Sichuan Earthquake: How to Donate

http://time-blog.com/china_blog/

Posted by Simon Elegant | Comments (26) | Permalink | Trackbacks (0) | Email This

Reader Nianqingri suggests posting information about how to donate. This comes courtesy of the shanghaiist website:

"For those who are looking to contribute to current aid efforts underway, you can now donate money to the Red Cross Society of China which has formed a disaster relief working group to be dispatched to the earthquake-stricken Wenchuan County in Sichuan.

They have also published an emergency relief hotline, along with bank account information to receive donations to assist their cause:

Account name: Red Cross Society of China

¿ª»§µ¥Î»£ºÖйúºìÊ®×Ö»á×Ü»á

For those who want to donate in RMB: you can send money to the RMB account at the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China branch below:

ÈËÃñ±Ò¿ª»§ÐÐ: Öйú¹¤ÉÌÒøÐÐ ±±¾©·ÖÐж«ËÄÄÏÖ§ÐÐ

ÈËÃñ±ÒÕ˺Å: 0200001009014413252

For those who want to donate in foreign currency, you can send money to the foreign currency account at the CITIC Bank branch below:

Íâ±Ò¿ª»§ÐУºÖÐÐÅÒøÐоÆÏÉÇÅÖ§ÐÐ

Íâ±ÒÕ˺Å: 7112111482600000209

Hotline: (8610) 65139999

Online donations: Red Cross Society of China website: www.redcross.org.cn

Click the tab for online donations "

I just hope that the Red Cross in China has a much better track record than the Red Cross in the USA. I'd hate to donate money and see it stolen, squandered or misplaced.

I agree Bill. But so far I haven't seen any other places to donate that will go directly to China. Maybe some will pop up somewhere and can be linked here.

My wife has expressed her need to donate money to help her fellow country people. This is quite understandable. I am not sure what percent actually filters down to those in need with the Red Cross. Too many organizations seem to keep a large percentage for themselves. I know for a fact that with Mercy Corps, they make sure 92% of all donations reach the intended victims. They pride themselves with only needing 8% for administrative purposes. So, we will donate some through Red Cross and some through Mercy Corps.

My wife has expressed her need to donate money to help her fellow country people. This is quite understandable. I am not sure what percent actually filters down to those in need with the Red Cross. Too many organizations seem to keep a large percentage for themselves. I know for a fact that with Mercy Corps, they make sure 92% of all donations reach the intended victims. They pride themselves with only needing 8% for administrative purposes. So, we will donate some through Red Cross and some through Mercy Corps.

Thanks for the Mercy Corps as another option to give.

One of my co-workers sent out this e-mail

Dear all,

As most of you have heard of, there was a massive, 7.9-magnitude earthquake in China on 5/12/08, with 15,000 deaths and much more injured. Thousands are still trapped. Even though the weather is still severe and the roads were all destroyed, Chinese are making every effort to save lives. More news about China earthquake http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=ch...=1&ct=title

I have made some donation for supporting the people there and hereby sincerely ask for your kind donation through a non-profit charity organization MercyCorps: http://www.mercycorps.org/chinaearthquake/ The process is fast and easy. Receipt will be generated immediately. If you donate, please do not forget to save one copy of receipt for tax deduction purpose

Thanks for your kindness and love! Please forward to your family and friends for help too.

Mercy Corps, through its local partner China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation (CFPA), is mounting an emergency response for survivors. Together, we are procuring critical supplies such as food, water, clothing and shelter supplies to rush to affected families. We have deployed two experienced staff members from our Beijing office to help coordinate efforts.

"CFPA wants to work hand-in-hand with Mercy Corps," explained Kate Janis, Mercy Corps' Senior Program Officer, currently on the ground in Sichuan's capital, Chengdu. "They want to have us alongside them all the way."

I'm with Jim_Julian on this one - China has VAST cash reserves at its disposal, and the military have been shunted into instant relief workers. I view the Chinese government as the QUICKEST enabler to help everyone, I also feel it's in it's best interest to do so.

Of course, that doesn't mitigate any of the raw emotions I've been feeling (or anyone else's, for that matter) about this situation.

I just pray that the level of incompetency with USA's FEMA wasn't a point of 'governmental interchange' and the Chinese Goverment Workers had no training from the USA.

FWIW, my wife did donate $$$ today, as well as a pint o blood.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Public buildings like schools and hospitals collapsed cuz it's "beancurd project" (dou fu zha gong cheng). It's not strange in China that builders bribed officials involved so these public buildings are of poor quality.

Public buildings like schools and hospitals collapsed cuz it's "beancurd project" (dou fu zha gong cheng). It's not strange in China that builders bribed officials involved so these public buildings are of poor quality.

Excellent ! Hopefully, these will be exposed in the next few weeks.