Ticket to the US

snip///

Better check with a travel agency than to resort to travelocity, or

any web-based service.

I could not agree more.... Especially for more complex itinerary.. And I travel 200K / year.

Last example..... Wichita-Beijing Dec 26 ( last ) - Jan 6

My agent find : $ 756

Websites ( best price ) 1200+

Other case: 9 europe countries / 12 days / 14 flights routinely last year.. Total fare 2200 $ from agent..from WICHITA, KS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ( riiight !! :-) )

Traveloblahblah and Expedia couldn't even touch this one.. fried the server :D

I rest my case :lol:

I've had mixed results. The first trip I planned to come here I found cheaper airfare on Expedia than through a travel agent. This trip it found cheaper tickets through my wifes agent here in China, it was the flight from hell though, but cheaper.

I think at any given time it's best to shop around. Find a good agent and check their prices against web fares and against an agent in China. The prices change almost on a daily basis.

-Tim

I would definately shop around, including having your wife check prices in China. our flight earlier this month was booked in China on ChinaAir was about 400 dollars one way - Beijing to JFK non-stop. If you need Boston, then United might be a good choice. I was unable to book a one- way ticket from the states on United for anything less than 1000 dollars but in China it would have been possible.

There would be a few advantages of doing the China Air flight:

1) shortest possible flying time for your wife - 13 1/2 hrs.

2) They stamp the EAD in her passport at JFK, saving you the hassle of going and applying at INS

3) Direct flight so no changeovers.

On the downside, it's China Air! and you'd have to a bit of driving. .....

Good luck!

Dave

Guest enight

hi tunger... besides the others advice... you can book e tickets online too,

my Alan bought e tickets online and printed out confirmation for us, we took abroad in Shanghai without any problem. :huh:

Guest blsqueaky

Well on my last trip, I booked with Fly China. Paper tickets, so every stop I had to check in again, and again, and again. Both Going and returning. Flew out of Columbus on Delta, then Asiana Air, and return Asiana Air and United. I have checked on my tickets for the Dec travel, and they have the same flight for the same price $879, but decided not to take. It was the flight from *&^%, 9 hour layover in LA and because I am American, could not get a exit door seat on Asiana This trip paying about $400 more, but only 2 stops, and total layover 3 hours. Still looking, and I think I will call travel agent this time.

I was playing on the computer and checking prices for flights to Chongqing from Ft. Myers, does anyone know if it would be cheaper to get the tickets in China and have them sent here? last time round trip was $1034. just curious, any information would help, or thoughts on this

Hi tunger,

I must agree with everyone here. It is best to shop around and do it early to allow for unforseen problems (i.e. SARS). My first trip to China Dec. 2002 I booked through Fly China and my flight was not bad. Only 3 hour lay over in L.A. both ways and the price, Under $1000.

This last trip in June / July, I spent $1100. If I had been able to go when I had planned in March, my tickets would have only been $796 Cincy, Ohio to Shanghai. I also would not have had the pleasure of meeting you Dave.

On another note, my wife did find the best price for my domestic flight from Shanghai to Chongqing. On the internet, the best I could find was about $200 one way. My wife found a flight for me for $120.

I have asked my wife to start looking now and watch the prices until time for her to come to the states. I am sure she will be able to find a very good rate. I will continue to search here in the US and then she and I will compaire notes, so to say.

I flew Shanghai Air domestic and I was impressed by the efforts of the flight crew. The aircraft was new and very clean. (Everything worked) :o

Good luck on your search for tickets tunger.

Bryan

Hi tunger,

I must agree with everyone here. It is best to shop around and do it early to allow for unforseen problems (i.e. SARS). My first trip to China Dec. 2002 I booked through Fly China and my flight was not bad. Only 3 hour lay over in L.A. both ways and the price, Under $1000.

This last trip in June / July, I spent $1100. If I had been able to go when I had planned in March, my tickets would have only been $796 Cincy, Ohio to Shanghai. I also would not have had the pleasure of meeting you Dave. 

On another note, my wife did find the best price for my domestic flight from Shanghai to Chongqing. On the internet, the best I could find was about $200 one way. My wife found a flight for me for $120.

I have asked my wife to start looking now and watch the prices until time for her to come to the states. I am sure she will be able to find a very good rate.  I will continue to search here in the US and then she and I will compaire notes, so to say.

I flew Shanghai Air domestic and I was impressed by the efforts of the flight crew. The aircraft was new and very clean. (Everything worked)  <_<

Good luck on your search for tickets tunger.

Bryan

I have asked my wife to start looking now and watch the prices until time for her to come to the states. I am sure she will be able to find a very good rate. I will continue to search here in the US and then she and I will compaire notes, so to say.

I am doing the same thing myself right now. Fly China seems to have the best prices on this end but I asked my fiance to check prices on her end. She seems to think she might be able to get a better price. :P

This is a great discussion for me since I am planning to go to China in November. I found cheaper tickets to BeiJing than to Nanning on Travelocity so I am rearranging my itinerary to fit the cost.

My gal lives in Nanning but we are going to marry in QiQiHar, her home town. Since BeiJing is on the way, she will meet me there and we will travel to QiQIHar via train. We'll spend time there and then return to Nanning, again via train. Unfortunately, I still need to return to BeiJing to return to the states. This is the plan at this point.

After reading this discussion, I will definitely be checking with travel agents here and having ShuPing check on her end, especially for all the traveling we plan to do in China.

Thanks again folks.

Guest blsqueaky

I have been checking out these 2 site lately, and still keeping an eye on them. The first one is

www.cheaptickts.com. This one  is really worth looking into if they are what they say they are.

The other one [html]www.cheapseats.com. This one found a a nice more direct flight with about 3 hours of layover, but a little more $$.