriage service and if you go on honeymoon. Keep plane tickets and stubs to show you traveled together. Even if you have a weekend get away. You never know what is asked for.

Thanks for the link. Is there a certain order that we should be filing some of the forms? I've already taken her to apply for her SS number yesterday. I need to get her a state ID, but I think she's forgotten to get a birth cert.

thanks.

State ID: she needs passport and her marriage licence for new name and mabye the EAD card from the AOS filling. It depends upon the time in US. Plus, some way to prove her address. Maybe the SS card will show address. If you bring the whole piece before you cut the card out of the bigger piece of paper.

Lee Fisher gave me what sounds like a smart move to help prove Ping and Cici's address in the United States. He suggested that I mail them a post card addressed to them at our home address, and then keep the cards with the postmark on them after they arrive.

I took it a step further and mailed letters to them at our home address using envelopes with my law firm's return address. That should do the trick. :(

First thing to do is get married. After that I would go to the Social Security office and apply for a SSN. This is the easiest way to change her name. Take a cerified copy of your marriage licence with you. Folks at the SSA often are confused by K-1 visas. They may say she isn't eligible without an EAD or green card. They may tell you she can't get a SSN in her married name. (odd that American women do it all the time with less documentation) We had no problem here in Portland but another couple we know went to the same office and were told they could only do it in her maiden name. Depending on the laws of your state the next stop will be the DMV to get a state ID. After that go to the bank and add her to your bank accounts. This will help establish proof that you are a bonafide couple for your AOS. Next stop is the Civil Surgeon to get an 1-693 supplimental for vaccinations. If you got them in China take the little yellow book and have the CS sign off on them. If you didn't get them in China the CS can do it or in many cases a local county health clinic can get them for you cheaper. If you have her on your company health plan they might pay for them. Next you gather up all your papers and file for AOS. The fee for EAD I-765 is included if you file it with the I-485.

Good luck

Carl, this isn't my thread but your post here is very helpful. I just copied and pasted it into a Word document so I could save it and refer to it as I need it. I also printed the pertinent forms that you referenced so we can fill them out and begin this process right after our wedding on June 19.

What was once just a buzz of words about what to do after Ping and Cici got here is now vitally important information, so thanks.

Just a thought, file I-131 and G-28 also. Not that you want the early parole, but seems like you might get biometrics faster and there is no charge. G-28 will get you 2 sets of I-797Cs at the same address.

congratulations! toplaw!

I just noticed that you have got the visa and your both came back to Houston now!!

Congratulations to your wedding too!