Retiring in China...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to teach at a chinese university and/or consult for chinese companies. They can handle the visa issues and sign the papers i need signed. That is one of the only ways i know to get the longer visas and to not worry about them renewing the visas.

Anyone else have additional ideas?

Besides working at a tire factory?

Edited by Don (see edit history)

I want to teach at a chinese university and/or consult for chinese companies. They can handle the visa issues and sign the papers i need signed. That is one of the only ways i know to get the longer visas and to not worry about them renewing the visas.

In "longer visas" you mean 1 year, right?

Your best bet is a university. Chinese companies can rarely get visas for consultants. In fact, to get you a visa you need to be a legitimate full-time employee ... and even then.

Add to this the fact that China is racist.

Why do you say Chinese are racist?

Although I did not make the statement...it seems to me than Han Chinese IN GENERAL look down on the minority peoples of China... :ph34r:

Well...now that it's been asked...

Certainly there is racism in all cultures and societies. Tribal allegiances, religious persecution, skin tone discrimination...these aren't unique to just one country. China is no exception. Although us Americans don't see or probably don't relate to Chinese racism like we do or can to racism in America, I see class and skin color distinction and discrimination frequently within my Chinese circle of friends and acquaintances. It's seems to be accepted and understood that it is just the way life IS.

The pay is not nearly what we make at American universities.

I'll be doing curriculum development for a Chinese university this summer. However, it's through the American 'sister' university. My salary is based on the American university's pay scale (and they're paying for my international air fare and room & board).

A Chinese university would never give you a deal like that. (Not even Peking University, which is the highest ranked in China.)

That's how I got a 90 day business visa.

If you were going to stay and teach you would get a Z type visa, which can be for a longer period of time. I've never had any problem getting visa extensions in China.

I have heard (unsubstantiated) that a Chinese 'green card' is next to impossible to get approved. Maybe, they think they have enough people?

The pay is not nearly what we make at American universities.

I'll be doing curriculum development for a Chinese university this summer. However, it's through the American 'sister' university. My salary is based on the American university's pay scale (and they're paying for my international air fare and room & board).

A Chinese university would never give you a deal like that. (Not even Peking University, which is the highest ranked in China.)

That's how I got a 90 day business visa.

If you were going to stay and teach you would get a Z type visa, which can be for a longer period of time. I've never had any problem getting visa extensions in China.

I have heard (unsubstantiated) that a Chinese 'green card' is next to impossible to get approved. Maybe, they think they have enough people?

We actually have a member who has achieved the nearly impossible... :o GZBILL...check out this thread Richard...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26331

The pay for teachers that I have found on a very limited search is 5,500rmb per month and on up, with a few at 3,500rmb (this includes paying for your trip to and from China, meeting you in Beijing and taking you to the city you'll teach in, medical, an apartment and a few other incentives). No, I'm not expecting the medical bene's or the apartment to be very much :o And, they'll take care of your Z visa.

While that isn't up to an american University professors pay, if one MUST compare "apples to oranges" then, I think the american's pay would be pared down substansially by the cost of an american home and the taxes on that home and the cost of living in america.

I talk often to another guy on here who is in contact with lots of teachers in China and he's found pay scales in some cities that starts at 12,500 for a few months and if you and the school are happy, then it goes to 16,000 monthly.

Seek, and ye shall recieve...maybe.

tsap seui

I wasn't advising against it. Sorry, if I made it sound like that.

Teaching at a Chinese university is a great experience. If a person has the opportunity, I'd say "go for it".

The salary range you mentioned is about right (although > 10,000 RMB per month would be a lot for a visiting foreign prof.) and they do provide pretty nice living quarters. A professor is a very well respected position in China.

In terms of American pay ranges. Between $80K & $100K is about average. You won't get rich doing it, but it's a pretty good job.