Chinese Display ???????

I've never had a problem displaying chinese from a website till now in china.

In fact, the main webpage displays all the chinese, but then going to another webpage within, the outer page displays fine but the inner page displays only ?????? where there should be characters.

It appears to be some sort of "iframe" (not a frame since all the frames should be the same) as the inner one; If I right click inside the inner part I get bogus characters; if I right click around the outer parts I get chinese characters...

So something to do with a pass-through page (ie: like an iframe?) which won't display any characters...

I have various languages setup on the browser and then tried downloading a GB support pack but to no avail...

Any thoughts?

----

again, I can display chinese characters generally ok, it is only in this inner frame that nothing will display....

I've never had a problem displaying chinese from a website till now in china.

In fact, the main webpage displays all the chinese, but then going to another webpage within, the outer page displays fine but the inner page displays only ?????? where there should be characters.

It appears to be some sort of "iframe" (not a frame since all the frames should be the same) as the inner one; If I right click inside the inner part I get bogus characters; if I right click around the outer parts I get chinese characters...

So something to do with a pass-through page (ie: like an iframe?) which won't display any characters...

I have various languages setup on the browser and then tried downloading a GB support pack but to no avail...

Any thoughts?

----

again, I can display chinese characters generally ok, it is only in this inner frame that nothing will display....

It sounds like you have done the right things.

Change encoding,

Add fonts

Maybe the frame that will not display is an adservice, they might not have the corrrect software to display on your machine.

the frame that won't display is the main information needed..

it is the bank of china website and once you log in, the inner window is then your account info... so that is the only part of the display that is what we want!

the problem with not giving anyone a url to test is that you need a bank account access...

yes we called... they just asked what IE version we had... (IE7)

We're going to try it on a full fledged chinese computer. We have one very good friend [computer guy] very close to us so we might take it over to his place.

I have found some bug reports on older browers not being able to display non Ascii characters while in HTTPS mode. Maybe it is some dealing with their HTTPS server and you brower.

yes we called... they just asked what IE version we had... (IE7)

We're going to try it on a full fledged chinese computer. We have one very good friend [computer guy] very close to us so we might take it over to his place.

I have found some bug reports on older browers not being able to display non Ascii characters while in HTTPS mode. Maybe it is some dealing with their HTTPS server and you brower.

JC! If IE7 can't be supported what's the world coming to !!

Oh yea.. it's MicroSuck after all :P

I guess I could download IE8 and find out...

Bloopie. If you get same results from Opera or FireFox, then it's a poorly designed website. But, apparently many Chinese Computers access it, right? IIRC, there is also English version of the User Account Portal.

same problem with firefox and the english login asks for which province and your redirected to the chinese login..

Double Bloopie. What are the results on 'Pure Chinese OS' ?

same problem with firefox and the english login asks for which province and your redirected to the chinese login..

Older versions of Firefox is where i saw the error report with Https, but some times you never know how wide spread the issue is between the versions.