China's hi-ways are still the unsafest in the world

Guest Tony n Terrific

It certainly can be a wild ride sometimes there. :beer:

Some vehicles are obviously not meant to be on the roads and some roads are not meant for vehicles. Of course there are sidewalks that are not meant for some vehicles either :P ! I found myself on the street dodging trucks and cars on the sidewalks. I sort of got used to the varying types of motorcycles... at least they usually used horns. Must be goats?

Then there are very few who actually wear seat belts. We ran across a number of taxis that the seat belts were inoperable or cut out too. Although being thrown around in a bus was not always my cup of tea, it was a hell of a lot safer in most cases.

Sad truth is, I can not see it getting better anytime soon? :huh:

Guest Tony n Terrific

It certainly can be a wild ride sometimes there. :D

Some vehicles are obviously not meant to be on the roads and some roads are not meant for vehicles. Of course there are sidewalks that are not meant for some vehicles either :( ! I found myself on the street dodging trucks and cars on the sidewalks. I sort of got used to the varying types of motorcycles... at least they usually used horns. Must be goats?

Then there are very few who actually wear seat belts. We ran across a number of taxis that the seat belts were inoperable or cut out too. Although being thrown around in a bus was not always my cup of tea, it was a hell of a lot safer in most cases.

Sad truth is, I can not see it getting better anytime soon? :D

I think the most dangerous occupation in China would be riding double on a Mo-Ped. They love to tailgate you.

I assume this is not restricted to privately owned vehicles which is often the number provided for vehicles in china, particularly since so many ride in buses...

I think bus accidents cause the counts to raise very quickly, which would be true in any country where a bus is involved in fatalities.... but the frequenty of bus use and accidents is much higher in china.

As for riding on the back of a moped in china.. no greater thrill.. and ease of travel since you can use the sidewalks and park anywhere ;)

I am not sure of the stat-base that the AP reporter is using/quoting herein ??

In the USA (all states), the official Mileage Death Rate (MDR) is always calculated as deaths per 100 Million miles of travel. Not by registered vehicle, as is the case here.

In the US, a death is counted, for statistical purposes, only if it occurs within 30 days of the incident/collision. A person who dies of injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident, after 30 days, does not get entered into the data base as a fatality.

I am not sure of the stat-base that the AP reporter is using/quoting herein ??

In the USA (all states), the official Mileage Death Rate (MDR) is always calculated as deaths per 100 Million miles of travel. Not by registered vehicle, as is the case here.

In the US, a death is counted, for statistical purposes, only if it occurs within 30 days of the incident/collision. A person who dies of injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident, after 30 days, does not get entered into the data base as a fatality.

yes, VMT (vehicle miles traveled) is used in alot of traffic stats but this is not readily available for china as far as I know.. and another thing about fatal counting: this does not include private property or work zone occurrences but on public trafficways.

It certainly can be a wild ride sometimes there. :o

Some vehicles are obviously not meant to be on the roads and some roads are not meant for vehicles. Of course there are sidewalks that are not meant for some vehicles either :D ! I found myself on the street dodging trucks and cars on the sidewalks. I sort of got used to the varying types of motorcycles... at least they usually used horns. Must be goats?

Sad truth is, I can not see it getting better anytime soon? :(

I think the most dangerous occupation in China would be riding double on a Mo-Ped. They love to tailgate you.

They beep like crazy when travelling in the same lane with me, except that I got 8 little wheels. Did a 20 KM this morning in the rush hour around Puxi in Shanghai by myself. Quite a thrill.

two weeks ago, we had 100 strong rolling on the streets in Shanghai and 5 were taken to the police station when 100 pairs of roller started a wild race with police on Mopeds. Well, 6 of them mopeds plus two police cruisers won the race. 2 french, one german and two Chinese nationals were taken and scolded at for over an hour and let go.

when we went to visit Lian Yun Gang (hubby's family) a farm city, never seen foriegners before or not often (hated the stares and glares lol) but yeah they do NOT know how to drive...and the point of stop lights.....might as well remove them, no one follows them and i think every time we drive through there I had multiple heart atacks hahahaha.

Also when we brought our son I put the car seat base in and our son in the car seat and they all raised their eyebrows.....'whats that?' :huh: :blink: :blink: :blink: they dont use car seats to tansport their kids just hold them :o talk about dangerous! :D

I rode motorcycles b4 i got married and considered myself pretty reckless along with my buddies. China scares me. Dumbest thing i saw was 5 person on a motorcycle, 4 adults and what looks like a 1-2 year old kid sitting on the gas tank, dunno how they do it.