Adding wife to my accounts

Running into 2 snags so far. Florida Power and Light will not add her to account unless we close account, provide wife's financial data, pay large deposit, and open new account. Mortgage company will not either without wife's financials. (which do not exist) I suspect the same from credit card companies. Haven't tried title company yet, but that may be ok. Bank accounts should be ok too. Not sure about home phone or cell phone yet.

Does anyone know what is REALLY necessary in order to appease the nice folks at USCIS for AOS interview? I really want to add my wife for our/her sake, (she's my wife!!!!) but I understand these companies concerns about financial responsibility and liability.

How much should I push, and be a pain in the butt with those that refuse? I don't mind. This process has made me very good at it. : )

Thank you all!!!

Running into 2 snags so far. Florida Power and Light will not add her to account unless we close account, provide wife's financial data, pay large deposit, and open new account. Mortgage company will not either without wife's financials. (which do not exist) I suspect the same from credit card companies. Haven't tried title company yet, but that may be ok. Bank accounts should be ok too. Not sure about home phone or cell phone yet.

Does anyone know what is REALLY necessary in order to appease the nice folks at USCIS for AOS interview? I really want to add my wife for our/her sake, (she's my wife!!!!) but I understand these companies concerns about financial responsibility and liability.

How much should I push, and be a pain in the butt with those that refuse? I don't mind. This process has made me very good at it. : )

Thank you all!!!

we have started the same thing. You can give a card with her name on credit card account with little trouble. I wonder also hope much is really needed.

Try these things:

Joint bank account

Insurance cards

Sam's Club membership cards (his and hers)

Car titled in both names

Cell phone bill in both names.

Utility companies are squirrely, forget them.

You can hit a furniture company and buy something on credit, insist on a joint account. We did a 0% rate for 18 months and paid it off after 2, but we had a joint account. It also helped my wife establish some credit.

You've haven't been married long enough to have too many things setup and this is enough for now. Remember they are granting conditional residency to see if you make it 2 years together.

You can change the title to your home by filing a quit claim deed adding your spouse, the mortgage company can't do much about that. But you will then get your property tax bill in both names. I'd hold off on using this for evidence for AOS, you need something to present at removal of conditions.

Mark,

Now that you're married, have Fang added to your home title. If she is not going to be used for financials on the mortgage, which I doubt now anyway at least put her name on the title. We did this Tuesday. Easy.

Our power company and phone company added her name to both accounts, but the bills only arrive in mine as I am the one who will be solely responsible for payment.

Open a joint checking/savings account together. We are waiting for 2 year GC since it will have her new name change on it prior to us opening the joint accounts.

Did get a credit card in her new name through one of my credit card providers. No problem. Try this also.

Added her to my insurance and got cards.

You are on the right track. Glad to see you back posting once again.

Congrats on your Bio appointment.

We know you are both well. We are also. Please tell Fang Wen Li says hello!

Clayton & Wen Li

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)

Mark,

Now that you're married, have Fang added to your home title. If she is not going to be used for financials on the mortgage, which I doubt now anyway at least put her name on the title. We did this Tuesday. Easy.

Our power company and phone company added her name to both accounts, but the bills only arrive in mine as I am the one who will be solely responsible for payment.

Open a joint checking/savings account together. We are waiting for 2 year GC since it will have her new name change on it prior to us opening the joint accounts.

Did get a credit card in her new name through one of my credit card providers. No problem. Try this also.

Added her to my insurance and got cards.

You are on the right track. Glad to see you back posting once again.

Congrats on your Bio appointment.

We know you are both well. We are also. Please tell Fang Wen Li says hello!

Clayton & Wen Li

Fang says HI too!!! Thanks for the nice wishes and info! Best to you too always. : )

Lao Po got the AOS 2 year GC with out interview.

You may be a little more concerned than is warranted. We have joint bank accounts, we now have some joint investments, she is on the title to her car. She is not on the title to the house, she is not on the utility bills, she is not on the mortgage. All reasonable, I think.

I don't think you need to go to financial extremes to have a successful AOS.

We're having some of the same issues. One thing we just did this week was go to Macy's and sign up for their credit card. They practically tackle you in the store to get you to sign up for one of those things,telling you you'll get 15% off your purchases blah,blah,blah. I hate that usually, but in this case it actually works out pretty well for folks in our situation.

We only had to fill out the name and phone # part of the app. They send you the card in the mail and give you a receipt to show to get the 15% until it comes. The catch is that since she has no credit history, the limit is $200 to start. But they said that if we use it and pay it off on time for three months, then they raise the limit.

So it's a pretty painless way to get a credit card in her name and to start building a credit history. ;)

We're having some of the same issues. One thing we just did this week was go to Macy's and sign up for their credit card. They practically tackle you in the store to get you to sign up for one of those things,telling you you'll get 15% off your purchases blah,blah,blah. I hate that usually, but in this case it actually works out pretty well for folks in our situation.

We only had to fill out the name and phone # part of the app. They send you the card in the mail and give you a receipt to show to get the 15% until it comes. The catch is that since she has no credit history, the limit is $200 to start. But they said that if we use it and pay it off on time for three months, then they raise the limit.

So it's a pretty painless way to get a credit card in her name and to start building a credit history. ;)

. . . and this is an actual VISA credit card that can be used anywhere. Macy's is Jiaying's favorite clothing store

Thank you all!!!

Hey Michael, good question!!! :)

We are going to do the following:

-State ID

-ssn#

-add to bank account

-health and dental insurance

-life insurance and my beneficiary

-add card to my Discover easy to do

-YMCA/gym memebership

-get married, license or something like that :D

-utilities, a pain

- cell for both my girls and their own account numbers

-reciepts for work gloves and clothes!!!! ;) Just kidding honey

-Just in time to add my girls to the church register and have pictures taken for it

-ESL classes and receipt for them

Most just normal stuff I am doing anyway, hope it helps and hope all is well, be starting on Sunday to cach up to you and the Mrs.!! B)

Dave goes to Macy's in Chicago, my feng will get a Wally World card here in Sycamore and like it!! :)

So it's a pretty painless way to get a credit card in her name and to start building a credit history. :cheering:

. . . and this is an actual VISA credit card that can be used anywhere. Macy's is Jiaying's favorite clothing store

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Thanks Randy. Christine doesn't get a lot of her clothers there, but man can she drop the $$$ at the Estee Lauder counter. :cheering:

So it's a pretty painless way to get a credit card in her name and to start building a credit history. :cheering:

Dave goes to Macy's in Chicago, my feng will get a Wally World card here in Sycamore and like it!! :toot:

Mark, you're in luck old buddy. There's a Macy's in Joliet too. That's not all that far for you. I'll have Christine get in touch with feng and give her the particulars. :toot:

You're welcome. :cheering:

Crazy what some companies require and others overlook.

Our gas, electric and garbage companies added Pingxiu to the account and bills come on both names. She was on all bank accounts, several credit cards, one of the car loans, car title and auto insurance.

You don't need to go crazy, but need to show that she lives with you (bills in both names help). Also, they want to see that you are starting to mingle finances. We had an interview for AOS, but I wouldn't count this as what to expect. Lisa was pregnant, so it was a slam dunk. No questions at all for the interview. I did see him pay a lot of attention to our file. It looked as though he was looking the bank statements, credit card and utility bills I submitted as evidence.

Later for removal of conditions they will expect to see an increase in co-mingling of finances. This is when I added her to the home title. Also refinanced, so she is on the mortgage. No interview for removal.

So, don't worry too much just get as much done as you can before interview and make sure you do some more later.

Thank you all so much!!!! Great info and guidance as always!!!! Wish I could add my wife to work health insurance but cost prohibitive right now. Mine with work's Aetna (medical, dental, vision) $23/week...add Fang...$120/week. Can't do it right now but looking into outside company. Suggestions welcome!!!

Thanks again everyone. : )