The Expat's Corner...

rogerluli

I'm still looking at other possibilities, I'd rather stay in China as I think everyone would. Yunnan looks quite nice, possibly further south of Kunming, Yuxi maybe? Its developing fast and not THAT huge compared to the other big city's right now its population is only around 3 million. And looks like a nice temperate place with no huge natural disasters happening. Quiet, possible market for English teaching etc... Hmn, right now our plan is for me to finish school by 2013 and head back to America for 5 or so years to save up some money to start the little venture depending on how the economy is and the exchange rate. Maybe we wont need to, but I think she really wants to experience it.

I could definitely use your skills tsap when it comes to making my home, I do want it to be somewhat American... which is to say... built with out all the new materials being scratched and cracked as they are being placed.. I want to build it my self but I have no experience :D

Carl, while I'm in China we plan to travel quite a bit and see different cities, of course that means I'll want to meet other CFLers. I'd be happy to help you if the circumstances worked out. I'm gonna be checking out building suppy shops in our area to see what is out there, and I'd like to go out with a crew and see how they do things with all that concrete...heck, I'm used to furrin' out concrete walls and hangin' drywall.

I'm already missing my 12" chopsaw, my drills and sawzall, and circular saw...and the challenge of takin' shit and makin' shine-ola out of it. With wood, I can do anything, run wires, and do the plumbing.

Chinese building looks like you need a jack hammer to make channels for the wires and become good at staying on your knees while you set ceramic tiles and then install them on the walls...and then you need to be a good plasterer...I'd recommend you go out with an old guy who does walls and learn his trade......

Who am I kiddin'? I'm gonna be like tsap seui in Wonderland in the magical rabbit hole....I'll be lucky to even come up for air...I'll shaddup now. ;)

tsap seui

So what kinda magic could ya work in this outhouse (inside of course)

http://i42.tinypic.com/26400ts.jpg

Being a westerner I would need 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's and some furring strips...the Chinese worker would look at this and see, sand, bricks, and tons of mortar...I'll have to pass on this one. :unsure:

tsap seui

Geez this is too simple...2 words... :lol:

WHITE TILES... :smartass: Think acres and acres of white tiles and you understand China... B)

But what about the floor? :roller: It's sunk in almost a foot. :o

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still looking at other possibilities, I'd rather stay in China as I think everyone would. Yunnan looks quite nice, possibly further south of Kunming, Yuxi maybe? Its developing fast and not THAT huge compared to the other big city's right now its population is only around 3 million. And looks like a nice temperate place with no huge natural disasters happening. Quiet, possible market for English teaching etc... Hmn, right now our plan is for me to finish school by 2013 and head back to America for 5 or so years to save up some money to start the little venture depending on how the economy is and the exchange rate. Maybe we wont need to, but I think she really wants to experience it.

I could definitely use your skills tsap when it comes to making my home, I do want it to be somewhat American... which is to say... built with out all the new materials being scratched and cracked as they are being placed.. I want to build it my self but I have no experience ;)

Carl, while I'm in China we plan to travel quite a bit and see different cities, of course that means I'll want to meet other CFLers. I'd be happy to help you if the circumstances worked out. I'm gonna be checking out building suppy shops in our area to see what is out there, and I'd like to go out with a crew and see how they do things with all that concrete...heck, I'm used to furrin' out concrete walls and hangin' drywall.

I'm already missing my 12" chopsaw, my drills and sawzall, and circular saw...and the challenge of takin' shit and makin' shine-ola out of it. With wood, I can do anything, run wires, and do the plumbing.

Chinese building looks like you need a jack hammer to make channels for the wires and become good at staying on your knees while you set ceramic tiles and then install them on the walls...and then you need to be a good plasterer...I'd recommend you go out with an old guy who does walls and learn his trade......

Who am I kiddin'? I'm gonna be like tsap seui in Wonderland in the magical rabbit hole....I'll be lucky to even come up for air...I'll shaddup now. ;)

tsap seui

Being a westerner I would need 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's and some furring strips...the Chinese worker would look at this and see, sand, bricks, and tons of mortar...I'll have to pass on this one. :unsure:

tsap seui

Geez this is too simple...2 words... :o

WHITE TILES... :smartass: Think acres and acres of white tiles and you understand China... :D

But what about the floor? :roller: It's sunk in almost a foot. B)

Same thingie in our houses Cuzin'...You decide where you want everything, they slap it in and cement over the whole ball of wax...Then if it leaks it goes into the floor below you...Did I 'splain why we only bought houses on the top floor??? :lol:

I could definitely use your skills tsap when it comes to making my home, I do want it to be somewhat American... which is to say... built with out all the new materials being scratched and cracked as they are being placed.. I want to build it my self but I have no experience ;)

tsap seui

tsap seui

WHITE TILES... :smartass: Think acres and acres of white tiles and you understand China... :D

Same thingie in our houses Cuzin'...You decide where you want everything, they slap it in and cement over the whole ball of wax...Then if it leaks it goes into the floor below you...Did I 'splain why we only bought houses on the top floor??? :lol:

Add an S trap to the plumbing.

White tile ????????? cheapskate! go with polished granite.

tsap seui

tsap seui

Add an S trap to the plumbing.

White tile ????????? cheapskate! go with polished granite.

Not to worry Dan I would rather die a thousand deaths than use those standard white tiles in my house... :P Some kind of stone is definitely on our agenda... ;)

I was just reading about retiring in Thailand which is quite easy also (in addition to Malaysia) and a former Thai citizen can simply apply for a Thai ID card which grants them all the rights of a Thai citizen INCLUDING OWNING PROPERTY which is normally not allowed for foreigners unless you're willing to take your chances with some "quasi-legal" shenanigans... :cheering: Wish China had something like that... :cheering:

I was just reading about retiring in Thailand which is quite easy also (in addition to Malaysia) and a former Thai citizen can simply apply for a Thai ID card which grants them all the rights of a Thai citizen INCLUDING OWNING PROPERTY which is normally not allowed for foreigners unless you're willing to take your chances with some "quasi-legal" shenanigans... :cheering: Wish China had something like that... :cheering:

China is still my first choice for retirement. I guess, I am thinking to work part time while i am retired. My plan is for the work to get my visa. There must be ways to beat the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Roger, Yizhen & I are very interested in living in China someday, and we try to read everything you have so generously shared here. We saw a photo of the home in post #92, but it was a view looking back from the beach, we would like to find it again. Could you please point us in the right direction? Thanks again for your wonderful stories and all the good info you have passed on to us. Mike & Yizhen

Hello Roger, Yizhen & I are very interested in living in China someday, and we try to read everything you have so generously shared here. We saw a photo of the home in post #92, but it was a view looking back from the beach, we would like to find it again. Could you please point us in the right direction? Thanks again for your wonderful stories and all the good info you have passed on to us. Mike & Yizhen

Ah Mike you've been duped... :lol: Post #92 in THIS thread shows some incredibly expensive ocean-front place in Thailand... :P Certainly nothing I could afford... ;) Or are you talking about post #92 in my Hainan or Yunnan threads??? :toot:

My wife is in China right now so I will have fresh stuff and pics about both Yuxi, Yunnan and Qionghai, Hainan coming up so stay tuned... B)

Rog, that is the house, I saw the same home with a different view, from the water looking towards the home. I did see this other view, but I can't find it again. I was thinking about designing my own home, maybe in China, Costa Rica, or Florida. Maybe you could tell me where to look, thanks, Mike

Rog, that is the house, I saw the same home with a different view, from the water looking towards the home. I did see this other view, but I can't find it again. I was thinking about designing my own home, maybe in China, Costa Rica, or Florida. Maybe you could tell me where to look, thanks, Mike

Ai ya Mike I would have no idea where to tell you I found that house...Must have been some Thai house web site but was it from a real estate agency or a developer and where it might have been in Thailand????????? :cheering: :cheering: :yahoo: Just start surfing I guess... :bangin:

I need a little help from my friends. Our new condo in Chengdu is almost finished. The contractor rep called today and said to come by on Feb 27 at 3pm and "look" to see if everything is ok(???). I was a full-time home inspector before I retired to China, so I sorta know what to look for in a conventional western home, new or 100+ years old. But what do I want to check out when it's only concrete, stubbed plumbing/electric and windows/glass? I guess what I'm asking is what have other CFLers experienced when told to come and "look" at their new "house"?

Btw, they had told us when we bought last June that completion would be around April....

I need a little help from my friends. Our new condo in Chengdu is almost finished. The contractor rep called today and said to come by on Feb 27 at 3pm and "look" to see if everything is ok(???). I was a full-time home inspector before I retired to China, so I sorta know what to look for in a conventional western home, new or 100+ years old. But what do I want to check out when it's only concrete, stubbed plumbing/electric and windows/glass? I guess what I'm asking is what have other CFLers experienced when told to come and "look" at their new "house"?

Btw, they had told us when we bought last June that completion would be around April....

Bill, I was a builder/renovator and not having seen anything but photos of our home, I would have no clue of what to tell you. Our home is finished/"finished" now so I can't see the rough in stuff.

Quite honestly ;) ....I don't think I want to know what the rough in looked like, it gives me shivers, and it's probably one of those situations where what you don't see doesn't give you any nightmares. :bangin:

There's a slight possibility I'll be heading over to Shenyang later this month to marry and christen the new home with the lil' rabbit...I'll let ya know if we flood out the neighbors below us. B)

Godd luck with the new home.

tsap seui

Bill, I was a builder/renovator and not having seen anything but photos of our home, I would have no clue of what to tell you. Our home is finished/"finished" now so I can't see the rough in stuff.

Quite honestly :lol: ....I don't think I want to know what the rough in looked like, it gives me shivers, and it's probably one of those situations where what you don't see doesn't give you any nightmares. :D

There's a slight possibility I'll be heading over to Shenyang later this month to marry and christen the new home with the lil' rabbit...I'll let ya know if we flood out the neighbors below us. ;)

Godd luck with the new home.

tsap seui

There are services that do the inspection for you...One trick I saw on Chinese TV was to take a ball bearing and make sure everything slopes the way it should...I guess a level would also come in handy to give you that info...I suspect that once you do sign off...Then it's yours baby...Forget going to court to sue anybody... :huh: