Sichuan Earthquake: How to Donate

I read a very interesting article today. China has asked for outside assistance for the first time. Both for expert personell in disaster search and rescue as well as heavy equipment. They have asked only Tiawan and Japan to assist. Very interesting political move. It also makes logistical sense.

While I understand and generally agree with Jim J on this, I did contribute to the Red Cross. Money from government often flows too slowly to the people in need. We've seen it in this country, often followed by an abundance of money coming in after the critical need had past.

Even if we presume long term good intent, the need is now, not in the time frame of a bureaucracy.

My wife wants to donate some money but she wants it to go to feeding children. One idea I had would be to find an orphanage in the area that was hit and urgently needs assistance. If any of you have contacts in the area that could give us a line that direction let me know.

My wife wants to donate some money but she wants it to go to feeding children. One idea I had would be to find an orphanage in the area that was hit and urgently needs assistance. If any of you have contacts in the area that could give us a line that direction let me know.

Sisters in GZ are talking about adopting an orphaned,

Have any details?

Have any details?

I'll have to find out more as I just learned of this yesterday.

I just found this news link; this may be what the sisters are talking about.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-05/...ent_8195722.htm

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

Public buildings like schools and hospitals collapsed cuz it's "beancurd project" (dou fu zha gong cheng). It's not strange in China that builders bribed officials involved so these public buildings are of poor quality.

There are rumors floating around that I heard from some people in China that two building contractors have already been executed and the search is on for another dozen or so. I'm sure some local officals in these areas need to worry about their hatracks, as well.

Sounds about right. Things like that usually do happen in times like this.