The Expat's Corner...

rogerluli

I thought a couple of interesting posts on retiring in Asia...The Swede in the reply votes for Malaysia...Even if you don't bother with the MM2H retirement visa thingie and American gets a 3 month visa when you show up in Malaysia and then can get a 2 month extension just by paying the fees...If only China was so simple... :(

"...anyway back to retiring in Philippines. The biggest problem here is BOREDOM! Met many Brits who have all the trimmings, ie big house, nice young wife, 4 wheel drive car, maid, gardener and driver but BORED.

A nearby chap we know attends a weekly expat meet to drink beer and mix with other Brits.... "otherwise I'd go mad" he says.

Money gets you everything here but it can make you idle, why dig the garden when a chap will do it for 3 pounds. Luxury goods are not cheap however and you need to choose your hobbie or interest carefully.

We know a chap whos's wife is in the UK working and sending him money each month with her families needs. She has a boyfriend there and rumour has it that her sister here is taking care of the husband. He gets bigger and bigger drinking more beer and just sitting....what a life!

We are busy with our lives here and contented but I feel sorry for other ex-pats who saw the grass greener on the other side of the fence and made the committment. I would advise anyone retiring in the Philippines to do it as a single person for a couple of years before settling down for good. All is easy to buy but not to sell. "

Reply..."Sorry for intruding in to this "British expat.com". I'm from Sweden! I have read this thread and I just want to say that what -sunnydays- is writing is a very common to a lot of westerners moving to a cheap country in Asia. For four years I have bean traveling in Thailand, Laos, Malaysia and Cambodia. Everywhere I staid, in different city's for a period not longer than three month in each place I get same feeling about the fellow westerner ho lives there that the only thing that keeps them together is the beer and the common interest of lose women. Offcurse there a lots of acceptations, but not the norm! One could say Ive seen everything and it is a very dangerous not having hobby's. The slippery slope is very close!

Now I am in Sweden and soon I am going back to Asia but this time a lot wiser. The only country were you can met another westerner ore a western girl for that matter or a local girl is in Malaysia that will not put a dirty stigma on your person.

One more thing with Malaysia is that you get 3 month o.a.v. at no cost and the country is suitable for traveling to everywhere in Asia with fore ex. Air asia ... cheap, cheap!... And explore more!

Only Malaysian food is a good reason for living there and the rents south of KL is super cheap!

Every second month travel somewhere and in between come home to rest and exercise!

Boredom.... dangerous!"

I honestly never understood the reasoning behind men going from girl to girl. I guess I was always a 1 woman guy, I don't think I could live like that jumping from one woman to another. I guess I'm one of those odd balls as far as men go...I hate sports too :D :( :toot:

Yes there are expats and then there are SEXPATS... :D and many of them end up in some corner of asia known for cheap women and cheap booze...You get what you pay for... :happydance:

So I go the the British Expats forum to check up on the latest and a guy is raving about Cambodia... :draw: Bungalows $6/nite, Beer 75 cents/bottle, Whiskey $4/bottle, Girlies $10/pop... :huh:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought a couple of interesting posts on retiring in Asia...The Swede in the reply votes for Malaysia...Even if you don't bother with the MM2H retirement visa thingie and American gets a 3 month visa when you show up in Malaysia and then can get a 2 month extension just by paying the fees...If only China was so simple... :(

"...anyway back to retiring in Philippines. The biggest problem here is BOREDOM! Met many Brits who have all the trimmings, ie big house, nice young wife, 4 wheel drive car, maid, gardener and driver but BORED.

A nearby chap we know attends a weekly expat meet to drink beer and mix with other Brits.... "otherwise I'd go mad" he says.

Money gets you everything here but it can make you idle, why dig the garden when a chap will do it for 3 pounds. Luxury goods are not cheap however and you need to choose your hobbie or interest carefully.

We know a chap whos's wife is in the UK working and sending him money each month with her families needs. She has a boyfriend there and rumour has it that her sister here is taking care of the husband. He gets bigger and bigger drinking more beer and just sitting....what a life!

We are busy with our lives here and contented but I feel sorry for other ex-pats who saw the grass greener on the other side of the fence and made the committment. I would advise anyone retiring in the Philippines to do it as a single person for a couple of years before settling down for good. All is easy to buy but not to sell. "

Reply..."Sorry for intruding in to this "British expat.com". I'm from Sweden! I have read this thread and I just want to say that what -sunnydays- is writing is a very common to a lot of westerners moving to a cheap country in Asia. For four years I have bean traveling in Thailand, Laos, Malaysia and Cambodia. Everywhere I staid, in different city's for a period not longer than three month in each place I get same feeling about the fellow westerner ho lives there that the only thing that keeps them together is the beer and the common interest of lose women. Offcurse there a lots of acceptations, but not the norm! One could say Ive seen everything and it is a very dangerous not having hobby's. The slippery slope is very close!

Now I am in Sweden and soon I am going back to Asia but this time a lot wiser. The only country were you can met another westerner ore a western girl for that matter or a local girl is in Malaysia that will not put a dirty stigma on your person.

One more thing with Malaysia is that you get 3 month o.a.v. at no cost and the country is suitable for traveling to everywhere in Asia with fore ex. Air asia ... cheap, cheap!... And explore more!

Only Malaysian food is a good reason for living there and the rents south of KL is super cheap!

Every second month travel somewhere and in between come home to rest and exercise!

Boredom.... dangerous!"

I honestly never understood the reasoning behind men going from girl to girl. I guess I was always a 1 woman guy, I don't think I could live like that jumping from one woman to another. I guess I'm one of those odd balls as far as men go...I hate sports too :D :huh: :D

Yes there are expats and then there are SEXPATS... :draw: and many of them end up in some corner of asia known for cheap women and cheap booze...You get what you pay for... :toot:

So I go the the British Expats forum to check up on the latest and a guy is raving about Cambodia... :( Bungalows $6/nite, Beer 75 cents/bottle, Whiskey $4/bottle, Girlies $10/pop... :huh:

Dang roGgie, such a deal :( Heck, Vietnamese "taxi-girls" were $15 per boom-boom back in 1970...of course the difference may be that the taxi-girls promised to "luv you long time, G.I." :happydance:

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Boredom.... dangerous!"

I honestly never understood the reasoning behind men going from girl to girl. I guess I was always a 1 woman guy, I don't think I could live like that jumping from one woman to another. I guess I'm one of those odd balls as far as men go...I hate sports too :ph34r: :draw: :mobrun:

Yes there are expats and then there are SEXPATS... :blink: and many of them end up in some corner of asia known for cheap women and cheap booze...You get what you pay for... :unsure:

So I go the the British Expats forum to check up on the latest and a guy is raving about Cambodia... :yahoo: Bungalows $6/nite, Beer 75 cents/bottle, Whiskey $4/bottle, Girlies $10/pop... :huh:

Dang roGgie, such a deal :lol: Heck, Vietnamese "taxi-girls" were $15 per boom-boom back in 1970...of course the difference may be that the taxi-girls promised to "luv you long time, G.I." :eyebrow:

tsap seui

Now you've got me wondering Tsapper about the "economics" here...If "boom boom" is twice... :P then that's only $7.50/pop... :rolleyes:

I like to plan plan plan, and live in the moment even more. Right now I'm in planning mode sitting here with Lao Po and the parents, we plan on taking care of em when they reach that certain age. I've talked a lot about moving to southern China and setting up a school near Guilin (that place had a big impact on me when I went) but now you've got me thinking outside China, the great thing is the parents are on board. Anywhere we decide they will follow, dad seems to be very upbeat about my idea of starting a business teaching English even though the business plan may change.

You say Malaysia is good, but can I set up a business teaching English? Could I even get a customer? I don't plan on staying Idle, also, I'm designing a nice little abode for us to stay in, here is what I've got so far:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/0Vector/CFL_1.jpg

Any way I could build this in Malaysia? Hmn... Lao Po seems to be interested. One thing that bothers me, what of the natural disasters, wouldn't want to lose the investment B) there have been 6 cyclones since the 60's and in 2004 they were hit pretty hard, land slides happen often also.

I like to plan plan plan, and live in the moment even more. Right now I'm in planning mode sitting here with Lao Po and the parents, we plan on taking care of em when they reach that certain age. I've talked a lot about moving to southern China and setting up a school near Guilin (that place had a big impact on me when I went) but now you've got me thinking outside China, the great thing is the parents are on board. Anywhere we decide they will follow, dad seems to be very upbeat about my idea of starting a business teaching English even though the business plan may change.

You say Malaysia is good, but can I set up a business teaching English? Could I even get a customer? I don't plan on staying Idle, also, I'm designing a nice little abode for us to stay in, here is what I've got so far:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/0Vector/CFL_1.jpg

Any way I could build this in Malaysia? Hmn... Lao Po seems to be interested. One thing that bothers me, what of the natural disasters, wouldn't want to lose the investment :P there have been 6 cyclones since the 60's and in 2004 they were hit pretty hard, land slides happen often also.

Just like in China setting up a business for a foreigner would be problematic in Malaysia... :Dah: But English is far more widely spoken...Malaysia was a British colony until 1957 so many British systems like COMMON LAW were pretty much carried over...Most everyone speaks English to some degree at least...They drive on the WRONG side of the road... :( English TV, newspapers, etc are all the norm...Conracts are written in English so when you buy property you can actually read it...And you buy most property FREEHOLD...You own it lock, stock and barrel...So how much demand there would be for an independent English school I have no idea...Perhaps not much... :( Best of luck with your adventure... :D

I'm still looking at other possibilities, I'd rather stay in China as I think everyone would. Yunnan looks quite nice, possibly further south of Kunming, Yuxi maybe? Its developing fast and not THAT huge compared to the other big city's right now its population is only around 3 million. And looks like a nice temperate place with no huge natural disasters happening. Quiet, possible market for English teaching etc... Hmn, right now our plan is for me to finish school by 2013 and head back to America for 5 or so years to save up some money to start the little venture depending on how the economy is and the exchange rate. Maybe we wont need to, but I think she really wants to experience it.

I could definitely use your skills tsap when it comes to making my home, I do want it to be somewhat American... which is to say... built with out all the new materials being scratched and cracked as they are being placed.. I want to build it my self but I have no experience :P

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)

I'm still looking at other possibilities, I'd rather stay in China as I think everyone would. Yunnan looks quite nice, possibly further south of Kunming, Yuxi maybe? Its developing fast and not THAT huge compared to the other big city's right now its population is only around 3 million. And looks like a nice temperate place with no huge natural disasters happening. Quiet, possible market for English teaching etc...

Have you by any chance read my stuff on Yuxi???

Lu Li and I bought an apartment there in 2006...We love the place and the apartment is really nice with huge windows...Laopo is in China now and will be checking out Yuxi in a few weeks again...I am sold on the smaller China cities route for living...Well if you haven't read my thread on it check it out... :D It's under something like the wild and wooly west, Yunnan here in the MK... B)

BTW...Do you smoke??? :lol:

I haven't, thats good to hear you like it there! I'll try and find your post in the MK, no smoking here, not even dad :-) were both "health conscious" just like feeling good really.

Ah well that's too bad because Yuxi is kind of famous for smokes... :lol: B) :D and really everybody has to die of something... :D

Indeed we do, I'll just go a little later and in my sleep puhahaha.

After looking at the prices and the possible price jump by the time we can get a down payment on a loan, I think its more than possible for us Hurrah! Right now the plan is to do a loan with a large down payment after I graduate, rent it out while we are away and when we come back make it "mint" B) :lol: after paying it off while working in America of course.

Then later, possibly buy a larger property for the school further away from the city center to teach English, a villa of some sorts? I'll be reading your posts about buying your homes once were back in Tianjin. I have a lot of homework to do.

(I guess it logged me on with samantha's? O_o)

Edited by samanthaguo (see edit history)

I'm still looking at other possibilities, I'd rather stay in China as I think everyone would. Yunnan looks quite nice, possibly further south of Kunming, Yuxi maybe? Its developing fast and not THAT huge compared to the other big city's right now its population is only around 3 million. And looks like a nice temperate place with no huge natural disasters happening. Quiet, possible market for English teaching etc... Hmn, right now our plan is for me to finish school by 2013 and head back to America for 5 or so years to save up some money to start the little venture depending on how the economy is and the exchange rate. Maybe we wont need to, but I think she really wants to experience it.

I could definitely use your skills tsap when it comes to making my home, I do want it to be somewhat American... which is to say... built with out all the new materials being scratched and cracked as they are being placed.. I want to build it my self but I have no experience :D

Carl, while I'm in China we plan to travel quite a bit and see different cities, of course that means I'll want to meet other CFLers. I'd be happy to help you if the circumstances worked out. I'm gonna be checking out building suppy shops in our area to see what is out there, and I'd like to go out with a crew and see how they do things with all that concrete...heck, I'm used to furrin' out concrete walls and hangin' drywall.

I'm already missing my 12" chopsaw, my drills and sawzall, and circular saw...and the challenge of takin' shit and makin' shine-ola out of it. With wood, I can do anything, run wires, and do the plumbing.

Chinese building looks like you need a jack hammer to make channels for the wires and become good at staying on your knees while you set ceramic tiles and then install them on the walls...and then you need to be a good plasterer...I'd recommend you go out with an old guy who does walls and learn his trade......

Who am I kiddin'? I'm gonna be like tsap seui in Wonderland in the magical rabbit hole....I'll be lucky to even come up for air...I'll shaddup now. ;)

tsap seui

I could definitely use your skills tsap when it comes to making my home, I do want it to be somewhat American... which is to say... built with out all the new materials being scratched and cracked as they are being placed.. I want to build it my self but I have no experience :D

Carl, while I'm in China we plan to travel quite a bit and see different cities, of course that means I'll want to meet other CFLers. I'd be happy to help you if the circumstances worked out. I'm gonna be checking out building suppy shops in our area to see what is out there, and I'd like to go out with a crew and see how they do things with all that concrete...heck, I'm used to furrin' out concrete walls and hangin' drywall.

I'm already missing my 12" chopsaw, my drills and sawzall, and circular saw...and the challenge of takin' shit and makin' shine-ola out of it. With wood, I can do anything, run wires, and do the plumbing.

Chinese building looks like you need a jack hammer to make channels for the wires and become good at staying on your knees while you set ceramic tiles and then install them on the walls...and then you need to be a good plasterer...I'd recommend you go out with an old guy who does walls and learn his trade......

Who am I kiddin'? I'm gonna be like tsap seui in Wonderland in the magical rabbit hole....I'll be lucky to even come up for air...I'll shaddup now. ;)

tsap seui

So what kinda magic could ya work in this outhouse (inside of course)

http://i42.tinypic.com/26400ts.jpg

I could definitely use your skills tsap when it comes to making my home, I do want it to be somewhat American... which is to say... built with out all the new materials being scratched and cracked as they are being placed.. I want to build it my self but I have no experience :lol:

Who am I kiddin'? I'm gonna be like tsap seui in Wonderland in the magical rabbit hole....I'll be lucky to even come up for air...I'll shaddup now. :lol:

tsap seui

Being a westerner I would need 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's and some furring strips...the Chinese worker would look at this and see, sand, bricks, and tons of mortar...I'll have to pass on this one. :D

tsap seui

I could definitely use your skills tsap when it comes to making my home, I do want it to be somewhat American... which is to say... built with out all the new materials being scratched and cracked as they are being placed.. I want to build it my self but I have no experience :P

Who am I kiddin'? I'm gonna be like tsap seui in Wonderland in the magical rabbit hole....I'll be lucky to even come up for air...I'll shaddup now. :huh:

tsap seui

Being a westerner I would need 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's and some furring strips...the Chinese worker would look at this and see, sand, bricks, and tons of mortar...I'll have to pass on this one. :lol:

tsap seui

Geez this is too simple...2 words... :lol:

WHITE TILES... :D Think acres and acres of white tiles and you understand China... :jerry: