Blogging from Baoding

Had another request from the local police to check in... they are really keep tabs on foreigner here.. I assume it's about 1 or 2 in this city :yahoo:

Curious. What form do these "requests" take? Do they come and find you or what? Fascinating.

For this request, I'm not sure since it was not a house visit... so I guess they called either my wife or her sister... I simply got a message that they needed my passport to go check in. Look at the visa page and say, "hao de". Although it wasn't necessary that I be present, so jie jie took my passport.

"Hao de"...same same "howdy"?

tsap seui

except your's means 'nice to see you'... and mine is after confirmation and 'get out of my face now' :lol:

On our last visit to the homeland we spent 9 days in laopo's Hunan hometown...After about 4 days we received a summons at our hotel to report to the police station...I had no idea what was going on but I did know that there is a nearby NUKE base so it is a sensitive area... :toot: When we arrived Laopo rounded up her squad of police friends before we arrived at the said office... :yahoo: :yahoo: :toot: Once inside the interrogation team... :yahoo: :whip: realized they were outmaneauvered by my wife and quietly surrendered...One of them wrote out the CORRECT answers to the questions I was never asked and I was allowed to CONFESS to my crimes...We were told that if we had not been so well connected I would have had to pay a number of Chairman Mao's to the POLICEMAN'S BENEVOLENT SOCIETY... :yahoo: And in the old days I would have had my camera confiscated... :o In the future I must first report to the police when we stay in town...Oh right and lunch for all was on me... :eatyum: :drunk:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

April 17

Today I had a date :huh:

A lady asked me to join her to go to yoga and then lunch :mellow: So I went B)

After all, what could be better than being in a room full of chinese ladies (men rarely do yoga here) sweating and grunting... :lol:

Did I mention that this lady asked my wife for permission :huh: and my wife said, ok... :blush:

Then my wife called me while we were having lunch and asked if I could come quickly to the photo studio where she and 4 other ladies were having pictures done.. she tempted me with, 'come and take pictures with 5 beautiful ladies'... of course, that made my date a little upset to have her time with me infringed on... so my wife decided that it was just best to come and join us for lunch... :wacko:

Did I mention that this lady is one of my wife's best friends... :P and then we set another date for next week... :rolleyes:

On our last excursion to the homeland I was enjoying a massage from a young masseuse in a beautifully appointed private room... :D and about 2/3 of the way through my wife showed up to watch the activities... :unsure: No Chinese woman really trusts her husband with any other Chinese woman... :rolleyes:

On our last excursion to the homeland I was enjoying a massage from a young masseuse in a beautifully appointed private room... :D and about 2/3 of the way through my wife showed up to watch the activities... :unsure: No Chinese woman really trusts her husband with any other Chinese woman... :rolleyes:

my wife always makes sure it is a double room with her on the next table.

April 17

Today I had a date :D

A lady asked me to join her to go to yoga and then lunch :rolleyes: So I went :cheering:

After all, what could be better than being in a room full of chinese ladies (men rarely do yoga here) sweating and grunting... :unsure:

I have always found Yoga class good for this. Even in the US yoga classes are mostly female. Plus, v-neck tops are great at yoga on during many of the poses.

I joined a gym which costs 100 yuan a month.. the place where the friends takes me to yoga is considerably higher, and is almost void of members (except yoga and lao wei).

The gym I go to is often packed; after 6:00pm you cannot get one of the 20 treadmills...

Having participated in multiple sports in my youth, done plenty of weight lighting and coached for many years... it's very interesting to see those in the gym and what they focus on. I began to wonder where the muscular guys buy their clothes since everything I find is cut for straight and thin chinese; not for "V" shaped bodies.

I like to use the speed bikes but I don't ride it like I'm Lance Armstrong, which most of the ladies can do.. I guess after riding a bike back and forth to work for 5+ miles, they want to do mach 3 on a bike!

The main thing I notice is that the guys have little experience on weights and machines; one guy likes to throw the bar/weights straight out in front of him in sets, as fast as he can... that might come in handy if a car comes your way and you want to push back on the car... but it's an illogical exercise IMO. Anyway, after being away from any exercise for almost 3 years, it's a godsend to be back in a gym... and I suddenly like yoga...

I joined a gym which costs 100 yuan a month.. the place where the friends takes me to yoga is considerably higher, and is almost void of members (except yoga and lao wei).

The gym I go to is often packed; after 6:00pm you cannot get one of the 20 treadmills...

Having participated in multiple sports in my youth, done plenty of weight lighting and coached for many years... it's very interesting to see those in the gym and what they focus on. I began to wonder where the muscular guys buy their clothes since everything I find is cut for straight and thin chinese; not for "V" shaped bodies.

I like to use the speed bikes but I don't ride it like I'm Lance Armstrong, which most of the ladies can do.. I guess after riding a bike back and forth to work for 5+ miles, they want to do mach 3 on a bike!

The main thing I notice is that the guys have little experience on weights and machines; one guy likes to throw the bar/weights straight out in front of him in sets, as fast as he can... that might come in handy if a car comes your way and you want to push back on the car... but it's an illogical exercise IMO. Anyway, after being away from any exercise for almost 3 years, it's a godsend to be back in a gym... and I suddenly like yoga...

Nautilus always stressed the 4 second push and 10 second release. A lot of work has been done to show the advantage of the slow lift and release for strength improvement. Combined with Yoga it should really help you. Right now I only go to Yoga one night a week, in my old town i was able to 3 nights a week.

Nautilus always stressed the 4 second push and 10 second release. A lot of work has been done to show the advantage of the slow lift and release for strength improvement. Combined with Yoga it should really help you. Right now I only go to Yoga one night a week, in my old town i was able to 3 nights a week.

They don't have Nautilus here, but I've used that in the past... I tend to mix between high set repetition, resistance training (slow on the down--fast on the up, and regular sets. but I'm not interested in strength anymore, I'd rather be flexibly stronger). They yoga is much more difficult than I expected, meaning strength-wise, not just postures; kind of strength balancing. I'm hoping to stick with this as I don't have the energy to get up so early to do tai chi.. so I've decided to drop that idea; seems my clock has truly turned around; I'm anti-morning here now!

They don't have Nautilus here, but I've used that in the past... I tend to mix between high set repetition, resistance training (slow on the down--fast on the up, and regular sets. but I'm not interested in strength anymore, I'd rather be flexibly stronger). They yoga is much more difficult than I expected, meaning strength-wise, not just postures; kind of strength balancing. I'm hoping to stick with this as I don't have the energy to get up so early to do tai chi.. so I've decided to drop that idea; seems my clock has truly turned around; I'm anti-morning here now!

Do 10 or more sun salutations and that will give you a good start to the work out. Plus, they have few othes that will give you a good strength building with blance. I greatly imporve my fitness just with yoga, including cardio. Many people think Yoga does not help cardio but it does. My favorite is praying tree pose.

Do 10 or more sun salutations and that will give you a good start to the work out. Plus, they have few othes that will give you a good strength building with blance. I greatly imporve my fitness just with yoga, including cardio. Many people think Yoga does not help cardio but it does. My favorite is praying tree pose.

When I made the tai chi rounds a few weeks ago, there are many who take the tree prayer seriously; in front of a tree... and those who do tree shouting (to improve the lungs)...

Anyways, since I have bad knees, the yoga is hard on them. I cannot even sit cross legged very long... But since most of the movements are not that long in duration, it is a good way to build up my knee tolerance too eventually higher levels and maybe longer postures.

The other problem is my lack of flexibility from hips to shoulders... It must be a pathetic sight from behind me to see a body in such disrepair...

When I made the tai chi rounds a few weeks ago, there are many who take the tree prayer seriously; in front of a tree... and those who do tree shouting (to improve the lungs)...

Anyways, since I have bad knees, the yoga is hard on them. I cannot even sit cross legged very long... But since most of the movements are not that long in duration, it is a good way to build up my knee tolerance too eventually higher levels and maybe longer postures.

The other problem is my lack of flexibility from hips to shoulders... It must be a pathetic sight from behind me to see a body in such disrepair...

The amazing thing with yoga is that you can see your own progress from one day to another.

[The other problem is my lack of flexibility from hips to shoulders... It must be a pathetic sight from behind me to see a body in such disrepair...

That is why you do yoga, it is the Dao, a path to travel. You never reach the end, and never measured yourself against others just do it. If no flexibility today than maybe more tomarrow.