moving to china?

If I wanted to live and work in China for a couple of years. Which visa do I apply for? I'm not necessarily sure I can find work when I can't speak the language, but I sure would like to try. :D

Not at all different from the norm... :lol: You're only in the wrong forum...Try The Middle Kingdom... ;)

If I wanted to live and work in China for a couple of years. Which visa do I apply for? I'm not necessarily sure I can find work when I can't speak the language, but I sure would like to try. :blink:

If you are working in China, their is only one legal visa to work on the "Z". You need to have been hired by a company and they will/should apply for the visa for you. Sounds like you will be teaching english most likely, work for non citizens is legally restricted to certain areas. (things locals can't do basically. it is unallowed to take jobs away from citizens or some such.) My advice (and what I did) come on a tourist (L) and look around then decide what and where you are going to be doing things, ad switch visas later.

If I wanted to live and work in China for a couple of years. Which visa do I apply for? I'm not necessarily sure I can find work when I can't speak the language, but I sure would like to try. :rolleyes:

If you are working in China, their is only one legal visa to work on the "Z". You need to have been hired by a company and they will/should apply for the visa for you. Sounds like you will be teaching english most likely, work for non citizens is legally restricted to certain areas. (things locals can't do basically. it is unallowed to take jobs away from citizens or some such.) My advice (and what I did) come on a tourist (L) and look around then decide what and where you are going to be doing things, ad switch visas later.

BrandeX, let me welcome you to CFL...................

Also it sounds like you have some knowledge in getting a teaching job in China. I would like to hear more about this from your point of view and knowledge.

I taught English in China for 6 months (that why I met my SO) and I set up the job before I went via directly contacting the university. However, they did want my Bachelors degree certificate first. That being said, there were people teaching there who didn't have one, buuuut, it wasn't "legal". Anyway I went over on a tourist and they changed it once I got there.

Guest Rob & Jin

What is a Bachelors degree certificate ?

I have my undergrad degree, but I don't have a certificate.

its the paper you can put on the wall, if your vain :)

If I wanted to live and work in China for a couple of years. Which visa do I apply for? I'm not necessarily sure I can find work when I can't speak the language, but I sure would like to try. :)

BrandeX, let me welcome you to CFL...................

Also it sounds like you have some knowledge in getting a teaching job in China. I would like to hear more about this from your point of view and knowledge.

Me too Corbin, it might be my retirement plan some day?? :rolleyes:

I just did a little research on teaching English in China. I think they require you or would like you to be TEFL certified? Are there other types of certifications required? Is there a TEFL certification program in USA?

teflonline.com.....It is very reasonable and so far it seems to be very good IMO. My tutor is tough but fair.

I just did a little research on teaching English in China. I think they require you or would like you to be TEFL certified? Are there other types of certifications required? Is there a TEFL certification program in USA?

teflonline.com.....It is very reasonable and so far it seems to be very good IMO. My tutor is tough but fair.

I don't understand Charles... :ph34r: What does "teflon" have to do with teaching English in China??? So nothing can stick to you??? :ph34r:

I don't understand Charles... :huh: What does "teflon" have to do with teaching English in China??? So nothing can stick to you??? :ph34r:

"tefl" "online" .com

teflonline.com

:P

Edited by Corbin (see edit history)

I don't understand Charles... :huh: What does "teflon" have to do with teaching English in China??? So nothing can stick to you??? :ph34r:

"tefl" "online" .com

teflonline.com

:P

Of course...silly me...thank you Corbie... :P