Hakka houses of Fujian...

GREAT thread, Rog. I want to see the 'round houses' SOOOO much! My Lovely Hakka Bride has promised to take me next time I'm there, even though she has an aversion to 'the countryside'. I've actually been considering a miniature version here in the States when I build my house. My nephew tells me we could come close to duplicating the design with ICF (insulated concrete forms). I think it would be cool; Lao Po thinks I'm a frickin' NUT. I can't help it, I like 'em.

Hakka resturants are very popular in Taiwan right now. I have been to one near Hsinchu - the science park. The tables are all rough hewed wood plank. The food is mostly boiled veg and meats. I liked it; tehy reminded me of the my grand parents old mountain homes.

Hakka resturants are very popular in Taiwan right now. I have been to one near Hsinchu - the science park. The tables are all rough hewed wood plank. The food is mostly boiled veg and meats. I liked it; tehy reminded me of the my grand parents old mountain homes.

Don, just as an aside, I've read that both the northernmost and southernmost private businesses in the world are Hakka owned restaurants. My wife speaks Hakka fluently as it's her native tongue. It is so cool to hear it and I want to learn. It's almost lyrical, melodious in nature. I've made her promise to teach our child (hopefully we'll have one) Hakka. I really want her to maintain the cultural ties.

Hakka sounds a little closer to Cantonese than Mandarin, but there is a theory that it pre-dates either of those languages. Seems some very old songs from ancient China only rhyme when sung in Hakka. Some consider the language to be a dialect, but I think most scholars consider it to be a language (at least most HAKKA scholars consider it so). I know that my Wife and her sister can converse in Hakka and neither Cantonese speakers nor Mandarin speakers have a clue what they are talking about. I often ask to have English words translated into all three.

Great that we have Mikes... :D with Hakka wives... :D

Here is a little more in-depth look at the houses and their history and further links to other Hakka stuff... :V:

http://www.asiawind.com/hakka/houses.htm

Good stuff, Rog. Asiawind is a great site. I'm about to take back all the bad things I've ever said about you!! ;)

I was very interested in Hakka before I knew my Wife IS Hakka. First time we met I asked her a question about it and was astounded to find out her heritage. She was surprised I'd ever heard of it.

She's trying to make me Hakka now, a little at a time.