The rise of petty theft in China

I was talking to lao po this morning about inflation in China, and she told me that mother-in-law has been witnessing an increase in petty theft, mostly occuring in the mornings and at dusk. She said many of the elderly are victims of purse snatching and yanking jewelry from the victim's neck. She doesn't take her purse with her anymore when walking to her morning tai-chi chuan sessions and is very cautious about withdrawing money from outside ATMs.

With inflation doubling and sometimes tripling the price of food and consumer goods, have your SO's relayed similiar information of what mother has been witnessing on the streets?

All kinds of thefts have been commonplace in China since time immemorial...Is it getting worse??? Are there reliable statistics??? Who can be sure since oral anecdotal evidence is usually not worth the paper its printed on... ;)

I'm not questioning or inquring historical statistics of crime in China. I am merely relaying an observation and perspective of a Chinese woman who is witnessing a rise of petty theft in her area and feels that inflation is directly related.

All kinds of thefts have been commonplace in China since time immemorial...Is it getting worse??? Are there reliable statistics??? Who can be sure since oral anecdotal evidence is usually not worth the paper its printed on... :blink:

I'm not questioning or inquring historical statistics of crime in China. I am merely relaying an observation and perspective of a Chinese woman who is witnessing a rise of petty theft in her area and feels that inflation is directly related.

Certainly could be...But what about the increasing gap between the rich and the poor in China??? Does your SO live in a major city with lots of migrant workers??? My wife and myself have both been the recipients of theft in China so I would never stick my head in the sand about it...But it also does not want me to change our plans to live there and travel widely...One always has to be careful of the possibility of theft occuring... ;)

The only personal tidbit that I can add is that my wife's mother won't make shopping trip outside unless she has a relative to go with her. I thought it odd at first, but had it explained to me. Some of the concern was the petty theft you speak of.

Regards ...

All kinds of thefts have been commonplace in China since time immemorial...Is it getting worse??? Are there reliable statistics??? Who can be sure since oral anecdotal evidence is usually not worth the paper its printed on... :ph34r:

Certainly could be...But what about the increasing gap between the rich and the poor in China??? Does your SO live in a major city with lots of migrant workers??? My wife and myself have both been the recipients of theft in China so I would never stick my head in the sand about it...But it also does not want me to change our plans to live there and travel widely...One always has to be careful of the possibility of theft occuring... :unsure:

Mother lives in Jiangmen, an industrialized city containing the second largest river port(Pearl) in Guangdong Province with a pop. of 3.74 million. Yes, a major city that attracts migrant workers. The last time I was there, construction of skyscapers was rampant.

Both wife and mother have also been victims of petty theft in the past, but like you, it would never deter me from traveling or living in the country. That would be the least of my worries. I just worry about our ladies being victims to such crimes.

All kinds of thefts have been commonplace in China since time immemorial...Is it getting worse??? Are there reliable statistics??? Who can be sure since oral anecdotal evidence is usually not worth the paper its printed on... :ph34r:

Certainly could be...But what about the increasing gap between the rich and the poor in China??? Does your SO live in a major city with lots of migrant workers??? My wife and myself have both been the recipients of theft in China so I would never stick my head in the sand about it...But it also does not want me to change our plans to live there and travel widely...One always has to be careful of the possibility of theft occuring... :unsure:

Mother lives in Jiangmen, an industrialized city containing the second largest river port(Pearl) in Guangdong Province with a pop. of 3.74 million. Yes, a major city that attracts migrant workers. The last time I was there, construction of skyscapers was rampant.

Both wife and mother have also been victims of petty theft in the past, but like you, it would never deter me from traveling or living in the country. That would be the least of my worries. I just worry about our ladies being victims to such crimes.

My wife was mugged coming out of the GZ train station just about exactly 3 years ago. She was knocked down by a pair of motorcycle thieves who stole her suitcase and purse. In it were all the documents we needed for her visa interview. It was a big loss to us both and set us back in her coming to the US. But a few days later she was right back on the train to her hometown to get all the documents replaced...Where's that thread about Chinese women being steel rods covered in flowers??? :blink:

All kinds of thefts have been commonplace in China since time immemorial...Is it getting worse??? Are there reliable statistics??? Who can be sure since oral anecdotal evidence is usually not worth the paper its printed on... :blink:

My wife was mugged coming out of the GZ train station just about exactly 3 years ago. She was knocked down by a pair of motorcycle thieves who stole her suitcase and purse. In it were all the documents we needed for her visa interview. It was a big loss to us both and set us back in her coming to the US. But a few days later she was right back on the train to her hometown to get all the documents replaced...Where's that thread about Chinese women being steel rods covered in flowers??? :wub:

I think theft of this nature always is happening and the rise in prices are not the direct cause of it. If you think about it, cities the size we are talking about in China will always have some kind of minor crimes like this. Women are aways going to be the preferred target for muggings because it is easier to grab a purse and run with it. Of course one should always tell your loved one to be careful.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Yesterday MY SOs good friend had her motorcycle ripped off. Her friend stopped to buy some shoes and in 10 minute her bike was gone.

I think theft of this nature always is happening and the rise in prices are not the direct cause of it. If you think about it, cities the size we are talking about in China will always have some kind of minor crimes like this. Women are aways going to be the preferred target for muggings because it is easier to grab a purse and run with it. Of course one should always tell your loved one to be careful.

Corbin, we all know the nature of crime in large cities, but you don't think unemployment, coupled with inflation, would cause a surge in crime in a metropolitan area? If those experiencing and witnessing these incidents on a frequent basis since the rise of prices, how can there not be a correlation? You don't live in China and these assumptions are based on a Chinese woman's POV.

Yes, thefts of this nature are always happening as you stated, but you just can't eliminate inflation as a factor. Things happen for a reason.

Edited by yimi386 (see edit history)

Corbin, we all know the nature of crime in large cities, but you don't think unemployment, coupled with inflation, would cause a surge in crime in a metropolitan area? If those experiencing and witnessing these incidents on a frequent basis since the rise of prices, how can there not be a correlation? You don't live in China and these assumptions are based on a Chinese woman's POV.

Yes, thefts of this nature are always happening as you stated, but you just can't eliminate inflation as a factor. Things happen for a reason.

I will say that it can have a contributing factor in the crime rate, but crime also goes up in times when there is no inflation as there is now. Petty crimes like this happen all over the world in major city and my not living in China has no bearing on the statement I said in my previous post.

It is a well known fact that crime and unemployment rates are linked. I don't see why China would be any different. With high inflation belts are tightened and people laid off. Desparate people do desparate things. All the same I still think China is safer.