Death, Dying, And Loss

I don't know the answer to this question, but I would think Chinese hurt and grieve just as we do. ;)

I was in Ghuanzhou the other day and the taxi driver stopped, because he said a funeral procession was going past.

Basically, what I saw was a large group of people waking in the street and many fireworks were going off. I didn't see a coffin though. I beleive the Chinese cremate more than we here in the states, at least that is what my wife told me once.

How does China, as a society view, handle, grieve, etc. death, dying, and loss?

Much better than we do. ;)

Wow... tell us more!! :(

Well, for one thing the vast majority aren't burdened with fretting about whether they or their dearly departed loved ones led "good enough" lives (as defined for them by someone else) to get into that someone else's version of "heaven".

My impression is they have a much more practical approach to death and the dying. Mostly they see it for what it is, a natural part of the cycle of life.

And I don't think they spend thousands of dollars on gawdy,over-priced caskets/funerals just to stick that bronze-covered,satin lined box six feet into the ground. ;)

Geeze Dave ... how do you really feel ... :lol:

And I thought I was being diplomatic. :D

maybe.. but I think being diplomatic or practical means different things to different people, just like dying means different things in different cultures / people. IMO :)

Very true. :D

Ask your Mrs. if she is here how her family handled her leaving and you will know the answer!! They pay respect, honor the family and then move on.

When we put my Father to rest my Mom and I felt like we were buying a car at a lot instead of paying respect to him?? My Mother then pre-paid her entire funeral so we could enjoy her life and all who paid respects!! :) :lol:

Seems we Americans spend time preparing our lives for eternal sleep. Funeral arrangements, life insurance, wills and burial plots. Whenever I mention any topic on death and dying, lao po quickly interjects and tells me not to talk about these things. I try to reiterate that it is important to be prepared in the event of my demise, but she still insists this a moot topic, and we should only think of living a good life. I agree to a certain point, but I also want her to understand that she's not going to be helpless in the event.

Seems we Americans spend time preparing our lives for eternal sleep. Funeral arrangements, life insurance, wills and burial plots. Whenever I mention any topic on death and dying, lao po quickly interjects and tells me not to talk about these things. I try to reiterate that it is important to be prepared in the event of my demise, but she still insists this a moot topic, and we should only think of living a good life. I agree to a certain point, but I also want her to understand that she's not going to be helpless in the event.

Do you think there is an element of denial in this? I'm just curious. The topic of death doesn't come up with us. When I engage in 'black humor', Lao Po scolds me and tells me we will be together forever (I happen to agree).

Interesting topic.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Death is a tough thing to deal with. It is the final chapter of mortal life.

Both of my parents have passed away and they both live a very long life at 88 and 89.

I think unexpected sudden death would be the hardest to take IMHO.

Do you think there is an element of denial in this? I'm just curious. The topic of death doesn't come up with us. When I engage in 'black humor', Lao Po scolds me and tells me we will be together forever (I happen to agree).

Interesting topic.

You both bring up interesting points. I wonder if this isn't a case where, for a change, we USCs are actually thinking in practical terms (be prepared etc) while our Chinese mates aren't (unlucky to talk about it etc). That would be a twist wouldn't it? :(

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)