Retiring in China...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17559

:o Nearly 2 years since this thread on how to go about actually living in China... ;) Time flies... :lol: Anyway I see no substantial differences in the regs from either side we talked about here...But we have decided that Lu Li will become a USC. It's what we both want and we don't want to have to worry about green cards, different citizenships, etc. She wants the extra security of being a USC and I agree. So if we ultimately cannot make any of the Chinese visas work then perhaps it will be off to a foreigner friendly retirement place like Malaysia... B)

http://www.mm2h.com/#

with it's special program Malaysia My 2nd Home... :)

http://www.magazine.expatkl.com/index_nologin2.php

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rog, keep on posting buddy. There are more people interested in this than you can imagine.

I like reading what you have found, and done.

It's been 16 months since I met my lil' rabbit, over 7 months since her interview, and while we feel we may be close to a letter being sent to her, we have no clue, is it a visa, another lame assed blue slip, a denial??? No clue???

I read CFL like crazy to prepare for the interview, now I read it to prepare plan B, and of course...for humor.

tsap seui :lol:

I agree Roger,

I have always veiwed the houses as a place holder and an investment. Not the acutal home i might live in. Many locations can pop up as nice. I have traveled a fair amout over asia for work. I think many locations will be great.

Edited by Don (see edit history)

Good to hear I'm not just talking to myself... :blink: It sure would be nice if China instituted something like this Malaysian thingie for retirees. There you get a 10 year visa to start and all kinds of other goodies... :D It would bring money into the Chinese economy, provide jobs, etc. On the downside for China it would probably make inflation a little worse especially for housing. But how many people could we be talking about anywho??? In Malaysia they've given out 10,000 of these visas which would be a spit in the ocean in China... :rolleyes:

And on the houses as an investment thingie I am right there. Laopo was talking to her father last night and he said we did the right thing by buying our 2 places in China. He is worried that his money sitting in the bank is being eroded by inflation much faster than what it is earning him in interest. He wishes he had bought another house instead... :unsure:

Good to hear I'm not just talking to myself... :blink: It sure would be nice if China instituted something like this Malaysian thingie for retirees. There you get a 10 year visa to start and all kinds of other goodies... :D It would bring money into the Chinese economy, provide jobs, etc. On the downside for China it would probably make inflation a little worse especially for housing. But how many people could we be talking about anywho??? In Malaysia they've given out 10,000 of these visas which would be a spit in the ocean in China... :rolleyes:

And on the houses as an investment thingie I am right there. Laopo was talking to her father last night and he said we did the right thing by buying our 2 places in China. He is worried that his money sitting in the bank is being eroded by inflation much faster than what it is earning him in interest. He wishes he had bought another house instead... :unsure:

My wife was really worried about leaving money in china and we decided that the only path to still have some money left for after we retire was to invest, but the market is way to risky without constant mointoring. The answer was some houses. We took the money and bought an aditionally house. That way we at least move with the standard of living in China. My feeling was that money able to buy a house today put in bank will not buy house in 10 years.

Good to hear I'm not just talking to myself... :D It sure would be nice if China instituted something like this Malaysian thingie for retirees. There you get a 10 year visa to start and all kinds of other goodies... :D It would bring money into the Chinese economy, provide jobs, etc. On the downside for China it would probably make inflation a little worse especially for housing. But how many people could we be talking about anywho??? In Malaysia they've given out 10,000 of these visas which would be a spit in the ocean in China... :rolleyes:

My wife was really worried about leaving money in china and we decided that the only path to still have some money left for after we retire was to invest, but the market is way to risky without constant mointoring. The answer was some houses. We took the money and bought an aditionally house. That way we at least move with the standard of living in China. My feeling was that money able to buy a house today put in bank will not buy house in 10 years.

Absolutely...In 2006 laopo wasn't sure if we should jump in and buy houses...What if the market went down??? What if the sky fell??? :blink: I said okay we'll wait but here's the prices for what we want today...Now if the prices go up in a few more years then YOU GET TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE... :o For some reason she really didn't like that idea at all... :P So we went ahead and bought and have enjoyed very nice increases in value... :D

Guest Mike and Lily
Good to hear I'm not just talking to myself... :huh: It sure would be nice if China instituted something like this Malaysian thingie for retirees. There you get a 10 year visa to start and all kinds of other goodies... ;) It would bring money into the Chinese economy, provide jobs, etc. On the downside for China it would probably make inflation a little worse especially for housing. But how many people could we be talking about anywho??? In Malaysia they've given out 10,000 of these visas which would be a spit in the ocean in China... :ph34r:

And on the houses as an investment thingie I am right there. Laopo was talking to her father last night and he said we did the right thing by buying our 2 places in China. He is worried that his money sitting in the bank is being eroded by inflation much faster than what it is earning him in interest. He wishes he had bought another house instead... :blink:

Absolutely...In 2006 laopo wasn't sure if we should jump in and buy houses...What if the market went down??? What if the sky fell??? :jerry: I said okay we'll wait but here's the prices for what we want today...Now if the prices go up in a few more years then YOU GET TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE... B) For some reason she really didn't like that idea at all... ;) So we went ahead and bought and have enjoyed very nice increases in value... ;)

Not to mention the exchange value of the dollar either.

Edited by Mike and Lily (see edit history)

Good to hear I'm not just talking to myself... :lol: It sure would be nice if China instituted something like this Malaysian thingie for retirees. There you get a 10 year visa to start and all kinds of other goodies... :angry:

Seems like that day is still far, far, far away.

Good to hear I'm not just talking to myself... :blink: It sure would be nice if China instituted something like this Malaysian thingie for retirees. There you get a 10 year visa to start and all kinds of other goodies... :blink:

I know you're right Bill... :sosad: Malaysia is a very small country with only 27 million people so allowing foreigners to retire with a good deal makes sense for them. In China there is just way more downside than up in people's perceptions of letting "outsiders" who are already considered "rich" get a better deal than their own citizens... :ph34r:

Good to hear I'm not just talking to myself... :blink: It sure would be nice if China instituted something like this Malaysian thingie for retirees. There you get a 10 year visa to start and all kinds of other goodies... :blink:

I know you're right Bill... :sosad: Malaysia is a very small country with only 27 million people so allowing foreigners to retire with a good deal makes sense for them. In China there is just way more downside than up in people's perceptions of letting "outsiders" who are already considered "rich" get a better deal than their own citizens... :ph34r:

Right.

Add to this the fact that China is racist.

Malaysia ... NOW you're talkin' !

Okay Jim we're all ears... :blink: Tell us about it... B)

No special insights Rog ... I've been there a few times, even walked there once (from Singapore).

Nice place. Not too expensive. Multi-cultural.

Beats China hands down as a place for a laowai to live. Just my opinion ...

• 2 weeks later...