I have read quite a bit of the various info here and am grateful for the stuff I've learned. Somewhere I read that it may cost as much as $30k to bring a Chinese fiancee to the U.S. My question is: Can I do this less expensively, and how much should I have before starting the process? I only make $12.60/hour so am I dreaming to think I can even do this? I have been in contact with a lady in Guangzhou and she is aware of the situation.

thanks in advance.

Guest Rob & Jin

I have read quite a bit of the various info here and am grateful for the stuff I've learned. Somewhere I read that it may cost as much as $30k to bring a Chinese fiancee to the U.S. My question is: Can I do this less expensively, and how much should I have before starting the process? I only make $12.60/hour so am I dreaming to think I can even do this? I have been in contact with a lady in Guangzhou and she is aware of the situation.

thanks in advance.

Welcome to CFL,

Dont use a marriage broker !!!!

As for the cost I'm not sure where you came up with $30 k, depends on how many trips you make, what you spend on accomodation etc.

Biggest cost is on cheetos and your nerves :lol:

I dont know how many dependants you have now, but as long as your income is 125% of the USCIS poverty line you will be ok if below you will need a co-sponser.

thanks in advance.

I think this is the current one

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

Minimum Income Requirements

You can do that on what you make. Just cannot make several trips to china a year. You need to get a web cam so when you communicate you will not go broke. Get on a cheap phone plan that will keep track on a hard copy your phone calls.You make sure she understands you are not rich before she comes here. She will have to get a job when she comes however it will be several months at least 6 before she would be allowed to work. (get green card) so you will need enough money to support yourself and her until then. So look into how much your health insurance will cost,life insurance ect that you will need . You are looking at AOS fee, plane fare to america for her things of this nature. Biggest thing is you make sure she understands your wage situation. If you need to get a part time job while you wait for her to come. Money does go out the door fast. more than you will realize.

Welcome to CFL. It damn sure isn't cheap but if you're frugal you can probably swing it. Over the course of a year it will probably cost you the price of two round trip plane tickets, around $1000 or more each, money to spend while there another probably at least $500 if you're cheap. $455 for an I-129F fiancee visa petition or $355 for an I-130 petition for a family member (wife). Then there is the fee for the interview at the consulate another $131.00, the medical examination another $130 or so. Traveling expenses to and from the consulate plus hotel and meals. figure about a 5 day stay $300 - $500 if she goes alone. If you ahve the vaccinations done in GZ it will be about $50. If she passes with no problems there will be a plane ticket to the states which will probably be at least $600. Then when she is here and you think you're tapped out there is the fee for adjustment of status $1080. All of this is on the cheap end of the scale and I'm probably missing something. On the conservative side I would estimate a bare bones minimum of about $6000 and that's with no frills.

30K wow that seems to be a bit on the very high side.

I petitioned for a K-1 for my Yu and did so for not much $$.

A few trips to China ($3,000-$4000 including Yu's trip to USA), I-129F petition Around $500-$700.

Later adjustment of status costs $1010 + some for things like vaccinations.

No where near 30K

thanks in advance.

I think this is the current one

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

Minimum Income Requirements

Keep in mind the table is for Gross income, NOT take home, so $12.60 x 35 x 52 = 23K so yes you make enough to sponsor an immigrant.

thanks in advance.

Most importantly is the means of supporting her once she arrives stateside.

Guest Tony n Terrific

It is not cheap to do this by any means of the imagination.

I just returned from China and I spent close to $3,000 for a 23 day trip. Not bad if you consider what it costs to travel on vacation here in the US. It figured out to be about $130 a day. Your biggest expense will be airfare depending on where you live at and your lifestyle when you are away. I do plan on taking a second trip again and the cost will be less because I will not have to buy a Visa, and I will not stay this long.

If you budget things out and break it down a good figure would be:

2 Visits $5,000

Gifts for your SO and

her family members 300

Flowers & etc.

Cerimonial wedding

pictures 200

Cerimonial banquet 100

129F fee 455

Med expense and

Interview fees 325

Travel Expense to

Guangzhou 5 days

2 people 350

Air travel for SO

to USA 750

AOS fee 1,010

Misc. expenses 510

______

$9,000

This is a middle of the road budget. Like Carl mentioned no frills about 6 grand.

This is not taking a wedding and reception, a wedding ring and honeymoon expenses plus the other costs that are necessary for basic living costs.

Probably all toll all things being considered you will have about $12,000 invested over a 12-15 month period.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)