Could you tell me your reasons?

Hi Amanda -

Have you read anything here on the forums ?

Find a topic or thread with a similar question ?

Any chance your boyfriend has found similar question here as well?

I suppose if every question asked where run through this filter, perhaps there would be very few questions asked. Many topics have been covered, and as new people arrive and others move forward in the visa process new experiences happen to members all the time.

I have been a member of other forums and I know it can be frustrating for long time members to see newbie's ask questions that have been asked before. This question was not about the step by step visa process, but about the real life experiences people have had for a given visa route, and why they believed this was the best choice for them.

We (Amanda & I) see advantages and disadvantages to both K1 & K3, we are working through which will be best for us. The best route will be determined by our personal desires for ourselves and our family. Our decision will be based upon many factors, as I am sure everyone here did the same. The question Amanda asked was to seek real life experiences so maybe we would learn from these, and be better informed in our own decision. It is my opinion that this is what CFL is all about, maybe yours differs.

Richard

I have been members both on CFL and 001.com.I know the main step by step visa process. But I prefer to know more information especially other people's reasons why to choose the specific visa.Just like my BF,Richard said above,we want to seek real life experiences so that we will make the best decision for ourselves. We (Richard and I) feel so grateful to get many very good and real reasons and suggestions from others! We do not want to offend anyone.We just want to get help and will help others in the future.So CFL is alike a Big Family where brothers and sisters can help one aonther inside.The long waiting for getting visa can be miserable matter,but with the help from CFL can also be enjoyable experiences in life.

I also feel so grateful to my SO.He is always at my side to support me.

I love and trust him so much that nothing will stop us...

Amanda from her mother land, China

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard -

my apologies -

Seriously - I thought she was pouring through the forum area that covered this stuff. I had read many things here before I posted my first reply or topic, and then read a lot more before I posted my second reply.

The amount of information here is VAST, and sometimes the search engine isn't clued in to what one thinks a proper search word/term/phrase should be. I know I had massive problems with what I had thought to be simple search terms returning 0 hits, then finding the exact same search terms whilst I was simply reading from top to bottom on a topic.

I do note that simply from a TIMELINE standpoint, the advantage or disadvantage of K1/K3/CR1 has changed over the last 3 years. I wouldn't have noticed this without actually reading the timelines that people here post in their sigs, and with urls to the VJ site.

It's not that I was trying to be crass or rude - I thought it to be a real question - What have you seen so far ?, as the real life experiences you are seeking to read about, actually do exist here on the forums, prior to the date/time stamp on her question. If you or Amanda have taken offense, I bow in the dust, offer up 2 kilos of chocolate.

Hi Amanda -

I suppose if every question asked where run through this filter, perhaps there would be very few questions asked. Many topics have been covered, and as new people arrive and others move forward in the visa process new experiences happen to members all the time.

I have been a member of other forums and I know it can be frustrating for long time members to see newbie's ask questions that have been asked before. This question was not about the step by step visa process, but about the real life experiences people have had for a given visa route, and why they believed this was the best choice for them.

We (Amanda & I) see advantages and disadvantages to both K1 & K3, we are working through which will be best for us. The best route will be determined by our personal desires for ourselves and our family. Our decision will be based upon many factors, as I am sure everyone here did the same. The question Amanda asked was to seek real life experiences so maybe we would learn from these, and be better informed in our own decision. It is my opinion that this is what CFL is all about, maybe yours differs.

Richard

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Amamda and Richard, it's pretty cool to see your relationship unfold right here in front of us. Amanda's english is better than mine :D and you do ask some very important questions, especially at this stage of just before you meet in person, see if you truly do have that love you feel from the internet, and then start the paperwork.

My guess is you two are gonna find your love for each other is greater than you could imagine from writing on the internet to each other.

Okay....my advice, go the K-1 route as Chilton747 and Rob have stated.

The folks in the consulate are very arbitrary when it comes time for an interview. They may ask Amanda 2 or 3 questions, smile and give her a pink slip of approval....OR...as in my fiancee's case, the visa officer may be a complete jerk, treat Amanda like a criminal, and blue or white slip her....there is no real rhyme or reason as to their methods.

I say K-1 visa first because IF you should have trouble at the interview, you will have a much better chance of later getting a visa with a CR-1 visa later.

You guys make a lovely couple and here's hoping Amanda gets the simple little interview with the 3 questions and a smile. I would be remiss to not tell you the possible realities of interview time. Prepare for the WORST, hope for the BEST.

DO read David Z's FAQ's and understand the paperwork and interview preparation until it is etched in stone. On that important first trip and meeting, save everthingthat shows what you paid for and take many photos in different clothers and in different places.

You guys will do just fine.

tsap seui

Thank you for your consideration ,your suggestion and your compliment on my English.

I hope everything will be better for you and your SO!

Amanda

:D My soon to be wife and I will be just fine. I have a feeling we may possibly hear something from the consulate this week...and that something will most likely be a denial....but, we are okay. If they deny us, I'll quickly fly over and we'll have a small wedding to get the clock started for a new application. I'll fly home and shut down my business, start my TEFL course on line and get ready to head back over to live the next 2 or 3 years in China teaching english, helping my wife get her business started, and starting to live as a family with her/our 12 year old son, just like we've been waiting over 8 months to do.

The main thing is, the american consulate will no longer be in control of our lives.

The day after my fiancees interview day, I went to american citizen hour to find out what was wrong. If I had known the consulate had lied to me that day and then was going to play games with us for so long like this...I would have told the ACH visa officer to just give us a white denial slip and I'd have given them the blue slip back :blink: I've got a friend who may well do that if GUZ plays anymore games with him.

I wish the best for you both, with your first time meeting each other, and with your visa journey.

tsap seui

Wow! I didn't know that. My wife and I are currently sitting on a blue card and if they deny us we essentially have no options? We will never live together in the US? They sort of exile US citizens if they have been denied a CR-1 visa?

Even if we continue live here (in China) for two or three years we can never do anything to make it back to the US as husband and wife? What sense is there in that?

My opinion comes from "the other side of the tracks." To me, filing a K1 or K3 has a distinct advantage. If the K1 or K3 is denied then at least you have another recourse with the CR1. If one gets denied on a CR1 then you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

As Carl has stated, this is for many, a very ¡°personal decision¡±.

Similar to Ed, I had known my wife for some time before I filed our petition.

I also knew her for many months before I married her, in China.

Marriage in China was a joint, well thought out decision. It was important to each of us.

Her strong family ties/culture and family considerations were at the top of the list. I also wanted to experience marriage in my wife¡¯s mother country, and wanted to always have the memory of that shared experience. We have the shared moments of not only the wedding ceremony, but also a very wonderful wedding dinner with all of her family and close friends from her work and college days. Moreover, I wanted to give her the security of the marriage tie, in the eyes of her family and friends, while we waited to file and then waited the wait for the visa. Each time I visit her and our daughter, I am not [just] the boyfriend; I am Lao Gong. Last, I am really very proud of my little red Chinese marriage book.

I elected to go with the K-3, because of the two available options, it suited us best. All I cared about was being able to travel to and from the PRC without having to apply for the AP, which the K-3 provides. At the time I filed, the K-3 was not taking too much longer than the K-1, but a lot less time than the CR-1. Since the debacle with the fee increase late last spring to early summer, all of the timelines starting at the service centers, have been skewed for the current group of petitioners. Now, for some reason, the timeline out of GUZ has also been affected in recent months, collectively slowing down the entire process for the K-series visas, to nearly a year or maybe even longer.

My wife has an ITIN for tax purposes and we will apply for the SSN after her arrival. As I will be fully retired in early summer after a long professional career, there is no plan for her to work outside of the home. I could not imagine me sitting at home, watching reruns of Sponge Bob on TV, while she is off all day working. We will engage in working together at our own business from home and raising our collective children. Moreover, as we will have been married for two years, within just a few months after their arrival, we will be able to apply for the ten year GC and not the Conditional two year version, out of AOS.

Again, each must make their own decision and choice, as to visa type, after their own independent assessment of their own unique circumstances. We are each different in lifestyle, personal culture and personal needs/goals. The best way or right way, is the way that fits each couple; not necessarily what is/was best for someone else.

I have no regret whatsoever, for marrying in China, nor for filing the K-3 and K-4. My wife and I are closer than ever in our relationship. She puts no stress or any pressure on me with respect to the process and the timeline. She always reminds me we have a lifetime together, ahead of us. Her only demand has been that I must love her forever. Such an easy task she has remanded upon me.

I feel so blessed to have found this woman. I have never before in my life experienced a depth of love and a feeling of commitment, as I have experienced with Lao Po. She is so consistent, so calm, so intelligent, and so loving and caring.

My only regret, is that I had to wait so long into my life to find this incredible woman.

I know of 2 cases that this has happened. The one case I read about was where a man has been waiting for over 6 years as GZ and the USCIS has mysteriously lost their case? I know of another woman that had to wait over 10 years. Completely exiled? Might as well be. I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but I only tell about what I hear and read. You know as well as I do that GZ will make us jump through as many hoops as they possibly can. But where does one really draw the line?

I posted this to give the OP an idea of what really does and what really can happen. Bottom line, the K1 and K3 can be upgraded to a CR1. What can a CR1 be upgraded to?

Certainly I wish you the best of luck always!

Wow! I didn't know that. My wife and I are currently sitting on a blue card and if they deny us we essentially have no options? We will never live together in the US? They sort of exile US citizens if they have been denied a CR-1 visa?

Even if we continue live here (in China) for two or three years we can never do anything to make it back to the US as husband and wife? What sense is there in that?

My opinion comes from "the other side of the tracks." To me, filing a K1 or K3 has a distinct advantage. If the K1 or K3 is denied then at least you have another recourse with the CR1. If one gets denied on a CR1 then you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

Hi Amanda & Richard,

This question always gets varied responses & all are valid as every couple is different! Some couples are more concerned with speed of filing, some with costs, some with ease of AOS, some with family preferences, some with religious considerations, it is really a personal choice.

Zhen & I went the CR-1 / K-3 route for a number of reasons (many of which Roger stated above). It was more important for us to be married in China as both she & I wanted her family to know I was sincere in my intentions - this is NOT to say that K-1 filers are insincere!!! It was just how we felt about it. I will also always cherish my 'Little Red Book' and that is something you won't get marrying here, haha! The Wedding Party with all her Family, friends, classmates & co-workers is something I will also never forget! It would have been impossible for any of them to attend a Wedding in the US & we threw a Reception Party here for my Family & friends later, so everyone was happy & able to share in our joy.

Unfortunately, timelines are not what they used to be and many factors have slowed down everything, but when we filed, K-3 Visas were still pretty quick. Zhen received her Visa exactly 10 months from our Wedding Day; 9+ months from sending in the I-130 & 8 months from the submitting the I-129, so we were very fortunate & even beat some K-1 Timelines at the time... although I doubt this is possible nowadays.

In the end it is a decision you will both make together based on your own desires and what makes you happiest. Best of luck!

Steve & Zhen

I posted this to give the OP an idea of what really does and what really can happen. Bottom line, the K1 and K3 can be upgraded to a CR1. What can a CR1 be upgraded to?

A life in China?

A lawsuit against the US government?

I prefer the first choice as I would not have the money for the second choice. Just think how far the money for the second choice would go in China. Hey after all, China will take my family if the US does not want us. :)

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

we chose cr-1 since we felt (even if it takes longer- it didnt for us but we had different circumstances which we had our case expedited) that it was worth all the extra time, since when getting in to the US we would not have a problem with GC and all that extra stress!

Richard -

my apologies -

Seriously - I thought she was pouring through the forum area that covered this stuff. I had read many things here before I posted my first reply or topic, and then read a lot more before I posted my second reply.

The amount of information here is VAST, and sometimes the search engine isn't clued in to what one thinks a proper search word/term/phrase should be. I know I had massive problems with what I had thought to be simple search terms returning 0 hits, then finding the exact same search terms whilst I was simply reading from top to bottom on a topic.

I do note that simply from a TIMELINE standpoint, the advantage or disadvantage of K1/K3/CR1 has changed over the last 3 years. I wouldn't have noticed this without actually reading the timelines that people here post in their sigs, and with urls to the VJ site.

It's not that I was trying to be crass or rude - I thought it to be a real question - What have you seen so far ?, as the real life experiences you are seeking to read about, actually do exist here on the forums, prior to the date/time stamp on her question. If you or Amanda have taken offense, I bow in the dust, offer up 2 kilos of chocolate.

Hi Amanda -

Richard

Hello, Darnell

Even though the real life experiences can be seeked on the forums that had been existed before I posted, was it for Richard and me possible to post here and communicate with others about their reasons to choose ? The answer to the question was shown by so many people who answered so well that I did not imagine before I posted. I do get help from their replies!

This is a fact that I posted a question and not only Richard amd I got help but also other people who want to work through visas as well.

This is a free forum which people can give hands to and also can get help from. You never imagine who will post what kind of question or which answer will help you.

Richard and I feel so happy and grateful for those who have answered my question. This proves what I did is right...

Sincerely,

Amanda from PRC