"Chinese goons"

I hope they win! :ph34r:

From Fox news:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352402,00.html

A Chinese primary school teacher and a beautician have filed a suit against CNN in New York over remarks they say insulted the Chinese people.

They want $1.37 billion in compensation - $1.06 per person in China, a Hong Kong newspaper reports.

The case against the Atlanta-based cable channel, its parent company Turner Broadcasting and Jack Cafferty, the offending commentator, comes after 14 lawyers launched a similar suit in Beijing alleging that Cafferty's remarks earlier this month violated the dignity and reputation of the Chinese people.

Cafferty said the United States imported Chinese-made "junk with the lead paint on them and the poisoned pet food".

He added: "They're basically the same bunch of goons and thugs they've been for the last 50 years".

CNN said Cafferty was expressing an opinion about the Chinese Government, but the Foreign Ministry demanded an apology and accused the network of trying to drive a wedge between the Chinese people and leadership.

The lawsuits come amid a wave of criticism in China against Western news outlets in the wake of recent unrest in Tibet and disruptions to the Beijing Olympic torch relay abroad.

In New York, Liang Shubing, the beautician, and Li Lilan, a Beijing-based primary school instructor, claimed Cafferty's words insulted all Chinese people and "intentionally caused mental harm" to the plaintiffs, the Ta Kung Pao newspaper reported today.

Six lawyers were handling the case for Ms Liang and Ms Li, it said.

"The $1.3 billion averages out to $1 per Chinese person, so it isn't much," the newspaper quoted a lawyer as saying.

Asked if China supported the action against CNN, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu characterised it as "spontaneous activity by Chinese civilians".

"We will wait and see CNN's response," Jiang told a news conference, referring to the Foreign Ministry's request for a full apology.

"We hope CNN will take this seriously, because what CNN said and did has not only hurt China's feelings, but also CNN's own image."

I hope they win! :victory:

From Fox news:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352402,00.html

CNN said Cafferty was expressing an opinion about the Chinese Government, but the Foreign Ministry demanded an apology and accused the network of trying to drive a wedge between the Chinese people and leadership.

Asked if China supported the action against CNN, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu characterised it as "spontaneous activity by Chinese civilians".

"We will wait and see CNN's response," Jiang told a news conference, referring to the Foreign Ministry's request for a full apology.

"We hope CNN will take this seriously, because what CNN said and did has not only hurt China's feelings, but also CNN's own image."

The many CCTV Chinese television stations run by the government and the government run newspapers I am sure had a sound bite or quote.

Why don't the Chinese people who the government states feelings were hurt let them hear all of the news. If anyone believes that the Chinese are not aware of the complaints of the U.S. it is because of the Communist run media tries blocking the internet. They only hear the sound bites on TV and the newspaper. If the government cared for the people and actually wanted to lift them out of poverty instead of strengthing the state, the Chinese would hear the whole story but they do not hear this at all. Some Chinese actually do go on the internet which I am sure their government hates and they hear both sides of the story.

Jack should not have made a blanket statement making it sound like ALL Chinese, but he was pretty much right when it comes to the Communist Government and those in the party.

Edited by LiandLarry (see edit history)

This lawsuit will go nowhere. And it shouldn't. "Hope they win"? you have to be kidding me! Yes let's live in a world where someone offended by a newscaster's or public figure's comments can sue for billions of dollars. We still have some semblance of free speech in this country. Are people's skins that thin? Is a perceived insult to your national pride worth a billion dollars? The person suing is showing they are more American than Chinese anyway, what is more American than thinking your feelings being hurt is worth a big payday. I'm not responsible for your tender feelings, and Cafferty isn't either even if he is a dunce.

I love FOX News!!! Fair and Balanced!!

:Dah: :sosad: :lol:

What is so funny? I don't think it is funny.

It's funny because it's a joke. Fair and balanced that is. Fox is a mouthpiece for the right wing in this country. Anybody who can't admit their right leanings isn't being intellectually honest.

Guest Mike and Lily

It's funny because it's a joke. Fair and balanced that is. Fox is a mouthpiece for the right wing in this country. Anybody who can't admit their right leanings isn't being intellectually honest.

Or left for that matter.

I love FOX News!!! Fair and Balanced!!

:Dah: :sosad: :lol:

What is so funny? I don't think it is funny.

What is wrong with being a "right wing in this country"?

FOX News Rules!!

This lawsuit will go nowhere. And it shouldn't. "Hope they win"? you have to be kidding me!

Yeah...I hope they win.

It has less to do with pro-China feelings than it has to do with my intolerance for irresponsible, incompetent, deliberately slanderous/libelous reporting by people who were once my peers. ...and my feelings on this point are not isolated to China but go into national, state and local coverage as well. This country does not need to censor the news media, the media is brainwashed to present "news" in a way that benefits the master manipulators of government and industry.