What name to use on airline ticket?

We ran into a problem which the airline agent was not willing to advise. Jen will be going to see her parents at the end of this month and we don't know which last name to use on the ticket, the married name which is on her Green Card or her maiden name which is on her Chinese passport. I'm leaning toward the name on the passport but hoping to like get some advice.

By the way, Air Canada has a great price, Jen's ticket was $790 and our 3 year son's was $641 from Vegas to Shanghai. But the travel window is small for the good price. Basically leave by May 30 and return by June 25. Later and the price starts jumping real quick.

We ran into a problem which the airline agent was not willing to advise. Jen will be going to see her parents at the end of this month and we don't know which last name to use on the ticket, the married name which is on her Green Card or her maiden name which is on her Chinese passport. I'm leaning toward the name on the passport but hoping to like get some advice.

By the way, Air Canada has a great price, Jen's ticket was $790 and our 3 year son's was $641 from Vegas to Shanghai. But the travel window is small for the good price. Basically leave by May 30 and return by June 25. Later and the price starts jumping real quick.

The name on the ticket should match the name on her passport. :)

The only way to use her new last name would be to have a entry made in the passport on an observations page. It would read,

"The name of the bearer of this passport is also spelled xxxxxxx".

You would go to your Chinese Consulate to have this done.

Guest Rob & Jin

And for re-entry the name on her passport should match her green-card, I was asked on many occasions to show it at POE.

Tom - make sure the name on the ticket matches the name on the passport.

If you want to get her name changed in her passport, you can get that done at a China Consulate in the USA (they just put in an addendum) or get it done at the passport office in China (they just put in an addendum) . - but for this trip? with the short time window? i wouldn't worry about it it much, this trip - just get the tickets and go.

again - tickets match passport name.

We have also reentered without the passport and GC names matching.

So did we. I don't believe it's a requirement. Just have a copy of the marriage certificate ready in case.

Ditto--the GC and passport names do not have to match-just bring the marriage cert to show why.

The tickets need to match the passport.

Thanks for the responses. Jen got the ticket with the name matching the passport. She'll bring our marriage certificate with her just in case. Looking back we should have gotten the name changed on her passport but just never thought about it. But after this trip she should not need to as we will submit her citizenship application before she leaves. Wahoooo! We can't wait to be finished dealing with USCIS! :rolleyes: