China Earthquake

Griz - I haven't seen anything kick in on the Federal Side.

But - I note there was a tv news blurb about the Chinese Civic Center in Houston taking donations, both money and goods, this week.

It hasn't made it into their website, over at http://www.chineseciviccenter.org/index.asp

but I really think most 'aid-collected-in-USA' will solely be from private organizations with prior links to China.

Do you have such an organization in yer area? Give em a call, ask if they know any NPO that is taking donations ?

I read just after the quake that the US has offered aid in the tune of a half million dollars. China does not want personnel but they are taking donations from other countries.

They also said that the half million was only the start and as the need is better known more money will be given. I heard that response right after the quake annoncement. Plus, I heard Bush express his sorrow and prays for the victims.

I read just after the quake that the US has offered aid in the tune of a half million dollars. China does not want personnel but they are taking donations from other countries.

They also said that the half million was only the start and as the need is better known more money will be given. I heard that response right after the quake annoncement. Plus, I heard Bush express his sorrow and prays for the victims.

yes this is exactly what I read as well. Now where is the oil rich Saudi nation??????

Did I miss it?

Any other country would have had an offer of USA aide and assistance by now....

Why hasn't the President at least said, "If there is any way that we can help in this tragedy, we will be honored to help."

Ya know, politics aside, the man was fast to offer condolences and aid, personally on the phone with Hu Jintao. :lol:

Bush offers Chinese leader earthquake aid

May 12, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush has spoken by phone with Chinese President Hu Jintao on the powerful earthquake that hit central China.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said the president expressed his condolences on the thousands of deaths in the quake and offered to assist where possible. She said the U.S. is offering an initial $500,000 in earthquake relief in anticipation of an appeal by the International Red Cross.

"I extend my condolences to those injured and to the families of the victims of today's earthquake in China's Sichuan province," U.S. President George W. Bush said in a statement. "I am particularly saddened by the number of students and children affected by this tragedy. The thoughts and prayers of the American people are with the Chinese people, especially those directly affected. The United States stands ready to help in any way possible", Bush said.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Did I miss it?

Why hasn't the President at least said, "If there is any way that we can help in this tragedy, we will be honored to help."

Ya know, politics aside, the man was fast to offer condolences and aid, personally on the phone with Hu Jintao. :lol:

April 12, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) ¡ª President Bush has spoken by phone with Chinese President Hu Jintao on the powerful earthquake that hit central China.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said the president expressed his condolences on the thousands of deaths in the quake and offered to assist where possible. She said the U.S. is offering an initial $500,000 in earthquake relief in anticipation of an appeal by the International Red Cross.

"I extend my condolences to those injured and to the families of the victims of today's earthquake in China's Sichuan province," U.S. President George W. Bush said in a statement. "I am particularly saddened by the number of students and children affected by this tragedy. The thoughts and prayers of the American people are with the Chinese people, especially those directly affected. The United States stands ready to help in any way possible", Bush said.

Who could EVER doubt the USA in times like these!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I miss it?

April 12, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) ¡ª President Bush has spoken by phone with Chinese President Hu Jintao on the powerful earthquake that hit central China.

Who could EVER doubt the USA in times like these!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Charles !! :o

Guest Mike and Lily

Did I miss it?

April 12, 2008

What was the date of this article? April 12???

Did I miss it?

April 12, 2008

What was the date of this article? April 12???

It was May and it has been changed. It was a typo, as I am really confused now as to the sequence of the months, these days !! :o

i know the USA has offered assistance to the tune of a half million dollars...really a pittance in comparison to the needs there....especially in comparison to what we have spent on the homeland security issues and the two conflicts we are currently engaged in since 9-11...and i am also aware that China does not want our people there to physically assist them.....i know the Chinese people are a proud people...and deservingly so....and they also know that all the eyes of the world are apon them at this dire time, and i think they are really dealing quite well with handling the situation....besides that, they already have most of our money there now....why do we need to send more when we cannot even afford to help our own people at home? (dont want to get into this as it is a whole other issue that i do not care to discuss)

i know the USA has offered assistance to the tune of a half million dollars...really a pittance in comparison to the needs there....especially in comparison to what we have spent on the homeland security issues and the two conflicts we are currently engaged in since 9-11...and i am also aware that China does not want our people there to physically assist them.....i know the Chinese people are a proud people...and deservingly so....and they also know that all the eyes of the world are apon them at this dire time, and i think they are really dealing quite well with handling the situation....besides that, they already have most of our money there now....why do we need to send more when we cannot even afford to help our own people at home? (dont want to get into this as it is a whole other issue that i do not care to discuss)

I understand your view Steve; :lol: I think the issue here was primarily the thoughts and public expression of sincere sympathy from America, for the Chinese people. I think the President's words made that point.

As we know, China is one of the wealthiest nations on Earth today, and they have tremedous resources both in material and personnel.

Hey, if we sent them tents, cots and blankets, they would all most likely have "made in China" imprinted on them !!! :lol:

My wife told me this morning, that within China, individuals and companies are donating Yuan to the earthquake relief effort quite heavily !!

She was proud to inform me she went to the bank early yesterday and sent a donation to the Chinese Red Cross. :)

Soon now Steve !!!! :)

Did I miss it?

Ya know, politics aside, the man was fast to offer condolences and aid, personally on the phone with Hu Jintao. :)

May 12, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush has spoken by phone with Chinese President Hu Jintao on the powerful earthquake that hit central China.

You won't hear me say this too often but I think Bush has played it just right so far. He talked on the phone with Hu fairly quickly after the quake and made the initial offer of money and whatever aid was needed.

There's really not a lot our government can do right now beyond that. It's not like China's gonna allow us to send military helicopters or troops in to help with the rescue efforts. And they're certainly not gonna being asking for us to send our disaster logistics experts.

Even if we wanted to donate a bunch of money right now it wouldn't really have an actual impact on events on the ground. The Chinese gov't isn't lacking for the cash to provide the needed supplies and the transportation to get those supplies and troops where they need to be. They can only do that as fast as the conditions allow,which right now isn't very fast because of the rain and the impassable roads etc.

Time is not on the side of the people who are trapped under the rubble in all those villages. The biggest problem for the gov't now IMHO is to prevent another catastrophe happening to the people who managed to survive. Getting them food,clean drinking water and shelter etc.