Travel Alert for China

When I started traveling to China 3 years ago, I signed up with the State Dept to get travel alerts for China......which includes email alerts whenever one was issued. This is the first time in the 3 years I have received any alerts.

Since it includes some China provinces, I thought I would post it for the benefit of anyone traveling to the noted provinces. Ken

March 21, 2008

This Travel Alert is being issued to update U.S. citizens to safety and security concerns in China ¡¯s Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR) as well as the neighboring provinces of Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu and Qinghai . American citizens in Tibet, especially in Lhasa , are advised to avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place. American citizens should defer travel to Tibet at this time. This supersedes the Travel Alert for China dated March 15, 2008 and expires on April 21, 2008.

On March 14, violence erupted following peaceful demonstrations in the city of Lhasa . Scattered violence continues in Lhasa and protests, some of them resulting in violence, have been reported in parts of Sichuan, Gansu, Qinghai, and Yunnan provinces. Currently, there is a significant increased security presence in many Tibetan areas of China , including Tibetan communities outside of the Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR). Chinese authorities have restricted tourist and other travel to Tibet and other affected areas.

American consular personnel have not yet been granted access to the TAR or other affected areas, and therefore assistance to American citizens in those areas may be limited.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, and Travel Warnings can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. or Canada, or, for callers outside the U.S. and Canada , a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The U.S. Embassy in Beijing can be reached 24 hours per day at 86-10-6532-3431. The addresses and telephone contact information for the U.S. Embassy and Consulates are at the bottom of this announcement.

U.S. citizens residing or traveling in China are reminded to register with the U.S. Embassy or closest U.S. Consulate by entering your travel itinerary and contact information at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/home.asp. In case of difficulties registering online, please contact the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

U.S. Embassy Beijing : tel. 86-10-6532-3431

U.S. Consulate General Chengdu : tel. 86-28-8558-3992

U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou : tel. 86-20-8518-7605

U.S. Consulate General Shanghai: tel. 86-21-3217-4650

U.S. Consulate General Shenyang : tel. 86-24-2322-1198

When I started traveling to China 3 years ago, I signed up with the State Dept to get travel alerts for China......which includes email alerts whenever one was issued. This is the first time in the 3 years I have received any alerts.

Since it includes some China provinces, I thought I would post it for the benefit of anyone traveling to the noted provinces. Ken

March 21, 2008

This Travel Alert is being issued to update U.S. citizens to safety and security concerns in China ¡¯s Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR) as well as the neighboring provinces of Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu and Qinghai . American citizens in Tibet, especially in Lhasa , are advised to avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place. American citizens should defer travel to Tibet at this time. This supersedes the Travel Alert for China dated March 15, 2008 and expires on April 21, 2008.

On March 14, violence erupted following peaceful demonstrations in the city of Lhasa . Scattered violence continues in Lhasa and protests, some of them resulting in violence, have been reported in parts of Sichuan, Gansu, Qinghai, and Yunnan provinces. Currently, there is a significant increased security presence in many Tibetan areas of China , including Tibetan communities outside of the Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR). Chinese authorities have restricted tourist and other travel to Tibet and other affected areas.

American consular personnel have not yet been granted access to the TAR or other affected areas, and therefore assistance to American citizens in those areas may be limited.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, and Travel Warnings can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. or Canada, or, for callers outside the U.S. and Canada , a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The U.S. Embassy in Beijing can be reached 24 hours per day at 86-10-6532-3431. The addresses and telephone contact information for the U.S. Embassy and Consulates are at the bottom of this announcement.

U.S. citizens residing or traveling in China are reminded to register with the U.S. Embassy or closest U.S. Consulate by entering your travel itinerary and contact information at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/home.asp. In case of difficulties registering online, please contact the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

U.S. Embassy Beijing : tel. 86-10-6532-3431

U.S. Consulate General Chengdu : tel. 86-28-8558-3992

U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou : tel. 86-20-8518-7605

U.S. Consulate General Shanghai: tel. 86-21-3217-4650

U.S. Consulate General Shenyang : tel. 86-24-2322-1198

I'm not sure what this sentence implies:

"On March 14, violence erupted following peaceful demonstrations in the city of Lhasa."

How can demonstrations be peaceful when the demonstrators set fire to everything and everybody in their path?

I'm not sure what this sentence implies:

"On March 14, violence erupted following peaceful demonstrations in the city of Lhasa."

How can demonstrations be peaceful when the demonstrators set fire to everything and everybody in their path?

Our State Department can't control access to presidential candidate passport information in their own damned building. How can they POSSIBLY know what's going on in Tibet?

If our government doesn't wise up, we will make even more enemies than we already have.

I'm not saying the travel advisory is wrong; only a fool would travel to Tibet right now, but the slant in the Advisory is just too obvious.

It will be interesting to see where this goes??

Don't worry.

Just US propaganda.

Anybody visit LA during the Rodney King riots? :lol:

Duh....... :lol:

Yes, as a matter of fact. After arriving in L.A. from Northern California, on one of several C-130’s out of Mather AFB, on the afternoon of day two (April 30th), and then being deployed immediately on the 'line', as the level of civil unrest/anarchy and violence continued to escalate; and for the next 12 days thereafter, before flying back home to Sacramento. A life and emotional experience on many levels, which I will never forget. :lol:

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

The US State Dept. issues warnings anytime there is danger to American citizens working and traveling abroad. If Iwas going or living in a overseas country and there was trouble I sure would want to know about it. Remember the hostage crisis in 1979 in Iran to name a few.