Blogging from Baoding

June 5

I'm back in the US... with delays in both BJ and Chicago it took over 25 hours to get home, much waiting in airports.

I haven't written anything in a while and had hoped to write some concluding piece before leaving but it has been a whirlwind the last week; most of which I cannot write about and is hard to believe anyways still.

In brief, the cast of characters I meet expanded further and further... two examples:

- I meet the 'stone face killer' again; this time he was drunk and full of merriment; turns out he is friends with the boss of a brothal... and introductions around... Since I had already meet the killer's gf, I then wondered if she was really just working at the house of 'xiao jie' or not (local name for lady for hire).

-someone calls my wife says he meet me at the doctor's massage office and wants to eat together; She calls me and says 8 people are waiting for me at a restaurant; Quickly went there. He turns out to be a cop. He wants my wife to be the "godmother" to his daughter (most likely to somehow get a ticket for the daughter to the US in the future; my wife declined). As appears Baoding custom, every man wanted to drink too much with me; since I came directly from the gym to this lunch, it didn't take much to get my head spinning.

My last few nights were spent going out with anyone who wanted to and usually getting home after 2am. The last night was only intended to walk around Baoding and say goodbye to a few people and eat with friends. It turns out two friends canceled and I was with one guy. We went to visit the 'drinking master' friend; I said we'd share two bottles with him and we needed to visit others; 10 bottles of beer later and a bottle of bai jiu, we're off into the night.

The bottom line is, it's probably good I'm out of Baoding for various reasons, mostly to save my liver; although my head and heart are still there. Life is easier to live, friends are easier to find, and everything is obviously cheaper. I also found alot of activities to do and despite all the festive meals and nights out, I actually lost weight.

I'll mostly miss:

- The ease with which to walk everywhere and never feel like I need a car.

- Going out to eat at any hour of the night (or day) and being able to meet someone new.

- Going to the gym and playing pool and soccer (about 200+ people who show up everyday at one particular University to play pickup soccer).

- About 5 specific people/friends

- Donkey and dog meat, and a few other dishes

What I'll most likely miss the least:

- Lack of hot water for washing, shaving, showering. Although I got a little used to it.

- Swatter toilet; my knees and back are not amiable for such postures;

- Also will not miss yoga for same reason; too hard on some of my bad joints.

A measure of how much one likes another place may not only be measured in how much they truly like being there but how much they truly don't feel any desire to return to their place of origin. In fact, other than a requirement of my work, I can not think of a single reason I would return to the US.

Of course, if I take a longer vision of the future, my wife can make more money and ultimately we save it all faster both working in the US. She was so busy on this trip (twice leaving Baoding for about a total of 14 days) and accomplished so much in terms of furthering her goals in both china and the US, that I became very accustomed to being on my own and eventually some referred to me as a "local man".

This may be the contrast with my existence in the US where I am truly a local man but actually is where I feel much more alone. It seems in Boading, even as a foreigner, it's very hard to be alone; too many people are ultimately going to make friends with you.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I'm in one piece or not... but I am back...

My heads is at times in a little fog but surprisingly I have almost no effect from the time change... it may be because we were so delayed that we didn't arrive home till 5am and then we only slept a few hours; was up till the night for a regular sleep... next day (today), I got tired around 5pm but went for a swim instead of sleeping.

I would say that the first thing that bothered me upon my return is having to spend so much time in a car to just get anything done.... that and having to actual buy groceries and to cook something was a real pain :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I'm in one piece or not... but I am back...

My heads is at times in a little fog but surprisingly I have almost no effect from the time change... it may be because we were so delayed that we didn't arrive home till 5am and then we only slept a few hours; was up till the night for a regular sleep... next day (today), I got tired around 5pm but went for a swim instead of sleeping.

I would say that the first thing that bothered me upon my return is having to spend so much time in a car to just get anything done.... that and having to actual buy groceries and to cook something was a real pain :)

I can certainly understand the time in a car being an issue. :lol: This is one of the things I miss about China as well! Can't wait to turn in my keys to the car. :D