Rice Shortage

don't keep rice too long in the house especially in the warmer weather, if it goes bad or not fresh, it might cause cancer.

Yeah, my lao po mentioned the same thing to me yesterday when I was telling her about all the hoarding here in CA, and the resulting rationing.

I am fortunate, we only live about one hour from the largest rice production area of California, surrounding and just to the north of SMF.

When Lao Po arrives, we will go put on our round sun hats and high rubber boots and go out and 'pick' our own, fresh daily !!! :angry: :) :)

Admire :lol: we eat the rice from California called U.S.No.1, it's very tasty :lol:

I agree we eat California rice do not care for the others.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't keep rice too long in the house especially in the warmer weather, if it goes bad or not fresh, it might cause cancer.

Do you have a reference for that Dave?

Don't keep the rice in the house for over a year like some said it has been a while in the distribution process and also in the stores, so buy small quantity according to the servings in your family, that can update quickly.

Make sure the rice smells normal, and doesn't change color.

Costco is still out of rice and people are buying as soon as it arrives. We bought two one hundred pound bags of Cal-Rose from Woodland CA. for $35.99 each at a Chinese market, Costco raised there price to $8.99 for a 25 pound bag. We feed alot of steamed rice to our chickens which is the grain my wife prefers to feed them.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

Jim, what the heck you doing in your avatar?? ;) :) :unsure:

Last time I purchased rice was last month in Houston. Paid $16 something for a 25 pound bag of Jasmine. Anyone know what the current price is now for similar?

We paid $11 for 25lb Jasmine at SuperH Asian market this week here in Il.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

The local supermarkets all have plenty of rice with no price increase.

Please recheck the Jasmine and Basmati types, I think you're not looking at the right 'types'.

He's right about the Jasmine. Our local SuperH has it at the same price we paid a month ago. Didn't seem to be any shortage and no signs mentioning limits.

Jim, what the heck you doing in your avatar?? :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Last time I purchased rice was last month in Houston. Paid $16 something for a 25 pound bag of Jasmine. Anyone know what the current price is now for similar?

today I saw Sams had a price tag of $20 for 50lb bag but only 1 bag left, Korean food store was $8 to $22 and the Chinese store we went to was $22 for 25lbs

The prices at Shoprite are still the same and they have plenty. I think you all go for that exotic rice.

The shortage and price increase is NOT for 'standard American rice'. Is for the other varieties, Jasmine and Basmati and one other. If you go again to Shoprite, please have a look ? Be Good !

We went to two Asian Markets in El Paso yesterday. We bought a bag of Jasmine rice at 20 lbs for $13. They both had a variety of rice ranging in price from $10 - $18 per 20 lb bag.

My wife scored some Chinese noodles on sale as well and she was pretty happy. I bought about 40 lbs of Chinese Style noodles on line a month ago. They are made by an American Chinese owned factory in CA. She does not like them. Feels that they are harder and was not impressed when I told her to just cook them longer. The ones we got yesterday were made in China.

Please recheck the Jasmine and Basmati types, I think you're not looking at the right 'types'.

He's right about the Jasmine. Our local SuperH has it at the same price we paid a month ago. Didn't seem to be any shortage and no signs mentioning limits.

Did not on Sunday either, no big deal. The bad part was the dange blue crabs on sale I now get to have for dinner!! B)

Did not on Sunday either, no big deal. The bad part was the dange blue crabs on sale I now get to have for dinner!! B)

:D

The prices at Shoprite are still the same and they have plenty. I think you all go for that exotic rice.

The shortage and price increase is NOT for 'standard American rice'. Is for the other varieties, Jasmine and Basmati and one other. If you go again to Shoprite, please have a look ? Be Good !

I know that, I was just having fun. But Shoprite does have these types of rice and there IS no shortage!

Good day