Rice Shortage

don't keep rice too long in the house especially in the warmer weather, if it goes bad or not fresh, it might cause cancer.

Oh Oh --- :lol:

How long as the rice been sitting in a rice silo?

Warehouse?

Store?

Oh my... we may all get cancer now! :D

not as long as in the house :ph34r: you know some people really keep rice for over years, for instance my next door neighbour in china in my home town , her husband died of cancer...well it doesn't mean that old rice or flour or food did it as they always ate those thinking of the waste, it could be one of the causes.

You should take it seriously, it Might cause cancer and it Might Not, depends on your body and others factors, Be Careful,it is always good to do. My husband's co-worker died within 8 days when they found he got cancer, we should try the best to avoid getting it if you are not planning to suicide, i did a lot research to it after my old friend died of cancer, she loved fried food by the way.

Well let's get back to the rice, believe me that the good stores don't keep rice that long and if you are not sure, you always can judge the good rice, it doesn't have a funny smell and after steaming it smells fragrant even if it's the ordinary kind.

Remember it may be or it may be not, if you believe your luck, just try it, some people smoke whole life long and live over 90 years old, but for some they die...

Edited by dave (see edit history)
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I returned from our trip to China March 14th a friend watched ours dogs and chickens. My wife likes to feed the chickens steamed rice from the rice cooker, my friend had told her he gave them some uncooked rice and they loved it, the first thing she said was uncooked rice gives them worms?

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

don't keep rice too long in the house especially in the warmer weather, if it goes bad or not fresh, it might cause cancer.

Do you have a reference for that Dave?

Jim, what the heck you doing in your avatar?? :P :) :)

Last time I purchased rice was last month in Houston. Paid $16 something for a 25 pound bag of Jasmine. Anyone know what the current price is now for similar?

Does everybody shop at Costco? Shoprite has rice.

Sounds like COSTCO shoppers are doing some hoarding. The Asian market we shopped last Sunday still had their full aisle stacked with bags of rice. The rice market makes sure it will go to where those who can afford it can buy it. Period.

Sounds like COSTCO shoppers are doing some hoarding. The Asian market we shopped last Sunday still had their full aisle stacked with bags of rice. The rice market makes sure it will go to where those who can afford it can buy it. Period.

The biggest factor in the shortage is the increasing price.

Those who can afford to do so, and can store it and use it in a reasonable amount of time, are buying up what they can - the commercial accounts.

The shortage isn't on 'standard american rice', but on Jasmine, also Basmati, and one other type.

Most Asians don't like the rice grown for American Consumption, it has weird taste. Is also a different type o rice.

I called Costco they said they expect 240 bags of long grain rice at one of their stores we shop at today. We were buying 25#'s for $6.99 then it went up to $7.99 before the shortage, do not know what the price will be now?

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

I called Costco they said they expect 240 bags of long grain rice at one of their stores we shop at today. We were buying 25#'s for $6.99 then it went up to $7.99 before the shortage, do not know what the price will be now?

The local supermarkets all have plenty of rice with no price increase. We are going to the Super H on Sunday and will see if any problems there?? :lol:

All you rice eaters, buy it before it goes up. :angry:

Especially in CA

they said the average asian eats 120 lbs a year. American's 20 lbs

either that or they eat them potatoes :)

So far its only the Asian supermarkets trying to rip me off,doubling their rice price!

Winn Dixi (Florida supermarket) still has 10LBs for $4.19.

Its all the "Jasmine" and "Basamati" thats short,because of some LaoDa hoarding.

We buy our vegetables from the Mexicans at the flea market,while all the Asian supermarkets in my city no longer receive my patronage.

(WongKai Market in Bradenton Florida is selling 50LBs of ordinary white restaurant rice for $23,up from $17,not too bad)

In South Korea its been $35 or $40 for a bag of rice (Today I dont know what they are paying),so we can get used to paying what they have been paying for a long time.

Japan?Rice has always been expensive there too.

I was on a bulk cargo ship going to Japan full of high quality Japanese rice,grown in California.

I dont even think we are allowed to buy that crop.

All of the "exotic styles" of rice we buy is imported,though the best Japanese rice is grown right here in America.

I think Japan sells all of their rice,and imports all of the rice they eat from America.

All you rice eaters, buy it before it goes up. :)

Especially in CA

they said the average asian eats 120 lbs a year. American's 20 lbs

either that or they eat them potatoes :)

So far its only the Asian supermarkets trying to rip me off,doubling their rice price!

Winn Dixi (Florida supermarket) still has 10LBs for $4.19.

Its all the "Jasmine" and "Basamati" thats short,because of some LaoDa hoarding.

We buy our vegetables from the Mexicans at the flea market,while all the Asian supermarkets in my city no longer receive my patronage.

(WongKai Market in Bradenton Florida is selling 50LBs of ordinary white restaurant rice for $23,up from $17,not too bad)

In South Korea its been $35 or $40 for a bag of rice (Today I dont know what they are paying),so we can get used to paying what they have been paying for a long time.

Japan?Rice has always been expensive there too.

I was on a bulk cargo ship going to Japan full of high quality Japanese rice,grown in California.

I dont even think we are allowed to buy that crop.

All of the "exotic styles" of rice we buy is imported,though the best Japanese rice is grown right here in America.

I think Japan sells all of their rice,and imports all of the rice they eat from America.

Hey, you can put part of the blame for all of this, on big Al, your pal !!! :angry: :lol: :lol:

http://www.nysun.com/news/food-crisis-ecli...-climate-change

The local supermarkets all have plenty of rice with no price increase.

Please recheck the Jasmine and Basmati types, I think you're not looking at the right 'types'.

Yeah, my lao po mentioned the same thing to me yesterday when I was telling her about all the hoarding here in CA, and the resulting rationing.

I am fortunate, we only live about one hour from the largest rice production area of California, surrounding and just to the north of SMF.

When Lao Po arrives, we will go put on our round sun hats and high rubber boots and go out and 'pick' our own, fresh daily !!! :angry: :) :)

Admire :lol: we eat the rice from California called U.S.No.1, it's very tasty :lol: